Reloading…virgin brass at max load?

Emine

Im newer to reloading. My question is when loading virgin brass is there anything wrong with loading near max load? Or is it better to load a few grains lower?

I'm loading for a 6.5 prc. N565 powder. Federal large rifle magnum primers. 156 Berger's virgin Lapua brass.

I did load up ladder test looking for pressure Loaded from 55 grains up to 60 grains. I stopped at 60 grains. No pressure signs. Bolt lift was easy. Brass and primer looked good

I'm guessing at 60 it's running pretty hot.

So is there anything wrong with just running them at 60 grains ?

Then re evaluate after all the brass has been fired?

Or is it advised to go a couple grains down for virgin brass?

QL estimates 75,314 psi for 60 grains with COAL of 2.995" and case capacity of 65.9 grains of water. I would expect the brass would be showing signs of pressure at that level unless you are running a longer COAL and/or have a greater case capacity.

If shooting the 'virgin brass'...the first firing 'reshapes the brass' closer to your chamber..so that takes away 'some pressure'......load that brass again at the same....you may blow up more than your gun......I've wrecked the face of two bolts by having a slightly hot load.....
Save money....and save 'face'...
Be careful....

Im newer to reloading. My question is when loading virgin brass is there anything wrong with loading near max load? Or is it better to load a few grains lower?

I'm loading for a 6.5 prc. N565 powder. Federal large rifle magnum primers. 156 Berger's virgin Lapua brass.

I did load up ladder test looking for pressure Loaded from 55 grains up to 60 grains. I stopped at 60 grains. No pressure signs. Bolt lift was easy. Brass and primer looked good

I'm guessing at 60 it's running pretty hot.

So is there anything wrong with just running them at 60 grains ?

Then re evaluate after all the brass has been fired?

Or is it advised to go a couple grains down for virgin brass?
I always load virgin brass on the low side to give it a chance to conform to my change and set primer pockets. After 1 st time I then push it up. My brass never lasted pushing it up 1st time. I had a better product starting low first.

I never had issues with virgin brass regardless if I loaded to max or not. However, it was always premium brand stuff.
I agree. Typically you will get a bit less velocity. My Edge doesn't suffer lower velocity with virgin brass (ADG). One of my Lapaus suffers maybe 20 fps less. One of my 300 RUMs drops about 50 fps so I load an additional 1/2 grain of powder.

QL estimates 75,314 psi for 60 grains with COAL of 2.995" and case capacity of 65.9 grains of water. I would expect the brass would be showing signs of pressure at that level unless you are running a longer COAL and/or have a greater case capacity.
Ok thanks. Yea so 75,000 is pretty high huh.

Yea my COAL is longer so maybe little less pressure

I think this is how some of the ammo makers get some of the velocity claims they do. I have tried to load Hornday cases from some factory I have and they are tough to sixe, primer pockets are soft, and they even have ejector print on the case head.

Virgin cases bleed off pressure forming to the chamber. Agree with above, you may find you are a bit over if you load that same 60gr load on fireformed cases.

Ok thanks for the help and advice. Yea I understand the next time could have pressure issues. I was just curious if there is anything wrong with running virgin brass hot. And the reevaluate the load for the next firing. But sounds like it could damage the life of the brass.

Guess maybe I drop down to 58 grains and run that for the first firing. Loaded a few at 58 grains and shot them. They are going 2860 fps average and shot pretty decent.

Attachments

• IMG_5357.jpeg
    IMG_5357.jpeg
    546.9 KB · Views: 20