Redding seating die VLD stem question

KyleC

I have a standard Redding 6.5 PRC seating die. While trying to load some Berger 156's I noticed the tips of the bullets were getting deformed in the seating process. I pulled the stem and noticed the bullet only contacts the tip of the bullet and not the ogive. Do they make VLD seating stems for standard dies? I could only find them for the Comp dies.

I have a standard Redding 6.5 PRC seating die. While trying to load some Berger 156's I noticed the tips of the bullets were getting deformed in the seating process. I pulled the stem and noticed the bullet only contacts the tip of the bullet and not the ogive. Do they make VLD seating stems for standard dies? I could only find them for the Comp dies.
No, you used to be able to order custom stems, I don't see them offering that anymore.
What you can do is drill a 1/8" hole in the stem, clean it up and the point will no longer make contact.
I have done this, but some bullet styles require a tapered hole, harder to do, but a lathe helps, and tooling.

Cheers.

Call Redding. I just did this. They make a micrometer with VLD stem that you replace the current stem and adjustment insert in your current die. Redding does not sell direct.
This is the info from midway . The insert covers a number od calibers.
  • Product #: 163434
  • Manufacturer #: 09167
  • UPC #: 611760091674
(65)Write a Review

Call Redding. I just did this. They make a micrometer with VLD stem that you replace the current stem and adjustment insert in your current die. Redding does not sell direct.
This is the info from midway . The insert covers a number od calibers.
  • Product #: 163434
  • Manufacturer #: 09167
  • UPC #: 611760091674
(65)Write a Review
I looked on Midway site with that P.N. and it brings up this micrometer but does not show it fitting a 6.5 PRC. Any other ideas may help.

No, you used to be able to order custom stems, I don't see them offering that anymore.
What you can do is drill a 1/8" hole in the stem, clean it up and the point will no longer make contact.
I have done this, but some bullet styles require a tapered hole, harder to do, but a lathe helps, and tooling.

Cheers.
What MagnumManiac said. I've even drilled and slightly tapered mine with a small Cone burr bit on a drill. You have to be careful and work slow. I don't have a lathe.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240724_064834_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240724_064834_Chrome.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 22
I looked on Midway site with that P.N. and it brings up this micrometer but does not show it fitting a 6.5 PRC. Any other ideas may help.
Call them directly. It covers a number of calibers. Ask for tech help and if it won't handle your caliber they will give you the exact order number

Mine was doing the same thing. I put a little bit of JB Weld in my seating stem. Took a loaded round and covered it with release agent. Ran the bullet into the die and let it sit for 24 hours. Took it apart and cleaned it up a little bit. Now it works great. Basically made a custom seating stem.