Ramshot LRT in 7PRC

Huntsman66

Afternoon All,

I am wanting to test some Ramshot LRT in 7mmPRC, has anyone done any testing with this powder with a 175gn class bullet yet?

would love to hear what you are seeing with this powder..

Thanks

Afternoon All,

I am wanting to test some Ramshot LRT in 7mmPRC, has anyone done any testing with this powder with a 175gn class bullet yet?

Thanks
That depends on the brand, I.e., if Berger, contact their tech support and they can send you a list of recommendations.

If you are using 175 NABLR, go to Hodgdon reloading data center and they are showing one for the LRT.

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Thanks
Bumping this thread up as I have this same question. LRT is available "for now" but I have zero knowledge of Ramshot powders other than whats posted on their load data webpage. I have limited experience reloading with only a few powders (RL-26 and Retumbo for 300 PRC and H4350 for 6.5 Creedmoor - all of which no longer exist) so I'm looking to try what is available for a new 7 PRC build. Also interested in Ramshot Magnum for some testing if anyone has used that in similar loading? Compressed loads or any data/velocities out of 20" bbls on 7 PRC's

Hodgdon Web Site.
Huntsman66 and I were asking if anyone has actually tested with it. I referenced that the only data is what I've read on Hodgdon's webpage and load data in my previous message. Looking for more information or if folks have a positive experience using it. Would like know shorter than posted 24" bbl velocities from folks reloading with it and some general discussion and help.

Afternoon All,

Thanks
Huntsman66 - this is another thread I found looking for more information on LRT....

it is in the reloading form or threads and is old but just looking for more info.

I talked to Berger rep about LRT for my 6.8 Western and he said it would be too slow, no idea what this means for 7PRC beings the PRC has more powder capacity. Allegedly it would have required 115% fill level to reach retumbo/Magnum velocities in the 6.8.

I assume it would be a good option for 180+ grain bullets, but that's pure conjecture.

Roll some ammo up with it and get back to us, I'd love to know how it works

I talked to Berger rep about LRT for my 6.8 Western and he said it would be too slow, no idea what this means for 7PRC beings the PRC has more powder capacity. Allegedly it would have required 115% fill level to reach retumbo/Magnum velocities in the 6.8.

I assume it would be a good option for 180+ grain bullets, but that's pure conjecture.

Roll some ammo up with it and get back to us, I'd love to know how it works
Agreed I've got some LRT in my local store and would like to try Ramshot magnum as well if I can get some...will try some loads just to see what velocity I get out of a 20" pipe.

But geez are components rare and expensive now, trying to do some reasonable loading with out burning up my checking acct.

I have used LRT in a 300PRC and got amazing accuracy, it was .5MOA with a factory rifle. I found that the ladder test went well and load development was pretty simple. It was right around 2,900FPS shooting 225gr ELDM bullet along with lapua brass, if I remember correctly on the FPS.

Anyways, I would definitely recommend the powder. It meters well and a little easier to find. As far as using it on a 7PRC; I have not a clue.

BEEA2561-5C83-40EB-98B6-31EAF73C6089.png

That's what hodgdon has for load data on the 7PRC using LRT with 180 grain bullet.

I have used LRT in a 300PRC and got amazing accuracy, it was .5MOA with a factory rifle. I found that the ladder test went well and load development was pretty simple. It was right around 2,900FPS shooting 225gr ELDM bullet along with lapua brass, if I remember correctly on the FPS.

Anyways, I would definitely recommend the powder. It meters well and a little easier to find. As far as using it on a 7PRC; I have not a clue.
Hey thanks that's good to hear. What barrel length on your 300 were you getting 2900 with? I'm getting 2880fps with factory 212's, definitely be nice to get some more velocity but is shooting .5-.75 consistently with my average shooting ability.

If testing in the 7 PRC doesn't go as planned will try LRT in my 300 PRC as well.

Agreed I've got some LRT in my local store and would like to try Ramshot magnum as well if I can get some...will try some loads just to see what velocity I get out of a 20" pipe.

But geez are components rare and expensive now, trying to do some reasonable loading with out burning up my checking acct.
Ramshot Magnum gives me slightly better velocity than Retumbo at the cost of some temperature stability. Love it as a less expensive option

24 inch barrel was the length. I found that the rifle I had like the powder close to pressure.
Ramshot Magnum gives me slightly better velocity than Retumbo at the cost of some temperature stability. Love it as a less expensive option
Thank you both for the info. Now I'm now looking for Ramshot Magnum as well. Would like to test LRT and Magnum head to head. Hodgdon mentions a compressed load for LRT in the 7prc for the 175… interested to see what velocities I get.

Is the temperature sensitivity noticeable? Are we talking like a .5 moa poa shift or are the wheels falling off if it gets a little cold?