Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

Is a bunch of sandhills cranes called a gaggle? At any rate a huge flock of them just flew over on their way south. We will be getting a cold front moving in from Canada mid-week and hopefully it will dump some moisture on a few of the fires and help lower the fire risk in this part of the world. I have a question for Mr. Windypants how many rounds you are getting with your long-range Wheeler 30-28N rifle before you start seeing some throat erosion? What type of material is it made of, does it have chrome lining inside the barrel? We used nitrating on 416 stainless steels in the steam turbines to harden the surface but not make it brittle I have a few barrels that are nitrated but they are mostly slower speed rounds and not known as having throat erosion problems, for several thousand rounds. I wonder if that would give a longer life to the faster running hotter rounds with a lot of hot gas's eating away at the throat areas, does anyone have any experience in that area? A friend from South Dakota dropped by the other day for a visit and a coffee. I'm going to fix a knife for him, and I might send a new blade for it made out of 440C stainless. I studied on the steel that the original blades are made of and refined the heat treatment of it to make them a better blade that lasts longer and holds an edge better. The way I do it wouldn't be cost efficient for the manufacture, but it's something that I can do and something that I enjoy doing. Time wise it doesn't involve much in actual working time but the resting and ageing time for the steel does take three days. In the actual working time, I will have less than an hour per blade. A curious mind can be a gift or a curse, I enjoy mine and like to learn but there are times that it can be frustrating for the people around me. I have been told so many times you're an a09765e you make me feel like I'm a re013d because just when I get to doing something the way you showed me you start doing it a different way. Yup don't get set in your ways the coyotes don't, and they will adapt to you if you do, and your numbers will fall off. My job is to kill them and to teach you as many ways as I can so that you have a good supply of knowledge to keep them off balance and not knowing what you will do. I was out visiting with a rancher the other day he had his hands there and we got to talking about coyotes, as is normal, he asked me how many coyotes did you kill for me last summer in the month that you were here I said not many just 15. His one hand said that's how many we killed all year. He laughed and told them that's why I call him, then I said yes but you have to remember that I don't have other jobs to do at the same time. He then said yes but at the same time you fixed fence, washed out roads and water tanks as you found them needing worked on. My reply to that was well I was there, and it needed done your guys would do it if they saw it but there was no need for them to drop what they were doing just to go over there and fix something when I was there already.

To me there's BIG flocks and little flocks lol. Still in harvest here but getting closer to being done. Maybe another week or 2. VERY dry here too as well. Some trees are going from dull green to yellow to falling off and bare of leaves in a matter of days. While sightings have still been almost nonexistent, I have heard a few coyotes after dark now and then. Seems like that happens about now every year when the fields get picked and the loose their cover. Well here comes the grain cart with another load of beans. Back to the elevator I go.

Dave, this 30-28 is definitely a hot rod barrel burner, but I like it for its long range accuracy and performance in the wind. It's a Bartlein stainless barrel. The throat erosion starts right away but I only have to retune the load once in its short life—about 600 rounds. I was going to try their harder steel barrels but got warned to wait and see how they hold up from others. I have t heard any reports yet. I know a local gunsmith who tried nitriding the bores, and he said they appeared to wear better at first, but then started breaking chunks out instead of the normal erosion, so no net gain.