Question on grouse

I just realized I had a good story on this topic . I'm 69 now but have hunted since I was 14.
Anyway
Back in '72 a friend and I were out scouting . Driving along an old forest service road .
We spotted a blue grouse ahead of us on a clover patch . I had recently purchased a S&W 22 revolver and proudly said " I'll get him". I took three shots and missed . The bird wobbled it's head and stayed put.
My buddy got out . Pulled his sling shot and a steel ball and we had grouse for dinner😳😁.
I sold the pistol . Haven't owned one since .
Happy hunting

Grouse are a starving hunters appetite's best friend. Due to the fact that they appear so stupid, one can kill them with a rock or a stick, sometimes, because they appear to freeze in your presence. Because they have no scent, this is how they camouflage themselves from most predators who don't see in color like man does.
I would suggest a pellet pistol, that you can pump because, you can most probably kill one with a couple of pumps. This will keep the noise to a minimum and provide you with excellent table fare.

I backpack into high country wilderness areas and hunt deer and elk with a muzzleloader.

I need a compact and quiet weapon to take the grouse encountered almost daily to cook in camp and think a quality air pistol may be the answer.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks
Wrist rocket (slingshot with arm brace) with the steel ammo they come with, or get creative. Weighs hardly anything and VERY quiet.

As Aguila goes the Aguila sniper subsonic 22LR 60gr rimfire ammo works well in some .22 LR's they are quite tame on the noise in, that bad little 60gr is a hammer and a very good performer in pistols and/or rifles that will shoot them, the Marlin Micro-Groove barrels seem to shoot it really well. Cheers

1654187029780.png

I backpack into high country wilderness areas and hunt deer and elk with a muzzleloader.

I need a compact and quiet weapon to take the grouse encountered almost daily to cook in camp and think a quality air pistol may be the answer.

Thanks
Didn't @Jeffpg post this 12 years ago? Exact same wording.

Last edited:
Amazon product ASIN B00TEACFXWI have shot enough grouse with my 1377 to know that they are accurate and powerful enough to do the job. They also offer a buttstock so you could configure it as a carbine or a pistol(since they're not considered a firearm). Here is a set that includes scope mounts.

Amazon product ASIN B00ZBONFO8
I hunted grouse for years while we had a high population in Kentucky. With a 20 gauge Benelli and number 6 or 7½ high brass. 6 better in thick vegetation. Point I'm getting to is the toughness of feathers will surprise most folks. I will also say within range a good air weapon should work as the other poster said they had actual experience with. Caliber might make a difference, as my Gamo Swarm magnum is 22 and hits *very* hard with excellent accuracy.

Wrist rocket sling shot and a glass marble, olive oil, chili seasoning mix, frying pan, sharp knife.
I love wrist rockets! Powerful, quiet & effective!
This reminds me of one of my elk hunts. My buddy and I run into a few grouse, and all we can do is thew rock at them. I grew up hunting with it and now carry them with me; you can use all kinds of projectiles, including rocks. I also have a bow version.

Pictures added:

Wrist rocket bow 1 of 2.jpg
Wrist rocket bow 2 of 2.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks
Are you thinking single projectile or shot string? You won't get much quieter than a .22LR handgun with a can. You have a very broad selection of ammo from CB to LR standard and hi-velocity in single projectile. Then there is bird shot. Don't know if bird shot round is compatible with a can?? Possibly an over caliber can could be used with bird shot???

You have received many suggestions here but 22 cal suppressed is not possible in California. I personally like the crossman .177 with the pointed match pellets. 10 pumps gets you 600fps and mine will group about 1" at 20 yards. Reasonably quiet and certainly will take down grouse, squirrels and cottontail rabbits. I installed the reduced trigger spring in mine which brought it down to 3 lb pull. These are light and inexpensive. Effective.

Nobody as far as I know, but air guns are exempt from the lead free requirements, its only firearms.
I'm only on page 1 but Gamo makes PBA pellets . There are lighter and faster but in a pellet pistol will still be subsonic. I've shot them with .177 and .22 pellet rifles thru 3/8 plywood with no deformation at all and reused. If I use them instead of lead on a couple of my rifles and not lead, way louder. Breaks sound barrier I think around 1000 fps.? I have a Sig 226 CO2 pellet pistol made in "Japan" that has two 12 Rd. Mags but it is heavy to duplicate the real 9mm Sig 226. It awesome with blow back slide and all. It shoots only around 500 fps but faster with PBA pellets. I used to shoot doves with it. Crows out to 62 yds. With rifles.
IMG_20220602_111823299_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Haven't seen anyone recommend an AR7 or Chiappa Little Badger yet. With sub sonics it should fit most of the OP's requirements (quiet-ish), compact, reasonably accurate within 100 yards(entirely dependent on the shooter's ability).