Puffy Jacket

the blur

Doing my 1st real back packing Sheep hunt. It was recommended that I buy a puffy jacket.

I have plenty of camo, and winter gear. Is the puffy jacket really that much lighter??? or that much easier to squish into a back pack ??

For bottoms, the Superdown Pro pants are awesome. The side zips are nice to avoid having to take your boots off when taking off or putting on. Just pull your pants down and do what you gotta do: https://www.kuiu.com/products/super-down-pro-pant-vias-camouflage?variant=40340200882334

For upper, I had an older Kuiu but it was not that warm and it didnt have a hood. It gets really windy up there in sheep country, especially when glassing, so a hood is a must. I like my SG Grumman: https://www.stoneglacier.com/produc...L50Bf8REjCARAEqq0AsBb79QtjPtL16BoCy60QAvD_BwE

when and where are you going?
You might be able to get away with the Superdown icon on a July early august hunt but if its late season, you might need the burner?
Anything in July Aug or Sept id personally bring the Superdown pro
Oct up north, need the burner
That wind can be ferocious
And if your not comfortable glassing, your not going to be glassing as much

I've had several Mountain Hardware ghost whispers I found out a season on clearance in Earth Tones of green and dark gray that work great and pack up nice and Tiny. Favorite was a cerium lt from arcteryx but it lost cells pretty quick as it was almost to light for Un shelled use.
These pack down so small for the warmth they provide.

Can't imagine not having a puffy. Love mine, well 4-5 of mine. Get a tight fitting puffy, it'll pack down smaller and you can wear it under rain gear. Make sure it has a hood! A puffy with a hood is warm! I like down for packability and warmth but make sure you have a way to keep it dry if it's wet conditions.

I don't often use hunting brand puff jackets.
I have the Patagonia nano, which is synthetic, for less cold but more wet environments, the ghost whisper that was mentioned above for usual mountain temp prior to December/Jan. I use these the most.

I have an under armour ridge reaper hoody puffy. It's good for high country summers, and a ridge reaper parka puffy? It's a little heavier…uses heavier nylon shell, 800 full goose down, water resistant. That one is good for around 0 degrees by itself (for me), and still folds into its own pocket, to pack.

Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering
You want baffle box construction, not sewn through, for better warmth.
One I just became aware of on top of those two is the MontBell Alpine Down Parka, not the light, the normal Alpine down parka, it's baffle construction, a hefty 7.1oz fill and only $330. This may very well be "great deal" winner, and it may not be a close race, I can't find anything that'll compete.

Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering have jackets that'll cover going to get your mail to climbing Everest in the worst blizzard ever seen. These don't tend to be cheap but I don't know that I'd say they're inappropriate, especially given where and how they're made.

First Lite doesn't give you proper rating of their garment, we know First Lite does China, so, no. I'm sure it's "fair enough" but for the price, just no, no point.
Stone Glacier does give a proper rating, but 5oz loses to the MontBell and it's sewn through, which really loses.

I could care less about kuiu but I believe you've got to go to their Super Down Burner before you hit baffle box construction, does appear to have a decent fill weight, is very expensive and therefore I'd be going Western Mountaineering and supporting America or Feathered Friends with far more America friendly construction, better for similar cost, probably less, depending.
The Super Down Burner does seem like it'd have the most durable outer layer, the companies I listed initially do have varying degrees of durable down jackets but I don't believe they hit this level. However, kuiu doesn't give a total weight, so I'm guessing this durable outer is going to be heavy, which tends to be a double-edged sword.

Generally, with a down jacket they are light and tend to be fairly fragile, but the point is extreme packability and extreme light weight for warmth level, with the idea that you're throwing some form of outer layer over it when needed.

They aren't really meant to be "the" outer layer, and there's multiple reasons for this, but really the obvious Trump card just being that a person isn't generally going to want to be sweating their nuggets off busting brush and doing intensive hiking with a puffy on like these.

You'd generally pull these off to get after putting on miles and busting brush/climbing steep slopes.

Then you put these on when glassing, chilling back at camp, sitting and calling etc...

Now if you don't need warmth... well, get whatever, but even if it isn't going to be 20 below zero, but 20 or 30 above with heavy wind because you're on a mountain, it would lead me right to going with what I noted. I'd err on the side of too warm vs. too cold, personally.

I've got some Western Mountaineering gear, it's good stuff, I think I might buy one of those MontBell to try and see what they're about, you sent me down a path I didn't need to traverse, though I do have a ton of down gear, what's one more thing.