Primers

Known this for 30+ years.
Our range meetings brought this subject up almost every month.
So, we put 20 pistol primers and 20 rifle primers in a jar, poured in WD40 to cover them and let them sit for 2 months. Dried them off and let sit upside down on absorbent paper shop cloth for 2 additional weeks.
Loaded them in cases, no powder or bullet, all primers fired without issue.
I have never had a primer fail to fire, even those that I have taken out and re-used.

Cheers.

Thirty years ago, I used WD-40 to clean my brass and it worked really well. But on my elk hunt, when I pulled the trigger, the primer didn't go off. It is the only failure to fire I've had in 50 years of reloading. I won't use WD-40 to clean my brass after that.

Back in the early 80's a friends was dredging the potomac river and dug up 50 bmg and 20mm from WW2 that had been dumped in the river. He brought some in and I took them home and opened them. Powder was fine and burned perfectly. No doubt the primers were fine too after 40+ yrs in the river
Now whoever produced those primers should have used that for an advertisement!

Now whoever produced those primers should have used that for an advertisement!
LOL, I doubt they ever knew their product ended up at the bottom of a river and may not want it known. LOL Friend said there were thousands of rounds in the river.
In 50 yrs of handloading, I've touched thousands of primers and never harmed one that I know of. I was always careful to keep hands clean though