Primer size

I agree on those two mag primers will probably work best. I normally will try 250, 215, WLM, 215M in that order. If it's struggling I will try standard primers even in big mags. I will also run mag primers in all case sizes often. I currently load for 2-RUM, 1-28N. The RUMs are not picky, and bullet depending use 250 or 215M. The 28N I did load Dev. last summer and it shoots 215M great. Never even tried 250 or WLM because they are too precious. 250 has worked the best the most often for me.
When you say 215M you mean 215 Match correct? Or OP you can use regular 215s. I had a dramatic POI shift switching to match primers using 210m. Just a word of caution...they can and do make a difference.

I have used both. If my loads are under or about 75grs, I use Fed-210 primers. I am generally using H4350 or H4831 powders in belted mags. I do try all different primers during load development. My go to have been Fed-210 and not even the match primers either. The other is I generally use 26" barrel lengths too. I never had problems in cool weather either. (-20 below to 110+). I have had problems in hot weather with some powders, and I don't use them any longer.

That rule of thumb for magnum primers with loads above 60g was coined by Speer…..who owned CCI at the time.
Guess marketing worked seeing as though EVERYONE now thinks that is what is required.
Carry on.

Cheers.

Magnum Maniac

during your winter months what is the coldest temperature has it gone down to on the.... Tropic Of Capricorn? 🤔

Last edited:
put WLRM use for 28 and 300
use 80-90 powder grains
Just figuring what primers t he at would be best? I'm going to be loading for 28nos and 300rum . Is there much difference between the large rifle and large Magnum rifle primers. Is there any benefits to one over the other