Primer size

shawn mcjunkin

Just figuring what primers t he at would be best? I'm going to be loading for 28nos and 300rum . Is there much difference between the large rifle and large Magnum rifle primers. Is there any benefits to one over the other

Just figuring what primers t he at would be best? I'm going to be loading for 28nos and 300rum . Is there much difference between the large rifle and large Magnum rifle primers. Is there any benefits to one over the other
You definitely want to to with the large rifle magnum primers for both or you're likely to have slow ignition problems that can then lead to a big flash with excessive pressures.

I agree on those two mag primers will probably work best. I normally will try 250, 215, WLM, 215M in that order. If it's struggling I will try standard primers even in big mags. I will also run mag primers in all case sizes often. I currently load for 2-RUM, 1-28N. The RUMs are not picky, and bullet depending use 250 or 215M. The 28N I did load Dev. last summer and it shoots 215M great. Never even tried 250 or WLM because they are too precious. 250 has worked the best the most often for me.

Prior to the 40's, there were no magnum primers and company's like Kynoch used normal primers that were larger in diameter than today. 505 Gibbs (150g powder) 416 Rigby (100g powder), 404 Jeffrey (90g powder) & the Nitro Express cartridges ranging from 100g on up of powder all fired without issue.
They all worked just fine, even when Roy Weatherby demanded that Federal came up with a primer to stop the hang fires he was getting while playing with REDUCED loads in his voluminous cartridges, they were not necessary as he found that NOT reducing loads to the level he was was the answer, not a hotter primer. Anyway, Roy Weatherby started the magnum primer craze and it quickly even involved handgun ammo and people wouldn't buy it unless it had magnum primers if the bullet name had "magnum" in it.
I use standard primers in cartridges like the 505 Gibbs regularly. Where doing this doesn't work is where there is insufficient load density, which is why they were invented in the first place.
The coldest primers on the planet are Remington…,,they sell millions of rounds large and small annually, their ammo goes bang and I bet they don't use magnum primers due to cost.

Cheers.

Last edited:
rule of thumb is ball powders or heavy charges of slow burning powders, especially in magnum cartridges, but also larger cartridges, need magnum primers, with cold weather conditions, according to load manuals. However some use standard primers. I like magnum primers due to better accuracy on some loads. Fliers are gone, and went from 1 inch to a half an inch group. Try standard primers, if they shoot well use them. All rifles are different, and I only heard one time, ".243 win. 38 grains with a 85 grain bullet shoots very well in any rifle I shot it in. That doesn't happen that often.

Last edited:
I used standard primers for years in a 7mm RM and never an issue, even down to 5 degrees. I still use them in more than a dozen cartridges without issues but then my magnum days are done. I do keep them on hand for testing purposes but they have never made a difference in my loads.

I see guys wearing latex gloves while loading yes. I get rust on my dies from handling them without gloves, but I coat them with case lube, preferably with a wax lube and that problem went away.

Yes. The magnum primers are designed to have a hotter "flame" to light large powder loads. Supposedly 60grs and less LR primers are used, 60grs+ used a LRM primer.

I've never had issues with that rule of thumb.
thank you that information helps

rule of thumb is ball powders or heavy charges of slow burning powders, especially in magnum cartridges, but also larger cartridges, need magnum primers, with cold weather conditions, according to load manuals. However some use standard primers. I like magnum primers due to better accuracy on some loads. Fliers are gone, and went from 1 inch to a half an inch group. Try standard primers, if they shoot well use them. All rifles are different, and I only heard one time, ".243 win. 38 grains with a 85 grain bullet shoots very well in any rifle I shot it in. That doesn't happen that often.
Thanks

Recent Posts