Primer size

A7665C1D-9C39-4A2F-9492-102444148731.jpeg

I recall reading somewhere years ago that some African PH's would throw a primer into the large capacity cases to make sure all the powder burned…. Not sure I would do that now…

I recall reading somewhere years ago that some African PH's would throw a primer into the large capacity cases to make sure all the powder burned…. Not sure I would do that now…
I kind of doubt that many did that since as a rule you're using factory ammo in Africa, especially if you live there.

Things can get sketchy taking reloads with you when you deal with the firearms/ammo import folks at the Airport. You'll find quickly that what is written in the reg's isn't necessarily what they are enforcing.

Save a few boxes from your favorite factory ammo if you're going to take your own reloads and put them in the factory boxes to eliminate a whole lot of questions and potential disappointments.

As for how good an idea it might or might not be, I'd call that a really bad plan especially with a repeater since the remainder of the loose primer could easily end up in your barrel or chamber which can lead to a whole long list of really bad things.

Personally, after shooting in frigid Alaska, I always use magnum primers in all my work-ups. When fine-tuning loads I may also try regular primers. I use CCI and Winchester primers, both Reg and Mag, which are hotter than most!

Hmmm didn't know that, good to know. Thanks MM
Prior to the 40's, there were no magnum primers and company's like Kynoch used normal primers that were larger in diameter than today. 505 Gibbs (150g powder) 416 Rigby (100g powder), 404 Jeffrey (90g powder) & the Nitro Express cartridges ranging from 100g on up of powder all fired without issue.
They all worked just fine, even when Roy Weatherby demanded that Federal came up with a primer to stop the hang fires he was getting while playing with REDUCED loads in his voluminous cartridges, they were not necessary as he found that NOT reducing loads to the level he was was the answer, not a hotter primer. Anyway, Roy Weatherby started the magnum primer craze and it quickly even involved handgun ammo and people wouldn't buy it unless it had magnum primers if the bullet name had "magnum" in it.
I use standard primers in cartridges like the 505 Gibbs regularly. Where doing this doesn't work is where there is insufficient load density, which is why they were invented in the first place.
The coldest primers on the planet are Remington…,,they sell millions of rounds large and small annually, their ammo goes bang and I bet they don't use magnum primers due to cost.

Cheers.

Last edited:
That rule of thumb for magnum primers with loads above 60g was coined by Speer…..who owned CCI at the time.
Guess marketing worked seeing as though EVERYONE now thinks that is what is required.
Carry on.

Cheers.
good info thanks !

Last edited:

The coldest primers on the planet are Remington

from the looks at it on this comparison, Rem 9 1/2 is the hottest.

Recent Posts