Premium 22LR Rifles

Hey guys, I've been thinking about getting a really nice 22LR rifle in the future. My budget is preferably $1500 and under. Since building custom rifles for myself, I've had the urge to buy a high quality 22LR. My Uncle has a Kimber 82 with a fluted barrel and beautiful walnut stock and that rifle is what got me wanting a nice rimfire for myself. Having said that, it doesn't seem that Kimber makes their rimfire rifles anymore and the same with Ruger's 77/22, that I also like. I don't know much about rimfires and if the Kimbers and 77/22 Rugers were accurate and reliable. For those with experience owning, shooting, and handling the Kimber 82s and Ruger 77/22s give me your thoughts and opinions on those rifles please. Also, what other premium rimfires would you recommend in my price range? I see that Cooper makes a beautiful 22LR, but the price tag is a little more than I'd like to spend on a rimfire, but other than Cooper, I don't see many classic, higher end rimfires currently available. Thank you!
Look at the Springfield model 2020. I handled one a a gun show. Feels comfortable and looks to be well made. Reviews are saying that it's a real performer.

Look at the Springfield model 2020. I handled one a a gun show. Feels comfortable and looks to be well made. Reviews are saying that it's a real performer.
I've looked and handled one also and yes they fit really nice for the price but I've heard, seen and read the opposite about the performance.
Kinda hoping the aftermarket world will have aftermarket barrels soon for them. I wouldn't mind buying one if it can be easily customized by the owner.

I've looked and handled one also and yes they fit really nice for the price but I've heard, seen and read the opposite about the performance.
Kinda hoping the aftermarket world will have aftermarket barrels soon for them. I wouldn't mind buying one if it can be easily customized by the owner.

I've also handled them a couple times. I thought they handled well, some had nice wood on them, and I really WANTED to like them, but the 37+ pages of reviews / discussions on RFC, as well as many review videos on YouTube have me not pulling the trigger.

It seems Springfield has a long way to go for the rifle to be worth their cost of admission- especially on the higher grade walnut versions.

Last edited:
It is always dangerous to follow these threads. I have now convinced myself that I need to buy another 22LR rifle. Now I'm struggling with what direction to go. I believe I have narrowed it down between the CZ 457 or the Tikka T1x. I love pretty wood, but I cringe with every scratch and dent that is bound to happen in the field. This 22 will be for squirrels and back yard varmints (armadillos, raccoons, etc.). Also used for cheap shooting practice.

It is always dangerous to follow these threads. I have now convinced myself that I need to buy another 22LR rifle. Now I'm struggling with what direction to go. I believe I have narrowed it down between the CZ 457 or the Tikka T1x. I love pretty wood, but I cringe with every scratch and dent that is bound to happen in the field. This 22 will be for squirrels and back yard varmints (armadillos, raccoons, etc.). Also used for cheap shooting practice.

I suppose that's a tough decision.. do you get the rifle you want (nice wood) and cringe if it were to get some marks from being used how it was intended, or get a rifle you don't prefer and always think of the one ya didn't get?

One man's opinion: I'm a walnut (and maple) and blued steel guy. I'd rather use a rifle with a nicely figured stock to chase some chubby fox squirrel around the woods, than use a plastic / synthetic / etc. stocked rifle.

I say find a rifle with some nice wood that you'd be happy with - then use it how it's intended. Some marks on a rifle just show it is being used like it should.

Plus, you could always do some wood treatments to help harden the finish and make it less prone to scratches and such - if you wanted.

The two Coopers I have are polar opposites. The 22lr has killed more squirrels than I can count. The 22 WMR has been in the woods maybe an hour its entire life. Plenty of scratches on the one, blueing worn on the bolt handle, but it shoots as well today as it did the day it arrived. I can't even remember how long I've had it. Right at $900 when I bought it, and I thought I was crazy spending so much.

Have you given any thought to a Weatherby ? If you find my thread under shotguns. Can you identify this manufacturer? There's a link there that has a few like new if not new older Weatherby. One is a 17hmr. 22lr, n 22 mag. All in I believe maple stocks. Looks to like a set. But will be sold individually. Truly beautiful pieces. Online bidding this Sunday. I also saw a CZ in 22lr. And a few other makers.

This is coming from a life time Weatherby fan, but DO NOT buy a used , old 1980's /1990 era Weatherby Semi Auto Mark XX11. They look incredible, the fit and finish is excellent, BUT you cant get it to shoot three or four rounds in a row without a stove pipe. Did the GUNSMITH circuit!! Even Back to Weatherby !!! Local Gunsmith changed three springs. Its 'BETTER ' but its not perfect. I can't tell you what to buy, I can suggest what NOT to buy. Id Like to find the newer BOLT ACTION Version. Good Luck Buddy !!!

Attachments

• IMG_2521 weatherby 22  with 12 X leupold  Oct 20  21.jpg
    IMG_2521 weatherby 22 with 12 X leupold Oct 20 21.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2526 Weaterby 22  with 12 X Leupold.jpg
    IMG_2526 Weaterby 22 with 12 X Leupold.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 19