Predictions for The next rifle caliber/ cartridge trend

I would love a true short action, Ackley, .338 based off the Lapua bolt face or bigger (Lazz 8.59 Galaxy parent?) designed to mag feed 300g pills.
I've thought the same thing. 338 Lapua parent case shortened even more than the 300 Norma. Shortened to say somewhere in the neighborhood of say 1.6"- 1.7" case length. Neck it for everything from .277 all the way to 338 to be a true short action & run long heavy projectiles.

For the many of you who are wanting something to go with a 277 cal, what kind of velocities would you like to see with the 165 ablr or 170 berger? Something new is already on it's way in a long action and magnum velocities with the 27 nosler so that slot is being filled and I don't see another magnum velocity or long action 277 cal filling a niche, as you are already going to have that soon.

Anyone notice the 475 Bishop short mag? Like a 284 win on steroids. Magnum case capacity, short action and .473 bolt face. Looks interesting to wildcat minus the cost of the brass

I am REALLY hoping a heavy-for-caliber .257" bullet race for sales will start.
Here's a .257" cartridge I drew-up over seven years ago. I have no idea as to what is the case capacity. I would change the shoulder angle to 23 degrees so as to use a neck-turning tool that is commercially available by PMA, I think it is...

Attachments

• 257 with no name.JPG
    257 with no name.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Precision Rifle Cartridge, designed by Hornady for the Precision Rifle Shooting challenge...
Anything based off of the 6.5 prc parent case will have to be a smaller caliber if it's going to be in a short action unless they shorten that particular case some to go bigger cal, which wouldn't be a bad idea. So 270 cal & up prc will probably be based off of the 300 prc, which would be fine also.

I was aware of the military opening up for bids in a 6.8/270cal. If memory serves me correctly, they supply what bullets they wanted to shoot to the three prospective contracts. Sig being one of those. I believe it was 140gr bullets, which supprised me why they went with that weight instead of heavier.
Boooo to the 6.8 spc! I have had one for years. It's an ok coyote rifle and will work good for 2 leg varmints. But the bullets lack sectional density for reliable penetration on game. Used to use it on wild hogs but it's not a reliable killer. I'm surprised they want a 140 gr bullet because of the small case capacity they won't be getting over 2200-2250 fps out of a carbine. It is definitely not a long range target/hunting cartridge. I like the idea of the 22 Creed or a new 25 Cal.

Boooo to the 6.8 spc! I have had one for years. It's an ok coyote rifle and will work good for 2 leg varmints. But the bullets lack sectional density for reliable penetration on game. Used to use it on wild hogs but it's not a reliable killer. I'm surprised they want a 140 gr bullet because of the small case capacity they won't be getting over 2200-2250 fps out of a carbine. It is definitely not a long range target/hunting cartridge. I like the idea of the 22 Creed or a new 25 Cal.
Yeah, I realize the point of the 270 fury is to get fairly high velocity from a short barrel. But I don't fully understand the 140 grain bullet usage.its going to run at really high pressure. Why wouldn't they have gone with a 140 6.5 or a 160-170gr 277? Im thinking that they could have got similar velocities out of a 270wsm with 140s in same length barrel & lower pressure with longer barrel life. I'm not bashing the 270 fury, I just don't fully understand the application, I'm sure there's something I'm missing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.