PR Bullet Locker Pin

Nomosendero

It appears my Encore wants to shoot but I definately have Hinge Pin play. I have thought about an oversized pin , but hate to go that route if I decide tpo sell the rifle. The locker pin looks like it could work but I want info from those who have tried it. Thanks
Encore pin movement

The hinge pin is crucial to accurate shooting with Encore platform rifles. My suggestion would be to buy the hinge package from Bellm, the 1x and 2x pins and determine which would be better. My Pro Hunter took a 2x right out of the box.

Home

Sir are you saying I can do this without altering the receiver in any way?

In most cases, yes. I've shot the Encore platform rifles since the came out and, I've modified every single one. Every rifle required a hinge pin replacement.

Most cases?........... I have not owned one or, know another shooter with one, that ever had to ream the frame. However it is known to have to been done with some rifles, which is why Mike and Kurt sell the reamer also. You could measure the hole in your frame, then the barrel to compare how close they are to each other. If there's a large separation, then I'd call Bellm.

I've seen Encores/Pro Hunters that the hinge was so lose, that the barrel wobbled and you could visually see it. That's a bad situation, known for years by T/C and now S&W. Why they refused to completely address the issue, I don't understand. But one thing that is fact, if that hinge is loose, it will affect accuracy, groups and especially long range shooting. Tighten it up and it can act like a completely different rifle. If you want the best that the rifle can provide, change to a tighter hinge pin. It should NEVER be able to be moved by hand/finger/thumb. NEVER. I'm not saying that it has to be installed with a maul but, it MUST be tight. I tap mine in with a nylon mallet and punch and always coat the pin with anti-seize. My barrels didn't drop open, nor did they have to be forced open. That hinge is the key.

If you order a hinge from Bellm, I would also suggest you order the HD locking bolt spring. You want that locking bolt to work flawlessly. I think another $6 or so. Great investment. If you want to go all out on your frame, change the hinge pin, lower the trigger pull, install the HD locking bolt spring, install the HD firing pin spring, change out the 30# hammer spring to either the 44# or 51# spring. Easiest muzzleloader and cheapest to modify to each individuals requirement. Bellm has it all, with instructions. Most knowledgeable Encore platform people in North America.

I tried the locker pin with no success. Called Kurt from Bellm and ordered the 1x and 2x. The 2x fit tight keep your old pin to knock your new pin one in and out. Bellm is the master of Encores and Contenders read what he has to say.

What's the general accuracy potential of the TC ENCORE ? Is a 408 CheyTac or any of the wildcats based on the 408 CheyTac TC ENCORE possible?

For CF barrels, that would require a call to Bellm. Myself, I only shoot muzzleloaders. Bellm does build custom caliber rifle barrels.

The muzzleloaders can be made to shoot better than most shooters.

What's the general accuracy potential of the TC ENCORE ? Is a 408 CheyTac or any of the wildcats based on the 408 CheyTac TC ENCORE possible?
The 408 case head is too big for the Encore design. The Bellm site explains that, I know most of the custom barrel makers quit making barrels for the short mags/RUMs for the same reason.

I tried the locker pin with no success. Called Kurt from Bellm and ordered the 1x and 2x. The 2x fit tight keep your old pin to knock your new pin one in and out. Bellm is the master of Encores and Contenders read what he has to say.

Good to hear from someone who tried the locker pin, I will heed that. Yes, his site has a lot of good info.

In most cases, yes. I've shot the Encore platform rifles since the came out and, I've modified every single one. Every rifle required a hinge pin replacement.

Most cases?........... I have not owned one or, know another shooter with one, that ever had to ream the frame. However it is known to have to been done with some rifles, which is why Mike and Kurt sell the reamer also. You could measure the hole in your frame, then the barrel to compare how close they are to each other. If there's a large separation, then I'd call Bellm.

I've seen Encores/Pro Hunters that the hinge was so lose, that the barrel wobbled and you could visually see it. That's a bad situation, known for years by T/C and now S&W. Why they refused to completely address the issue, I don't understand. But one thing that is fact, if that hinge is loose, it will affect accuracy, groups and especially long range shooting. Tighten it up and it can act like a completely different rifle. If you want the best that the rifle can provide, change to a tighter hinge pin. It should NEVER be able to be moved by hand/finger/thumb. NEVER. I'm not saying that it has to be installed with a maul but, it MUST be tight. I tap mine in with a nylon mallet and punch and always coat the pin with anti-seize. My barrels didn't drop open, nor did they have to be forced open. That hinge is the key.

If you order a hinge from Bellm, I would also suggest you order the HD locking bolt spring. You want that locking bolt to work flawlessly. I think another $6 or so. Great investment. If you want to go all out on your frame, change the hinge pin, lower the trigger pull, install the HD locking bolt spring, install the HD firing pin spring, change out the 30# hammer spring to either the 44# or 51# spring. Easiest muzzleloader and cheapest to modify to each individuals requirement. Bellm has it all, with instructions. Most knowledgeable Encore platform people in North America.

I believe I will do all the things you mentioned on the last paragraph. I like the feel of the Encore and want to give it a fair shake. Thanks a bunch for your input !

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.