Powder test with short barrel 30 Nosler

thaught

I recently built a new 30 Nosler, opting for a 22-inch barrel instead of the longer 26-28 inch barrels used in my previous builds. This rifle is equipped with a TBAC Magnus suppressor. While researching potential loads and powders, I initially assumed that a faster-burning powder would be more suitable given the shorter barrel length, as it would facilitate a complete powder burn and yield better velocity and standard deviation (SD) values. My bullet of choice was the Berger 215-grain, and I began my testing with H1000 powder. This initial load demonstrated decent accuracy and SD, with a velocity of 2,890 fps at 82 grains.

Next, I tested Retumbo, which provided significantly higher velocity, reaching 3,104 fps at the first signs of pressure, along with slightly improved SD values compared to H1000. I then tried 4831sc, which produced a velocity similar to H1000 but resulted in worse SD values. Finally, I opted for N570, the same powder I use in my other 30 Nosler rifles, and found an optimal load at 86.2 grains, achieving a velocity of 3,007 fps with an SD of 1.2 (2.8 fps extreme spread).

Contrary to my initial expectations, the shorter barrel performed better with slower-burning powders. Based on this experience, I conclude that for heavy bullets in any given caliber, slower powders yield better performance regardless of barrel length. Anyone else have similar or differing experiences?

Generally, the powder that produces the fastest velocity in a longer barrel will also do so in a shorter one. The advantage of a faster powder "MAY" be a more complete burn and as a result of this, less muzzle flash.

Contrary to my initial expectations, the shorter barrel performed better with slower-burning powders. Based on this experience, I conclude that for heavy bullets in any given caliber, slower powders yield better performance regardless of barrel length. Anyone else have similar or differing experiences?
I wouldn't really consider 22" a short barrel, but generally you do get fastest velocity with the same powders as a standard 26" barrel according to my testing.

I will add that the bigger magnums with barrels under 20" are a bitch to tune.
I got so tired of chasing wild SDs with a 19" 300 NMI that I went back to 25", now it's an effortless ES in the single digits.

I have a 16" 300 SAUM for hog hunting from a blind, suppressed. I went to the faster burning powders to get a more complete burn which should reduce pressure at the muzzle.

My thought was it would reduce the burden on the suppressor. Only a theory, and some estimates from Quickload.

My take on this is that the 30 Nosler is a true magnum cartridge and anything short of a 24" barrel is just a waste.

Something like a 300SAUM would easily work well in a 22" barrel and, in fact, I have one. It's the "standard barrel length" for many of the Remington Model Sevens in 300SAUM.

You'll get so much muzzle flash and such a seriously loud muzzle blast that your hearing protection will not be enough to prevent hearing loss.

Having said all that the suppressor will likely negate a lot of that flash and noise but still I think it's a waste to use less than at least a 24" barrel and a 26" barrel would be more ideal.

Recent Posts