Powder advise for a 280ai.

Since you have H4831 and R22 give them a short shakedown. Both are typically accurate in 280AI s …. The R22 will give more speed than H4831 but also has temp sensitivity.

That said depending on rifle useage that may not be a problem; only you can determine that.

Over the years I've shot pounds and pounds of R22 in my 300 WM and never a problem. Granted it was shot for some pre-hunt practice and hunting but harvested many animals without problem 1 ….

I have 3 x 280AI and have had really good luck using H4831sc and Imr 4831. This has worked well for my favorite 140g Fail Safe and the 160 Partitions. Please note here that I am a hunter, the only time I punch paper is right before I leave for the hunt. Guns are Zeroed at 200 yards.

Just from my experience with H4831sc and v-165 they both gave me the exact velocity and accuracy. The only difference I could tell was that my barrel didn't get as hot shooting the v-165. This was in a 270 win with 130,140 gr. bullets. I guess that's do to the slower burn rate of v-165. Anyway from my experience if it's cheaper v-165 would be a good one to consider. A lot of good powder choices. The Ramshot powder btw are very temp sensitive.

Looking for some powder to try in my 280ai. With Alliant not releasing powder to the public for awhile it takes all the reloader powder off the list.

The rifle is a nanook action with a 26inch proof 1: 8.4 twist.
I'm planning on testing berger 168 ,berger 175,hornady 175 eldx and giving the barns 145 lrx another try with different powder. Being in Arizona it needs to be temp stable powder so I don't get spikes.
I've tested the lrx with staball6.5 and couldn't get it to group . My 7-08 loves the stuff.
So I've got a few pounds of powders already.
Staball6.5 r22 (not temp stable)
4831sc r15 and r17
Retumbo
I know r23 is supposed to be magic but it's not available.
H1000 is a possibility maybe n560 or n565?
The 168s will be here in a day or so then I'll be ready to load another round of test ammo.
As for brass I'm running peterson and I've got 210 215 for primers.
For the 175-gr bullets, available powders that should work well would be Ramshot LRT & Grand and Accurate Magpro. LRT is a bit too slow to work well with 168-gr bullets, but Ramshot Magnum along with Grand and Magpro should work well w/the 168-grainers

Another vote for H4831 SC. Every projectile I've pushed with it has shot very well. For your copper CA load, I've got 131g Hammer Hunters going 3232 with 61g of H4831 SC, very consistent .25MOA.

H1000 does look like a good option. Interested to see the results you get with that!

Would love to try some RL23, as well, but haven't seen it in the couple years since I've had the 280AI.

I am not looking to highjack this thread, just looking for advice from 280 ai shooters.....

I have a 10 twist 280 improved that shoots a variety of 140 grain bullets just fine, but I would like to give 120 TTSX or BT's a try because I have a bunch of each. I plan on using them on deer or antelope only. Any powder suggestions would be appreciated as would any tested loads to help conserve on components.
3400+ at a middle of the road load in my 280AI 24" 8.4tw barrel. H100V got me there. I think around 59.8gr or something like that.

Another vote for H4831 SC. Every projectile I've pushed with it has shot very well. For your copper CA load, I've got 131g Hammer Hunters going 3232 with 61g of H4831 SC, very consistent .25MOA.

H1000 does look like a good option. Interested to see the results you get with that!

Would love to try some RL23, as well, but haven't seen it in the couple years since I've had the 280AI.
The r23 is supposed to be magic in the ackley . It's already hard to find and it's only going to get much worse. Alliant is not putting out powder for civilian use 😒 . It's going to drive up the cost of what's still available. Probably the single biggest reasons I'm kinda wanting to get away from the reloader line if I can .

The r23 is supposed to be magic in the ackley . It's already hard to find and it's only going to get much worse. Alliant is not putting out powder for civilian use 😒 . It's going to drive up the cost of what's still available. Probably the single biggest reasons I'm kinda wanting to get away from the reloader line if I can .
I've been on every 'notify me' I could find online to get some 23, and the couple times it's popped up in stock I was too slow to get any. It's no wonder they've cut off civilian sales with everything going on out in the world right now....

I don't think my day could get better !
Locating some h1000 earlier in the day and not getting any grief from the wife on the cost. I've probably spent 8 or 9 hundred in the last week on gun stuff. Then my wife texted me there are a few e-mails from the atf . All my suppressors cleared today .
Two go back to the middle of last year and the most recent was middle of last month. All 3 cleared on the same day.

I use R 26 as I have a bunch, it gives the best velocity and I dont hunt in 85deg + weather. H4831sc was about the same accuracy but 100 fps slower across 140-160 gr bullets. But it is very temp stable. For heavies I would try and find some H1000.