Portable shooting bench recommendations

TargetShooter2, I bought the same shooting table last winter on sale at Midway. Took it on its maiden hunt last month. One of my friends hunting from it extensively and liked it. He suggested one modicaton, drilling a couple holes in the vertical pipe so the seat can go lower. Going on another hunt in July and hoping to shoot from It myself. Thanks for the ideas for modification. If the shooting surface is too short, I'll do your modification.

Caldwell stable table BR works great! I have the Herters style also but it has a 4 point frame and is hard to get level where it won’t rock. The stable table is an adjustable 3 point frame that is ALWAYS stable. The table top is wider and longer also. The ability to spin 360 degrees allows you to spin quickly and quietly to get the dogs that pop up close behind you without having to stand and spook them. Only complaint is that it’s a little heavy. Set up is fast, 3 minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_3066.jpeg
    IMG_3066.jpeg
    351.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3067.jpeg
    IMG_3067.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 28
Very surprised to not see DOA mentioned yet. Years ago, I tried a couple of the Cabelas and similar retail models available and wasn't happy with them. I 'bit the bullet' and shelled out big bucks for what my understanding is the nicest portable bench available on the market. Made in Utah, very high quality, and extremely stable. It looks like the newest Caldwell model (BR pivot) has some striking similarities. No idea if there was and kind of deal between companies there.

I bought a demo model to save a few bucks, has worked great for me

Used these for years. Cheap, light, compact, more than solid enough and very comfortable. Standard White banquet table with folding legs. Find the tables easier to get up and down from, shooting angle is easier to adjust, amenable to left or right shooters and chair can move back and forth to accommodate shooter's size. I also like having a back on the chair for thoose long days in the gopher fields. The truck makes for great shade when it is hot out.

Cabelas still sells the Herters Bench they just list them under a bunch of different names. They are 200 Canadian.

View attachment 468666
I use the exact same thing along with a Redneck Blind Chair for long range depredation. It gives me a solid place to rest my right elbow. My only difference is I use a Caldwell Rock rest up front. I can lay out everything I need on the table. Rangefinder, Wind Meter, Binos, Ammo, refreshments, etc. I do angle the table longways to give me more room between rests. My table legs fold and the table itself folds into a 30"x30" square with a carry strap.

For shorter stuff I use a BogPod Deathgrip in either kneeling position or with my Blind Chair.

I've been very happy with the Legacy U shaped bench I bought a few years ago. Our local range is closed all winter with snow mobile access only. I put the Legacy bench in the back of the pickup and shot at the neighbors 100 yd range for load development work all winter. I found the set up to be every bit as stable as the fixed benches at the club range. I wouldn't want to lug the 40 lb bench around too far but for something like prairie dog hunts it would be great. It isn't a cheap set up but it a quality work with a well thought out design.

Love your front porch and your shooting table but the best part was seeing the scissor jack shooting pad you made was breath taking you think on the same level as me . Wish I had ran into you in my travels I think would have got alone very well as men and hunters. built a Corian top to cover the maple on the br pivot bench. Solid surface with drip edges, should protect the butcher block from any rain or snow that blows under the porch....
IMG_4966.jpg

IMG_4963.jpg

IMG_4965.jpg

IMG_4985.jpg

IMG_4984.jpg

IMG_4986.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Very surprised to not see DOA mentioned yet. Years ago, I tried a couple of the Cabelas and similar retail models available and wasn't happy with them. I 'bit the bullet' and shelled out big bucks for what my understanding is the nicest portable bench available on the market. Made in Utah, very high quality, and extremely stable. It looks like the newest Caldwell model (BR pivot) has some striking similarities. No idea if there was and kind of deal between companies there.

I bought a demo model to save a few bucks, has worked great for me

I bought one of the Demo DOA benches years ago and is my go to portable bench. Solid as a rock and sets up quickly

Have a Caldwell stable table BR. When I got it, did not like it as there was a lot of slop at the 2 pivots. By adding the 2 shims in the pivots, its now tight and wonderful.
4 ¼” X 10 ¾” X 0.032” shim, soft aluminum preferred 2 7/8” X 10 ¾” X 010” shim, soft aluminum
Top size and shape is a personal preference. 3/4" plywood is reasonable price and cut to your preference.

On my most recent prairie dog shoot, the guide had the Herters Deluxe shooting benches and they were very sturdy and provided a great shooting/seating platform. The problem is that I can't seem to source any new ones. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Also any recommendations on benches that are sturdy, collapsible, portable and solid platforms/seats are greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance
For decades we have shot grass rats (PDs) on private ranches in WY where we are permited to ride our quads to the best shooting. As such, I have settled on using a work bench made by Husky and purchased at my local Home Depot. Just checked and its only $99. I combine that with a BlackOut® Comfort Max 360 Mag Elite Blind Chair,$120, from Cabela's which gives me solid contact with the ground. It also has a sturdy back to lean on while glassing or letting the gunsmoke clear. Both strap down on the rear rack and travel nicely. I have hunted with friends using more elaborate systems which are hard transport and not nearly as versital or comfortable as my system.