Is your favorite rifle custom made or factory made ? I have a close tie

For me..hmm
Custom rifle= McWhorter 45XML just stupid accurate.
Factory = Weatherby Mark V KCR 6.5x300 weatherby. Incredible in every way.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240205_104110_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240205_104110_Gallery.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20240505_125020_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240505_125020_Gallery.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 11
My absolute favorite rifle ever is my grandads Remington 700 BDL in 270 Winchester. I’ve put 1400 rds through it in the 20 years I’ve had it. It’s still shooting good. It’s 1984 made and I bedded it, floating the barrel and shortened it enough to put a limbsaver pad on it. I’ve taken everything from red fox, yotes, hogs, mulies and whitetail with it. My next favorite is the first semi custom rifle I got to build. My boss at the time was a hobby rifle builder who taught me how to cut threads and cut chambers and crown barrels. It’s a M96 Carl Gustaf Mauser in a handmade walnut stock that we put a stainless Wilson 1-12” twist chambered in 308 Winchester. My son and I have shot a bunch of mulies and whitetail as well as hogs and yotes. It has a Bold trigger in it.

I build most of my own rifles but my fav "go to" is a 1962 Model 70 Featherweight in .30-06 I bought used when I was 19 years old. It's been to Africa a couple of times and has never failed to close the deal. It looks pretty stock but has been pillar bedded and the barrel floated and will consistently put 5 shots of my favorite handloads into 1 inch. It's a rifle my Son will someday get.
Namibia 032.jpg

Last edited:
If I am on a serious hunt where I might have a LR shot, I shoot custom. For everything else, factory works fine. I have shot most of my animals with a factory Rem 700 .338 WM with a tuperware stock that I bedded myself years ago. In second place is a Rem 7 in .308 Win - shot all but two of my whitetails with it, five black bears, and four red stag in Scotland.

When it comes to custom, the barrel makes all the difference in the world - biggest thing between it and factory IMO.

If I am on a serious hunt where I might have a LR shot, I shoot custom. For everything else, factory works fine. I have shot most of my animals with a factory Rem 700 .338 WM with a tuperware stock that I bedded myself years ago. In second place is a Rem 7 in .308 Win - shot all but two of my whitetails with it, five black bears, and four red stag in Scotland.

When it comes to custom, the barrel makes all the difference in the world - biggest thing between it and factory IMO.
You are right, the barrel does make a big diff but as important is who and how it was barreled. I've seen "gunsmiths" screw up good barrels. A poorly cut chamber in a good barrel still won't shoot.

Custom: GA Precision 7 SAUM (Defiance, Bartlein, Manners, Jewel). So easy to load for. So consistent. Certified long range killer
Factory: ruger M77 .270. It was my Dad’s. He gave it to me in 1984. It won’t win any competition matches, but has filled many truck beds with whitetails!

My favorite is a custom. 7 WSM, Defiance ANTix, AG stock, Proof barrel, 1-8 twist and throat just right for ELDm. 8.5 lbs. It is fun to shoot. Stacks shots on top of each other. Has great range. I love it because it works when I point it at things far away.

Favorite is a very subjective word.

My favorite rifle is a HK 300 22 magnum my parents bought for me. It was expensive for us at the time and my family is of a conservative German heritage and I know seemed extravagant--but they knew I loved firearms.

Next would be my 257 McMillian Talon. I remeber looking in guns digest at the annual and seeing all the rifles. McMillian Talons were simi-custom and rare for west Texas. I bought one of the first weatheby left hand accumarks in this part of the world 257--when Bible Hardware got in a LH talon in 257--I did everything it took to buy it. 28 years ago $1850 was a ton of money. Oh and I have not burned the barrel out yet.

I've got others that are near and dear but those are two.

Right now it’s my .243AI built by ER Shaw
Rem 700 with a 8” twist 21” spiral fluted bbl sitting in a Rhino camo McMillan stock.
Late last year I built a .308 in a Lone Peak with a Manners stock and a proof bbl 16.5” long.
I haven’t had as much trigger time behind it but so far I think it will eventually be my favorite.

I have two favorite hunting guns. A 7mm-08 and a 338Fed both on Remington 600 actions, Lilja barrels, McMillan stocks and Shilen triggers. The 338 gets the most use. Short, handy and lightweight. What is not to like?!

WBY mk 5 Deluxe with hand made and bedded cherry wood stock in 270wby magnum. If the bullet holes aren’t touching at 100 it’s because I didn’t do my part. It’s the most freakishly accurate pencil barrel rifle I’ve ever seen.