Votes: 18 16.8%
  • Full custom in 6mm CM

Votes: 26 24.3%
  • Other

Votes: 17 15.9%

• Total voters

FireFlyFishing

All,

I have a hankering for a 6mm caliber rifle as I have never had that niche filled in my fleet. I recently inherited a Ruger No.1 chambered in 6mm Rem from my late father. It was one of his favorite rifles out of many. I'm undecided whether to use this rifle or sell and get another, more modern 6mm. Of course, it has the older, slower twist of yesteryear.

I love Tikkas, so the off the shelf .243 is enticing as it would get me shooting somewhat in the cheaper price range. As would a 6mm ARC AR upper.

I really like the stats of the 6mm CM. It's flat out a laser…but, the .243 has similar ballistics with a fast twist.

The 6mm ARC doesn't get me that excited when paired next to the 6 CM.

Intended purpose: Hunting rifle, but plan to shoot steel for hunting proficiency.

I'm an avid hand loader, so handloads will be used regardless of what rifle is finally chosen. I'm NOT super excited about having to neck up/down brass or fire form AI brass. I'm looking for a cartridge that I can buy brass off the shelf.

I'd love to hear all your input. Thanks in advance!

I love my 6 mm arc AR for coyote hunting, but one of my favorite things about this little cartridge is its versatility. There are wide range of projectiles weights available to cover anything from varmints to deer. It is very accurate as well.

This is just me, but anymore, I do Custom, you get what you want like you want it. I would do it in a 6 Creed and I would not sell my late father rifle, that to me is an heirloom.
Thoughts on a custom? I'm thinking custom Tikka from a CTR action or….a Zermatt. Either would likely be a 20" proof carbon.
I love my 6 mm arc AR for coyote hunting, but one of my favorite things about this little cartridge is its versatility. There are wide range of projectiles weights available to cover anything from varmints to deer. It is very accurate as well.
AR or bolt?

I had several of the early #1's with the beautiful wood. The barrels on these rifles were junk, you could feel tight and loose spots in the barrel. I believe that the twist in your 6 Rem is a 10 twist. I killed a lot of really big deer with 95g Partitions with IMR 4831 and Rem 9 1/2 primers at some distance. I shot cow elk with the same load. The 6 Rem with modern powders dwarfs the 6 Creed, make no mistake about it.

A new SS barrel on your Ruger #1 would be awesome, you would always have the reminder of your dad, plus your dad would be proud of the fact that you "upgraded" his rifle as he would.

3 point bed the forearm on the #1, get an upgraded trigger or have it adjusted and you will have a shooting machine that is well worth the time and effort spent.

Thoughts on a custom? I'm thinking custom Tikka from a CTR action or….a Zermatt. Either would likely be a 20" proof carbon.

AR or bolt?
You didn't ask me but I will jump in lol. I have a 6 Creed I built for my daughter here are the specs
Defiance Anti
20 inch proof
Xlr magnesium chassis
Hunter mags
Zeiss V4
Scope on and all out fitted it's 8 pounds 10 ounces
It's everyone's favorite gun that I shoot with.

I had several of the early #1's with the beautiful wood. The barrels on these rifles were junk, you could feel tight and loose spots in the barrel. I believe that the twist in your 6 Rem is a 10 twist. I killed a lot of really big deer with 95g Partitions with IMR 4831 and Rem 9 1/2 primers at some distance. I shot cow elk with the same load. The 6 Rem with modern powders dwarfs the 6 Creed, make no mistake about it.

A new SS barrel on your Ruger #1 would be awesome, you would always have the reminder of your dad, plus your dad would be proud of the fact that you "upgraded" his rifle as he would.

3 point bed the forearm on the #1, get an upgraded trigger or have it adjusted and you will have a shooting machine that is well worth the time and effort spent.
This is an interesting idea. I agree the 6mm REM cartridge is fantastic. It would be interesting to throw some high BC Bergers in it with a modern propellant. I believe this rifle is very accurate as my dad had taken several antelope with it in the 400-600 yards range.

Unfortunately, I don't have a round count on said rifle. I suppose I'll keep shooting it until the barrel is toast and decide what to do from there.

You didn't ask me but I will jump in lol. I have a 6 Creed I built for my daughter here are the specs
Defiance Anti
20 inch proof
Xlr magnesium chassis
Hunter mags
Zeiss V4
Scope on and all out fitted it's 8 pounds 10 ounces
It's everyone's favorite gun that I shoot with.
Thanks! Custom rifle suggestions very welcome!