Pleasant surprises with my old .270 winnie

Is that using 270 win brass or something else?

I have lots and lots of good .270 brass....one of the reasons I stick with it.

280 AI is very impressive for the amount of powder it burns, I can't help but think a .270 with the shoulders blown forward and sharper would be equally efficient.
Sorry, late getting back to you.
Yes, 270 win brass will work.

You ought to be a salesman because you are making me want to get my 270 out and give your load a try
This reminds me, I have to throw this disclaimer out there for anybody reading this- don't start with my load, or even try it! It's probably way too hot for your gun/ brass/ throat combo, as it is way above max.

As with any reloading, work up slowly from recommended minimum while looking for pressure signs and don't take joe-schmo's word for load data as a load you can use in your own rifle as conditions that affect pressure vary greatly between components like brass, rifles, temperature, seating depth etc.

I've been thinking about why I can get this much powder in the case without over pressure and need to list it here for the new reloader just in case they think they can copy what I did without working up from proper starting loads. You can't.

It just so happens my rifle has a really long throat, and a really long mag box to let me seat the bullets as long as I wish, which I do (I'm only seating the bullet .250" deep, measuring from the boat tail junction) which gives me WAY more volume in the case, which lowers my pressure vs seating the bullet deeper. The other thing that helps, is my brass is thinner than most, and that gives me extra case volume as well. My long bullet-ogive-to rifling lands jump also helps keep pressures down vs seating at the lands or close to it.

All that allows me to add more of a slow burning powder which gives me more total gas volume and therefore more velocity while keeping the pressure reasonable.

This would be way, way over pressure at normal bullet seating depths, or with different brass, different chamber, or with less bullet jump.

Wish I had put this disclaimer at the beginning of my post, but now I can't edit it.

Last edited: