Planning a 7 mm build

Felton

I'm planning to build a light weight hunting rifle. I wanted to build a 7saum but when I looked into it, it didn't seem too different than building a 7ss or 7s max except the latter has better performance. My goal is to push 180 gr bullet 2900+ fps out of a 22" barrel. 7 prc isn't out of the equation but I'm kinda steering away from long action. I'm leaning towards 7s max.

I found a good deal on defiance renegade and classic actions.
The renegade med weights 27oz (I'd really like to use this action)
Classic long weights 24oz

Leaning toward a carbon 6 barrel bc carbons seems like that's what all the cool kids are doing. ha!

I haven't figured out what stock I want. Trying to find a good deal on a carbon stock as weight is a concern.

The wild card in all this is I have a win mod 70 crf 338 that I'd consider re barreling to a 7 prc or 7 max. Or sell to help fund the project.

What's your thoughts.

Last edited:
If you are going to do a "SAUM", why not do the improved version?👍
Your velocity goal will definitely be easier with the Max. And the medium length is plenty.
Bet you will be happy in the end.

If you are going to do a "SAUM", why not do the improved version?👍
Your velocity goal will definitely be easier with the Max. And the medium length is plenty.
Bet you will be happy in the end.
My thoughts exactly, not that it's a big deal but the long classic is lighter and would save me a couple hundred dollars. If I go long I'm inclined to build a prc…

My ADG cheat sheet

Attachments

• IMG_8646.jpeg
    IMG_8646.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 100
I am planning on a 7 Max as well. I looked around for a while and decided on that round in a medium length action will be the ticket for what I want to do, which is 160-180 grain bullets at 2800 out of a 20" barrel.

As for a stock, I am using more and more Stocky's stocks these days. The prices are right, the lead times are great, and rather than dropping inlets and features, they are listing to the shooters and adding stuff that we want.

I'm currently running a 22" 7RM. I get 2975 from 160 accubond using Retumbo. The rifle used to be a 7wsm with a 26" barrel. The wsm would shoot 180s at 3020 using vv560. The wsm has about 80 grains of water capacity. Pick something that is going to be big enough that you don't have to crush your brass. The 7 wsm 180 load torched the barrel in about 1300 rounds if that matters. That is one of the reasons in using Retumbo now, it shoots cooler.

I've been running a 7ss since 2017, 2995 with n565 and a 160AB. But that's at 26", about 100fps? off maximum.
The 7 mega parts pile is under construction, going to learn about it soon.😁

Last edited:
7 mega will be close. To what you wants I've built 2, 7 max's, mine ran a 190 stop at 2945 again 26 inch barrel. The next one ran 180 hybrid 2970 again 26 inch barrel. The third max was a good buddy of mine and he ran a 180 eldm at 2800 out of a 24 inch barrel. Now with that said my wife's 7 prc runs a 190 atip 24 inch barrel at 2925. 180 eldm was at 3030. Again 24 inch barrel. When I shot my max out I went to a 7 mega and I ran a 190 atip at 3110 fps in a 24 inch barrel. Now that's shot out and it's getting a 22 inch barrel back in the mega. Hope this helps

7 mega will be close. To what you wants I've built 2, 7 max's, mine ran a 190 stop at 2945 again 26 inch barrel. The next one ran 180 hybrid 2970 again 26 inch barrel. The third max was a good buddy of mine and he ran a 180 eldm at 2800 out of a 24 inch barrel. Now with that said my wife's 7 prc runs a 190 atip 24 inch barrel at 2925. 180 eldm was at 3030. Again 24 inch barrel. When I shot my max out I went to a 7 mega and I ran a 190 atip at 3110 fps in a 24 inch barrel. Now that's shot out and it's getting a 22 inch barrel back in the mega. Hope this helps
Very helpful, I either need to adjust my expectations or go with another round. Thank you.

I am planning on a 7 Max as well. I looked around for a while and decided on that round in a medium length action will be the ticket for what I want to do, which is 160-180 grain bullets at 2800 out of a 20" barrel.

As for a stock, I am using more and more Stocky's stocks these days. The prices are right, the lead times are great, and rather than dropping inlets and features, they are listing to the shooters and adding stuff that we want.
Does stockys do medium actions? When I looked I didn't see anything listed online.

Last edited: