Pistol accuracy affected???

Rear grips have some advantage when shooting from the bench to be sure.
I shot my Gre-'Tan 6.5 Creedmoor today, after 10 individual shot break-in, per his procedure, and 1 fouling shot after cleaning the barrel. First 3-shot group measured .208" CTC. These were into the lands, going to back off ~ .010" for 3 more tomorrow. Powder charge looks about right.
Defiant action
Kreiger 5R 1x8 twist barrel, Sendero contour, finished @ 22 "
Greg's AI type bottom metal
Mcmillan HTG stock
Trigger Tech Diamond trigger
Lapua brass, CCI 450 primer, Lapua 136L Scenar, 41.5 gr H4350

Attachments

• First Creedmoor target.jpg
    First Creedmoor target.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 37
  • Gretan Creeedmoor 1.jpg
    Gretan Creeedmoor 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • Gretan Creedmoor 2.jpg
    Gretan Creedmoor 2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Is Gregg still building guns? I thought he had retired.
Great shooting and a beautiful XP-100!
I would say, get a muzzle brake and life will be much simpler.
Before you you do that, there would be nothing wrong with putting your hand on the scope.
By doing so, you will determine if you can keep your accuracy or not.
E
Since Greg is no longer building guns, I talked to Gary Church W/ Emma Creek Gunworks this morning, sending the barreled action to him for installation of his muzzle brake. He said I'd have it back w/in a couple of weeks. that should make it easier and more comfortable to shoot w/ scope @ 25X.

I might have missed it, but what length barrel are you using?
Since this is a 40X rifle action, I had to finish @ 16", for legal overall length. My next 6BR build on a single shot Defiant action, which was designated as a pistol action on the FFL form, can be finished @ 14", and be legal.

I shot my Gre-'Tan 6.5 Creedmoor today, after 10 individual shot break-in, per his procedure, and 1 fouling shot after cleaning the barrel. First 3-shot group measured .208" CTC. These were into the lands, going to back off ~ .010" for 3 more tomorrow. Powder charge looks about right.
Defiant action
Kreiger 5R 1x8 twist barrel, Sendero contour, finished @ 22 "
Greg's AI type bottom metal
Mcmillan HTG stock
Trigger Tech Diamond trigger
Lapua brass, CCI 450 primer, Lapua 136L Scenar, 41.5 gr H4350
Final 6.5 Creedmoor zero @ 100 yds. I shot many combos of H4350 w/ 136L scenar and 140 gr Berger Hybrid target bullets. I had only one frame left. I had already shot 2 w/ 140 gr Bergers. I, then loaded 3 rds w/ my 136L scenars, for shots 3,4 on the last target on the right. I then adjusted scope down 1 click, left 1 click for final zero @ 100 yds, on the target to the left. Stick a fork in me, I'm done! This rifle shoots into 0's and low1's w/ this load, every time I shoot it. I only use 2 shot groups for working out loads, since your group will never be smaller than the second shot. I look for repeatability w/ several 2-shot groups. A man toting one group in his wallet means nothing to me. Show me what it does the next time and afterwards.
Lapua brass
CCI 450 primer
42.1 gr H4350
Lapua 136L Scenar bullet
OTB length, using a Sinclair bullet comparator, 3.087"

Attachments

• final Creedmoor zero.jpg
    final Creedmoor zero.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Since this is a 40X rifle action, I had to finish @ 16", for legal overall length. My next 6BR build on a single shot Defiant action, which was designated as a pistol action on the FFL form, can be finished @ 14", and be legal.
Not that it's likely to matter, but a virgin action shouldn't be listed as a pistol when it's transferred on a 4473 because it's not a pistol. It should be listed as a receiver, which can be built into a pistol or any other type of firearm.

Not that it's likely to matter, but a virgin action shouldn't be listed as a pistol when it's transferred on a 4473 because it's not a pistol. It should be listed as a receiver, which can be built into a pistol or any other type of firearm.
I'm almost 76 yrs old and doubt that I'd ever build anything else from this. I wanted the option to have any barrel length.

I'm almost 76 yrs old and doubt that I'd ever build anything else from this. I wanted the option to have any barrel length.
Had it been transferred as a receiver you still could use any length of barrel to on it. A receiver is not a rifle, so making a pistol from a receiver doesn't leave you with an SBR. Unless it was already built into a pistol when it was transferred to you it should not have been listed as a pistol on the 4473 because it was not a pistol. The type of firearm listed on the 4473 doesn't change the classification of the firearm. You still have a receiver, not a pistol, until you build it into a pistol.

Like I said, it shouldn't matter. It's more likely to be an issue for the FFL than you, but if it's ever an issue for either party they probably have much bigger problems. I just wanted to point it out as many people erroneously believe a receiver has to be listed as a pistol on a 4473 to make it into a pistol. A firearm should be listed as the correct type for its configuration at the time it's transferred, not the configuration it's going to become. Rifles are a partial exception due to the definition of SBR.

Last edited: