Pistol?

beezaur

Hi Guys,

I am thinking about a long range pistol for coyotes.

I have seen some pretty neat looking bolt action jobs with heavy barrels, maybe 16 inches(?), and a bipod. I know essentially nothing about it, but thought it might be fun to set up a pistol for shots over 500 yards.

How would you set up a pistol for 'yotes? Caliber? Action? Stock? Scope?

Scott

as for pistol I have no clue. Maybe an encore with a custom barrel. I would also look at a 243 for a caliber along with a 260. I hope others will give you more info

I have a T/C Contender in 7x30 Waters and just got a SSK barrel chambered in 6.5JDJ which is a 225 Win case necked up to .264" and a 40 deg shoulder. It shoots a 120 gr BT at 2400 fps and is a 300 yd deer gun. I got it sighted in at 100 yds last weekend and will get serious with it this spring.

Regards,

JD338

Pistol? You Betcha!

Coyotes to 500 yards with specialty handguns is not to much of a problem as far as hitting them. The key of course is getting the bullet to perform the way you want at varying distances.
I would opt for a bolt pistol before a break-open but that is preference on my part.
You are going to shoot approximately 200-300 fps slower in a specialty handgun than you do in a rifle.
If you want 243 Win performance consider a 6-284.
If you want 6.5-284 performance go with a 6.5WSM.
My hunting buddy Steve Hugel (sscoyote) longest shot on a yote was just over 900 yards. He has made a # of other kills in the 350-600 yard range with pistols.
In SP's he has a 17 Mach IV, 20BR, (soon to be)6.5WSM, and 7mmx270WSM. These are not just for coyote but PD's and big game.
My rigs are: 22-250AI, 260 Rem, 250 Sav.AI.
My main LR rigs are: 6mm-284, several 6.5-284's, and a soon to arrive a 7T Lilja 7mm Dakota.
The 6-284, two of the 6.5-284's and the Dakota are XP-100's (1 rear-grip 6.5-284 and all the rest are center-grip).

Re: Pistol? You Betcha!

Scopes: 3-12 Burris LER's with Ballistic PLex Reticle and the same LR rifle scopes, just on a handgun.

Hello,

I built a long range pistol. I used a Rem SA. It is a forward grip design and has a Dell Taylor trigger (highly reccomended). I milled the stock out of aluminum and it may be used with a bipod although I currently havn't yet. Most people would use a handgun scope or at least some sort of extended eye relief scope but I put an IOR 4-14 tactical on it because I cannot stand handgun scopes and I really like that IOR scope. Cartrige is a 338-300WSM utilizing the 300gr SMK out of a 9"twist 15.5inch mike rock barrel.

If you don't get many more replies do a search and you should find some other info that members have posted.

Is it awkward to shoot an XP-100 etc. with a rifle scope?

Those are pretty big cartridges you guys are talking about. I was sort of expecting 6mm BR or something in that size range. How is muzzle blast and recoil?

Scott

beezaur, In my earlier competition days, I shot thousands of rounds thru pistols. I would recommend a mid grip XP set up with a decent trigger. I like the balance much better than a rear grip stock. Also, it is shootable in an off hand position if the need arises. Caliber is open. I've shot a bunch of 7mm IHMSA which is a 300 Savage slightly shortened. Very efficient in a 15" barrel. You can push a 100 gr varmint bullet in excess of 2,800 fps. I've shot coyotes up to 400 yds with this load. I would recommend at least a IER scope, but I use a LER scope. I like the Burris scopes with the ballistic plex reticle and high power. A bipod could help, but with a little practice the "creedmore" position (laying on your back with the pistol against your leg and your head held up by your offside arm). You need to go to a LR silhouette match to see the position used correctly. It works great in the field if the cover is not too high. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

In rifle scopes I use th BUrris 6-24 Black Diamond w/Ballistic Mil-Dot (love that scope on my 6-284 XP).
I also use a Leupold mark 4 8.5-25 w/TMR and a 1inch 6.5-20 Leupold.
I don't get a full field of view when I shoot.
If you do get a full field of view, you will get smacked when you pull the trigger, especially with the bigger cartridges.

Muzzle blast and recoil is pretty substantial with my 338-300WSM but even with the rifle scope I have yet to get hit by the scope even while shooting through a full circle. I will admit, it was scary to get that close to the scope for the first time. Depeding upon how your gun is set up and which position you are shooting from you may or may not be able to get a full circle with a rifle scope.

For shooting yotes as you mentioned the 6br would be a fine cartrige and recoil would be very moderate. Something like the 25WSSM may be a good option also.

PDR_0712.jpg

You can hit a 1/2 man-sized silhouette with this pretty regularly. Home-made AR15 pistol w/red-dot sight. In .223

So, you can use a rifle action to build a pistol?

What are the rules regarding weight, length, etc., before you start getting into Class III weapons?

Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.