Pistol accuracy affected???

nthrut

I have a bolt action pistol in 6.5x47 Lapua, using a March 2.5-25x42 scope, i.e., not much eye relief. Would accuracy be affected by my placing my hand on the top of the scope, while shooting, to help hold down the pistol, during recoil? BTW, I'm removing the bipod. So far, my smallest 3 shot group w/ this rig is .054" CTC. If not, process would be more comfortable.
Thanks,
Bob

Attachments

• 6.5x47 Lapua oistol 3 shot test groups.jpg
    6.5x47 Lapua oistol 3 shot test groups.jpg
    969.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Gretan Scoped pistol 1.JPG
    Gretan Scoped pistol 1.JPG
    402.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Gretan scoped pistol 2.JPG
    Gretan scoped pistol 2.JPG
    330.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Is Gregg still building guns? I thought he had retired.
Great shooting and a beautiful XP-100!
I would say, get a muzzle brake and life will be much simpler.
Before you you do that, there would be nothing wrong with putting your hand on the scope.
By doing so, you will determine if you can keep your accuracy or not.
E

Is Gregg still building guns? I thought he had retired.
Great shooting and a beautiful XP-100!
I would say, get a muzzle brake and life will be much simpler.
Before you you do that, there would be nothing wrong with putting your hand on the scope.
By doing so, you will determine if you can keep your accuracy or not.
E
Actually no, but he has built about a dozen for me. He's no longer taking orders for gun builds, but is busier than ever making parts, tool, etc. for other members of the industry. He just finished this one and a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle for me. I will miss his expertise, no question, considered to be one of the best by his peers and major custom barrel makers. I used one of his .308,s to shoot a sub 1" 3-shot group @ 600yds. @ Blackwater Training Center, back in 2002.
Thanks for the advice. I didn't think it would, and I despise muzzle breaks on anything smaller than a .338 Lapua. I'm 75 yrs old and don't like a lot of "botheration", any more. BTW, you sound like someone w/ whom I need to keep in touch........

Bob

Tell him "Hi!" for me the next time you talk to him.
He is definitely one of the good guys!
Will do, I'm planning on making a trip out that way, and stop in to see him. He has insisted I spend the night, if I do. I've dealt w/ him for over 20 years. A first class act!

I have spent the night at his place as well, back in the day when he lived just outside of Greeley.
If you ever want to come and play...

I have a bolt action pistol in 6.5x47 Lapua, using a March 2.5-25x42 scope, i.e., not n much eye relief. Would accuracy be affected by my placing my hand on the top of the scope, while shooting, to help hold down the pistol, during recoil? BTW, I'm removing the bipod. So far, my smallest 3 shot group w/ this rig is .054" CTC. If not, process would be more comfortable.
Thanks,
Bob
Nice pistol!
Get a BRAKE and don't hold it down with your hand.
Great Avatar!

I have spent the night at his place as well, back in the day when he lived just outside of Greeley.
If you ever want to come and play...
I remenber when he called to discuss owning, instead of renting, his own place in Rifle, Co. I may take you up on that, one day. I've always wanted to prairie dog hunt.

I have a bolt action pistol in 6.5x47 Lapua, using a March 2.5-25x42 scope, i.e., not much eye relief. Would accuracy be affected by my placing my hand on the top of the scope, while shooting, to help hold down the pistol, during recoil? BTW, I'm removing the bipod. So far, my smallest 3 shot group w/ this rig is .054" CTC. If not, process would be more comfortable.
Thanks,
Bob
Follow up to this post. I kept bipod attached, and verified my previous load for a 2 group .119" aggregate.

Gre-'Tan built 6.5x47 Lapua pistol
Remington 40X action, trigger, bolt release mfg 1974 (old Mike Walker action) pillar bedded
Trigger set @ 16 oz.
Kreiger 5R 1x8 twist SS barrel finished @ 16".
Seekins lapped rings
Emma Creek custom stock
March 2.5-s5x42 2nd focal plane 1/4 moa adjustments scope
I put my hand on the scope in windy conditions, otherwise no. I've not noticed any change in where the bullets hit. Have done that a lot last 2 weeks in WV on groundhogs in very windy days.. 0 misses.
I did likewise yesterday, and no change in accuracy. Thanks.

Attachments

• Lapua 3 shot repeatability.jpg
    Lapua 3 shot repeatability.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
Will you be able to shoot that way while hunting? I'm assuming that's the reason you have that pistol. Learn to shoot off a V rest and with both hands on the grip. As stated above, if recoil is to bad get a break. I'm shooting a .44 mag revolver the same way. Long eye relief scope will help.
I don't think you are going to be seeing @nthrut using a pistol scope at any time with his rear-grip specialty pistol.
There are a number of reasons why you would have specialty pistol built like this, and not use it for big game hunting.

Will you be able to shoot that way while hunting? I'm assuming that's the reason you have that pistol. Learn to shoot off a V rest and with both hands on the grip. As stated above, if recoil is to bad get a break. I'm shooting a .44 mag revolver the same way. Long eye relief scope will help.
Any shooting for this pistol will be done on a a table, bench, or truck hood. I have a 100 yd range @ home and belong to a club w/ a 600 yd range. My next endeavor will be to hit a chicken egg @ 600 yds. Can't stand breaks. Kenny Jarrett put one one a 7STW when I was w/ him in 1983. I only had one other on a 338 Lapua, by Gre-'Tan, that I sold. I don't like them. I have several long eyerelief scopes on revolvers and 2 Anschutz Exemplar pistols in 22LR and 17HMr. For long range shooting, hunting, etc. nothing compares to a rifle scope w/ more magnification. I even had a couple of Burris 3-12IE pistol scopes; got rid of them and went to rifle scopes.