Pheasant load of choice?

UplandFreak

Just curious what everybody is running? I have bounced around a little bit - really like the kent fastlead and I usually roll with 4 shot, especially after the first couple weeks of the season. I also found some Fiocchi stuff I really like.

I also like the golden pheasant. I found some fiocchi 34 or something like that at on sale at cal ranch a few years ago and really liked it. Havent been able to find any more of that stuff - it was only 1 1/5 ounce, but patterned well in my gun and killed a lot of birds.

Golden Pheasant? I shot Fiocchi shells for years and I like them.
4's are good might tighten your choke later in the season.
This is the fiocchi I was using:
7CD59C63-4470-450B-97B3-1D594363C1E5.jpeg

A couple years ago I picked up a carlson Improved Modified choke for my Versamax for late season - it has been a pretty good combo with 4 shot. I hunt over a pointer, so I still have to let them get out a little ways when I shoot them off a point.

I use a Win AA hull, Rem SP wad, 1 1/4 oz of #6 or #5 shot with a #32 powder bushing (about 32.2 grains I think) of Longshot and a Win primer I believe. I load the RED AA hulls with 6s and the GRAY ones with 5s to make things easy to identify. With a modified choke this is a great load for me. 13 roosters this season so far. This year I swithched to loading 3 #5s in the tube and then a #6 and a #6 in the chamber, those 6s really work well for me, more birds are dead, fewer runner than when I used all #5s with improved cylinder. I have noticed, as I read here in a different post, that the #5s (and larger) will mostly pass through the birds, where #6s stay in the bird...I find this very true. I have pulled out more shot from birds this year that the entire season last year using #5s only, after 2 weekends. Come on, no one else rolling their own???

I used to load shotshells back when I was shooting competitively, but there's no money in reloading target loads anymore with the crazy price of lead. For upland hunting, it's just about the number of rounds fired that doesn't make it worth the time/effort. I still have all the equipment to load shotshells, but haven't for years. I do load for about 20+ rifle/pistol calibers and really enjoy it.

Just curious what everybody is running? I have bounced around a little bit - really like the kent fastlead and I usually roll with 4 shot, especially after the first couple weeks of the season. I also found some Fiocchi stuff I really like.
My family runs guided pheasant hunts we suggest to everyone to run 6 shot and we've never had issues bringing down birds but I will say your choke choice is probably just as important as your shot choice.