Finally, Pheasant!

Guy M

I've had a busy big game season with bear, mule deer & antelope hunting, but FINALLY got out with the dog for some pheasant hunting here in Central Washington. It was a cool, clear day, after a rain. Ground was muddy. Pheasants held pretty tight, except one rooster who flushed about 100 yards from me, before the dog had even figured out where the bird was located. We followed that rooster and took him on the next flush!

As always, I'm lavish in my praise of the dog, and he gets a snack too, for his efforts. Clark is an eight year old German Wirehaired Pointer, and this is our third season hunting together. He's made me a better hunter and has taught me about chukar & pheasant!

Where I hunt, non-toxic shot is mandatory, even on upland game. I was low on steel shells, and was only able to get some 12 ga 3" mag #4 steel loads by Kent. Hadn't ever used them before, but figured they might work well on longer shots.

Oh my goodness did they work! I will be looking for a case of this stuff! Roosters dropped at the shot, bird after bird, and meat wasn't badly torn up either. The Beretta 390 semi-auto soaked up most of the recoil, and all in all, I'm super pleased with this stuff. Normally I wouldn't have hunted pheasant with such a stout load, but after seeing how it swatted those birds down... Ya, two thumbs up!

Regards, Guy

The dog and I had a great day last season:
ubm1FDjl.jpg

Will likely get out for pheasant again here soon. So far only quail this season.

Regards, Guy

Great pics Guy! Only about 6 months until our Iowa opener. I spent most of this past Saturday planting 10 spruce trees and 50 shrubs to improve our habitat.. Much of the cost of the trees were a "cost-share" from our local Pheasants Forever chapter, a great organization. Keep posting those pics!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts