Love pheasant season!

PredatorSlayer

Man I love pheasant hunting! Helps that I have an awesome dog:). I don't think I am going to make it out again this year. Already excited for next season! How did everybody else do?

0F303DCA-AA4D-4457-A037-87A7F5554170.jpeg
05D128B9-61A9-49A8-8B03-4E8888150E2E.jpeg
00564E8D-42BE-4AB3-A47E-03A3249F37E8.jpeg

0CBA5797-6F40-4EDB-9900-967F9E54353B.jpeg

FA5E3627-B8A9-478B-9985-1360569D8F06.jpeg

This will be my best season. At 39 roosters so far. Was up to my possession limit but got it down to one in the freezer before this past weekend. It seems they are getting a little spooky already. Only have Saturday this coming weekend and Christmas weekend I will likey be deer hunting, so my remaining outings are limited. What's up with the pic with about 40 roosters? Game farm? Cleared them out!!! Looks like you will be eating pheasant twice a week until next years opener! Good shooting!

This will be my best season. At 39 roosters so far. Was up to my possession limit but got it down to one in the freezer before this past weekend. It seems they are getting a little spooky already. Only have Saturday this coming weekend and Christmas weekend I will likey be deer hunting, so my remaining outings are limited. What's up with the pic with about 40 roosters? Game farm? Cleared them out!!! Looks like you will be eating pheasant twice a week until next years opener! Good shooting!

All wild birds:). It was several days of four of us hunting.

What state were you in? They have some agressive possession limits there. Any other upland birds or just pheasant? Is that a GSP, body looks like it, but unusual color unless it is just the lighting.

Dog and I are getting it done again this fall. Love my drahthaar.

Got another joining my team in January. Can't wait.
Any problems with burrs in the draht? I think thats the direction I am going to go next time. Mostly because this GSP has been so awesome, another GSP will have a tough time filling his shoes. My buddies wirehair gets burrs stuck in it all the time - kind of annoying.

You know mine is on the furrier side, but other than around his ears and beard, he is pretty burr free. I will say that he can be packing a number of goat heads in his feet and you almost have to stop him to get them pulled out. So to answer your question, I have very little issue with burrs. Have a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon nicknamed Burd Dog though.

Not sure what state you are in, but the Great Plains Chapter I belong to is full of avid hunters and Drahthaar lovers. The training days are invaluable for puppies and free to anyone who wants to jump in. You do pay for training birds but not having to source them is really nice.

Huge fan of drahthaars and have been around probably 40-50 now. I have Bane very socialized and we take him into towns and outdoor malls with no issues around people or other dogs. But we work with him a lot.

We are hitting a couple spots I haven't been in yet this year this morning. Only 3 weekends remain in season and depending how my deer hunting goes, I might only be able to hunt 2 of them...winding down this season:(. After that, a long wait until our June SD prairie dawg shoot. I need to take more pics, thanks for sharing your pics fellas.

My buddy and I got our 6, done around 10:20 or so. I had 2 in about the first 5 minites but we had to work a little harder after that. I helped my hunting partner with 1 toward his limit. My GSP worked well, made a recovery on a runner in thick CRP about 60 yards from where the bird fell. I haven't been on any public ground yet, likley won't be. Yes, pheasant season is easily my favorite also and it is not over yet!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.