Payback's a b**** (pictures)

I lied, I talked to the taxidermist and he said there was an exit right behind the shoulder. I looked all over and never saw anything. Hit her in the front of the right shoulder quartering towards and she dropped immediately. Not at all saying bad about bergers, Ive seen plenty of damage on other kills. Glad this one decided to go right through.View attachment 81999 View attachment 82000
Excellent work, congrats.

Man, that's awesome. Wish we had them in NY haha. Pardon my ignorance here, but are wolves a big problem? I thought they were fairly rare. They seem pretty amazing to me.

Coyotes are a big problem where I live in NY
They are spreading like EHD and more devastating on populations in the long run. There is no genetic resistance to wolves.

My post was a bit tongue in cheek. But there is an element of truth in every good joke.

Never been to NY. Probably won't.

Steve
We spent 150 years trying to exterminate the most damaging predator to ever attack wild game or domestic animal populations and the idiots think we'll somehow be better off returning to the past. Stupidity is as genetic as depredation. The majority of the population moving to cities, separating themselves from nature or how their food, fiber, and fuel is the precipitating agent that leads to genetic stupidity.

@ Whiskey, In the mid 1990's, Idaho HAD about, 195,000 Elk in the State !
The "doo Gooder's" planted 20-30 Wolves from CANADA, (in 1996 or, so IIRC) not our regular, Timber Wolves that, Montana, Idaho and Wyo,.. ALREADY, HAD ! But the Tundra Wolves that keep the Caribou herds, in "check" in Canada ! The Fed's, did NOT allow, Hunting Wolves for a Decade ! So NOW we have, 3,000 PLUS wolves in Idaho alone and they are, EATING,.. "OUR", Elk, Deer and Moose !!! What,.. a MESS ! This is just a PLOY to get legal Hunting, stopped ! as, WHY, bother going hunting, there's NOTHING to Hunt, anymore ! And they, wonder WHY people, DON'T "trust",.. the Government !
Come to Idaho and Hunt Wolves we have,.. Plenty !
Start hunting wolves.

Usually conspiracy theorists argue that instead of the Idaho plains wolf they got Canadian timber wolves. Not Idaho timber and Canada tundra.

There will always be people that can't stand the idea of any predators anywhere near "their" herd of whatever. I don't think that's how it should be personally. To me, the biggest issue was the unchecked population caused by the stretch of lawsuits during the delisting process.

Unfortunately in the lower 48 we have essentially put our mark on all the land there is, and we now have to manage everything because of it. that means we need to manage the prey and the predators.

I think some hunters and ranchers have a hard time realizing predators can be a good thing and just want the highest prey populations they can get. While on the other end the animal rights crowd doesn't understand what exploding unmanaged predator populations can do.

Episode 74 on Meateater podcast is worth a listen if you're interested in wolf issues.
Wolves do absolutely noting to benefit the game populations.

The sick and weak are removed easily by coyotes and cats.

Wolves will destroy a prey population in one are and then move on to the next and without intensive managed hunting reproduce so fast they quickly get out of control.

Back when I was a kid in Iowa there was no such thing as a coyote in these parts. Along about 1970 we started seeing them more often when pheasant hunting. By 1980 their numbers had exploded. In 1982 we killed 138 coyotes and never got more than 10 miles from Grinnell, Iowa. Now for the most part the only time that you can call a coyote is in the fall before all the idiots with calls and not a lick of knowhow have them all educated. If you go sit in a brush pile all camoed up in the middle of January and see a coyote a 1/4 to 1/2 mile away then you best have played the wind right and planted yourself in his travel corridor. If you use any kind of call that late in the season the coyote will shift gears in the opposite direction. They are so call shy that it's counterproductive to even try.

There is no such thing as a farm cat anymore as the coyotes consider them a main staple. By February the coyotes are coming into town at night to eat pets and garbage. If a coyote will do that when hungry then I would imagine that a wolf would too.

When did our government ever regulate anything correctly....never!
My dad tried keeping cats to keep the rattle snakes at bay around the house/out buildings.

The coyotes are so efficient at killing them that he often would go through 25-50 a year.

Eventually they got so brave we'd leave a light on by the porch and set up a few hundred yards away and pick them off when they came into the yard to catch a cat.

We killed upwards of 50 a year on that place and still could not even reasonably control the population. Apparently every coyote for miles came for kitty buffet at his place.

I asked this question on another thread and it probably would have been more suitable to this thread. This line of questioning has probably been hammered to death but it's new to me and I am rather new to this forum so thought I'd ask.
I have a new Winchester model 70 Coyote Light in 243. I bought it for shooting coyotes. It will not shoot 58 grain VMaxes to my liking so I tried some 100 grain boat tail soft points. It will do a three shot group the size of a silver dollar on X18 magnification at 300 yards with this load when it's dead calm and I'm having a good day. My question is...is this a suitable wolf round? I have a 7mm-08 that shoots real well with 139 grainers that is another option. I have wanted a 7mm Mag ever since I watched a guy in our group roll a sleeping coyote off of a snow drift at the half mile fence with his! I told my wife that a wolf hunt was in my future and she said go for it. That's kinda like giving me permission to buy a new gun if I twist it around just a little!
I know where there is a brand new Weatherby Vanguard in 257 Weatherby mag for $400. The only thing there is that the ballistic coefficient of .257 bullets is not impressive. What are your thoughts?
If you want the hides or to mount them you need a bullet with minimal expansion.

In the 70's and 80's when were were seriously hunting for hides we generally shot FMJ's for minimum hide damage. If the hole was much over 30 caliber they started deducting pretty fast. If you got to golfball size they'd cut it by half or reject the hide completely if it couldn't easily be sewn.

The other thing we used was a .17 Remington loaded with the original Barnes Ex. We were loading them as fast as we could run them and maintain accuracy and anything else had a tenancy to vaporize within a hundred yards.

In that era when money was awfully hard to come by as much as 150-200.00 for a top grade coyote or 350-500 for a top end bobcat hide vs a reject or half, that made a huge, huge difference.

Your other best option is highly frangible bullets that break up completely and will not exit at all. Something along the lines of the cheap NBT or Hornady Amax or their cheap zombie killing ammo are all good examples. Target/Match Jhp's are a good option as well particularly in something like a .220 swift of .204 Varmint bombs.

Thankfully we don't have wolves in VA but we sure have coyotes. No matter what I'm hunting if I see a coyote I'm gonna do my best to kill the stupid varmint!!!

If you are interested in hunting wolves in Idaho, check out https://www.foundationforwildlifemanagement.org/. Any and all help will be appreciated.

We (F4WM) have been in existence for six years. Our purpose is to raise money to reimburse hunters and trappers for their expenses for legally killed wolves in Idaho. Amounts vary from $250 to $1,000 per wolf depending on the time of year and area taken. The IDF&G has learned we are much more effective at controlling wolves than the guys in helicopters, so have given us five figure grants. The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation has also given us five figure grants. These grants are in addition to the six figure funds we've raised at our annual banquets held in Sandpoint, Idaho in February each year.

Consideration is underway to increase reimbursements in some areas to encourage hunters and trappers to focus on areas where deer and elk are in particular peril.

Our Executive Director, Justin Webb, is a professional big game hunting guide. He's in the mountains and out of communication at the moment, but will be back briefly beginning on 9/25. He'll be able to provide details. Or, if you have questions, I'll do my best to provide answers here.
I would like to hear from a hunter that has been reimbursed by this organization for their expenses.

There are numerous trappers and several hunters who have been reimbursed. Their comments and photos are on the members section of the website.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts