Opinions on current rule for Classified posting

An increasing reality that you may not be aware of. I have been developing ecommerce and forum websites for major corporations for over 20 years. I can create an automated process using ChatGPT AI to circumvent EVERY suggested new requirement listed so far to guard against crooks/scammers in about 10 minutes. This includes automatically creating and posting accurate images for each post. Every bit of my new "forum post" whether buying or selling will appear perfect. I can have AI create and automatically add new posts under almost any forum category. I can promise that 99.99% of us wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Why do I know this is true? I am one of the "good guys" too. My special area of focus is digital security. I consult with DOD and Fortune 500 companies. You would be shocked viewing what we see every single day. It's becoming more and more insane every day. Ever get a robocall at home or at work and your caller ID shows that you're calling yourself (your number appearing) or a number from a family member or other person of trust appears? This is child's play compared to what we're seeing now.

My only point being that criminals are just that, criminals. These people EARN A LIVING by circumventing ALL rules. They are freakin' GREAT at it too! Adding a pay wall to access the forum or just the classified section won't make a single dent. In fact, it will greatly increase the amount of scammer posts. Why? Because by adding a pay wall or multi-step usage requirement you've fulfilled one of the key requirements EVERY scammer is looking for, large groups of people sharing a single common interest already predisposed to using their credit card/digital payment resources. If every forum member had to use a credit card or other digital payment option to simply join and use the forum, the scammers KNOW they can instantly make money.

The current forum rules - if followed and enforced - by forum members and the admin are just fine. It's a free classified option on a very popular forum. I've had great interactions both buying and selling. I have made several online friends due to this forum who have been amazingly helpful. I have also seen obvious scammers. If there were ways to make this specific forum back end technology more secure and "bullet proof", I would have already contacted the admin.

OP, thanks for your post!

An increasing reality that you may not be aware of. I have been developing ecommerce and forum websites for major corporations for over 20 years. I can create an automated process using ChatGPT AI to circumvent EVERY suggested new requirement listed so far to guard against crooks/scammers in about 10 minutes. This includes automatically creating and posting accurate images for each post. Every bit of my new "forum post" whether buying or selling will appear perfect. I can have AI create and automatically add new posts under almost any forum category. I can promise that 99.99% of us wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Why do I know this is true? I am one of the "good guys" too. My special area of focus is digital security. I consult with DOD and Fortune 500 companies. You would be shocked viewing what we see every single day. It's becoming more and more insane every day. Ever get a robocall at home or at work and your caller ID shows that you're calling yourself (your number appearing) or a number from a family member or other person of trust appears? This is child's play compared to what we're seeing now.

My only point being that criminals are just that, criminals. These people EARN A LIVING by circumventing ALL rules. They are freakin' GREAT at it too! Adding a pay wall to access the forum or just the classified section won't make a single dent. In fact, it will greatly increase the amount of scammer posts. Why? Because by adding a pay wall or multi-step usage requirement you've fulfilled one of the key requirements EVERY scammer is looking for, large groups of people sharing a single common interest already predisposed to using their credit card/digital payment resources. If every forum member had to use a credit card or other digital payment option to simply join and use the forum, the scammers KNOW they can instantly make money.

The current forum rules - if followed and enforced - by forum members and the admin are just fine. It's a free classified option on a very popular forum. I've had great interactions both buying and selling. I have made several online friends due to this forum who have been amazingly helpful. I have also seen obvious scammers. If there were ways to make this specific forum back end technology more secure and "bullet proof", I would have already contacted the admin.

OP, thanks for your post!
I appreciate the enlightenment on the sophistication of scamming today, however not all scammers are to the degree of sophistication as you have described. Many are just dumb *** people looking to make a lazy dollar, And for that population of folks additional deterrent measures can save someone from being a victim on this forum…hence more restrictive barriers. Just saying.

I appreciate the enlightenment on the sophistication of scamming today, however not all scammers are to the degree of sophistication as you have described. Many are just dumb *** people looking to make a lazy dollar, And for that population of folks additional deterrent measures can save someone from being a victim on this forum…hence more restrictive barriers. Just saying.
EXACTLY. was just going to post the same thing when yours popped up.

I would be for a larger post count/time on the forum to get a better feel for new members. Another thing that should be a requirement is to provide feedback(good, bad, or indifferent) when you make a transaction through the classifieds. I have had a ton of purchases as well as sales on this site, but you would never know it by my trader history of 40. I always give feedback for every transaction as it helps others know what kind of deal to expect, especially when dealing with newer members. Just my .02 worth.

Absolutely true! And for those "dumb***" scammers, members who actually follow the current forum rules along with common sense should be pretty safe.

Absolutely true! And for those "dumb***" scammers, members who actually follow the current forum rules along with common sense should be pretty safe.
not really, there has been more than one member that thought they did their due diligence that have posted about being scammed.
the rules are to lacks and too few on the part of the forum itself that with some changes might make it safer.

I've been around a while, and have bought a few things, but only from long-term members.

The only thing I would modify, respectfully, is the reference to paypal as a method for payment; if they find out a firearm is involved, and something goes wrong, they won't intervene, as their policy prohibits firearm purchases.

Also, maybe add Zelle or something similar as payment for a supporting membership.

Guys that like to smoke a joint or have a few stiff drinks, then impulse buys on the internet are bound to get taken by a scammer sooner or later as the scammers pray on greed and lust.

There is an old saying, "An Honest Man Walks in the Light where all His deeds are Known". It bears repeating, A tad bit of research on the buyer/seller on this site, then speaking over the phone can be very enlightening.

not really, there has been more than one member that thought they did their due diligence that have posted about being scammed.
the rules are to lacks and too few on the part of the forum itself that with some changes might make it safer.
True. I didn't mean that following the current rules would make any transaction completely safe. No rules will do that. Adding additional steps may also help. Not against that option either. My experience helping people who have been scammed is that every time we've worked with law enforcement we find that the buyer skipped steps and was far to emotionally involved to see or notice the obvious red flags.

Another trick the scammers have begun using (whether a "dumb***" or AI generated) is to purposely misspell words and use poor grammar to appear more real and mentally disarm their next victim. All it's going to do is get worse.

Just like the number of rodent droppings the FDA allows in a box of cereal which people still buy and eat, scammers will never be stopped on any open classified site unless you just shut down that section of the forum. The best solution would be to create a free classified option which eliminates the blind sales process. Use a true classified platform which requires all parties to register, verifies that registration, then holds all financial transactions in electronic escrow until both parties release the funds by digital confirmation.

A tad bit of research on the buyer/seller on this site, then speaking over the phone can be very enlightening.
When I purchased the shotgun from you, you only had a couple transactions on here. I contacted the other members that gave you feedback and was assured you were good to deal with but after talking with you on the phone I knew that I had nothing to worry about.
I agree with others that 30 posts/30 days would be a good starting point for classifieds.
Beware of PM's on WTB items, scammers don't like to post on the thread that they have the item you want.

So for pictures we are looking for black around the name tag as it's probably photo shopped in . I've got one from my scope delimma . Looks suspicious might be legit but does look funny . What do you think ?

Looks fake to me - look at the lens cleaner and how it's pointing down slightly due to the cover of the box. The notecard appears flat. I'd pass.

True. I didn't mean that following the current rules would make any transaction completely safe. No rules will do that. Adding additional steps may also help. Not against that option either. My experience helping people who have been scammed is that every time we've worked with law enforcement we find that the buyer skipped steps and was far to emotionally involved to see or notice the obvious red flags.

Another trick the scammers have begun using (whether a "dumb***" or AI generated) is to purposely misspell words and use poor grammar to appear more real and mentally disarm their next victim. All it's going to do is get worse.

Just like the number of rodent droppings the FDA allows in a box of cereal which people still buy and eat, scammers will never be stopped on any open classified site unless you just shut down that section of the forum. The best solution would be to create a free classified option which eliminates the blind sales process. Use a true classified platform which requires all parties to register, verifies that registration, then holds all financial transactions in electronic escrow until both parties release the funds by digital confirmation.
I wouldn't be against some sort of registration, seller fees, escrow account, even a certification icon like the LRH supporter icon next to their user name.
nothing is foolproof or perfect but doing nothing and just throwing up your hands and saying oh well it is your fault just don't cut it in my book. it would be nice to start using the classifieds again and not be praying every time you use it.