One More Year , I Hope!

I have a completely trashed rt shoulder, not surgically repairable. Can't even go artificial its so bad. I killed decent 8 last year and thought prob last one with Hoyt Double XL. Hoyt BTW, awesome company! They made new limbs for me at 50-60 so I could try to keep shooting. Did not charge me a lot to do so! Very grateful!

But fast forward June 2022. Could not pull bow back at all. Shoulder killing me. Had to wait till August for steroid shot due to shot timing issue. Shot went fine and I waited till today to try to pull bow back at 52lbs.

Wow! I could not pull bow back in June, got steroid shot in late August and just shot 8 arrows in basement, no prob pulling back and shot pretty good! So now to outside in couple days and shoot 10, I hope at distance. It was so nice to be able to pull bow!

I have to baby the shoulder for hunting season and not over work it. I had no trouble hitting spots at 15 yds in basement so my form holds true. It should from shooting same form for 50 years!!

You cannot imagine the joy of being able to still pull bow back without screaming pain.

My mantra: One More Year!
Have you tried a reverse shoulder operation mine came out great a surgeon said is worst one he has done

From one geezer to another...ya gotta be tough to get old...I am still shooting compound @ 50lb...not going cross bow until I have to
I don't even think I'm considered a geezer yet! I kept trying to shoot my compound but I didn't think I was shooting nearly as good as I should be. I love to watch them fall after I shoot em and hate tracking over hill and dale so I hung it up. And yea 50# is plenty for deer at moderate ranges.

I am an anal retentive guy which has carried over from my career, drives my wife nuts at times!

Here is the surgeon I used and HIGHLY recommend him for a lot of reasons. He understood my bow hunting passion and believes I still can do it if I don't get stupid with poundage based upon my total physiology of being Sasquatches brother. We discussed reverse shoulder but it would end my bow hunting fast. He is a sports guys so he gets it and discussed all options and what I can do or not even try to do. If you can a referral to see him, I would encourage you to do so. He has a PA that works with him and he also is a sports guy and gets it. When I showed my 8 from last year with bow, he high fived me! They want you to be successful no matter what you intend to do within the imitations they spell out for you. They will work with you to help you get to the level you can. I also have a PT location that is not part of their practice that does a lot of his PT, the owner is former ND player and he gets it too. My PT has been spectacular there from sense of speed of recovery. They push you to do what is necessary and IF you do your work at home they KNOW it and they get you going. I have done 3 shoulder PT's there and all have been done well before normal timetable since I did my PT homework religiously. The hardest part in PT is I am outside the 95% so when they schedule a weight for me it is still kind of funny since just my total strength is still allows me to do it. I told them they really need to use the Sasquatch Scale and yes they understood that too.

If you are anywhere near South Bend, IN, I would recommend him in a heartbeat, I have the utmost confidence in him.
===========================================================================
"Dr. Brian Ratigan is a Board-Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon who specializes in sports medicine with an interest in arthroscopic and reconstructive surgery of the shoulder and knee. He is the Director of Orthopaedic Care for Notre Dame Athletics and specifically the head Orthopaedic physician for football, men and women basketball, men and women soccer, track, and baseball. Dr. Ratigan's specialized procedures include shoulder arthroscopies, rotator cuff and labral repairs, total and reverse total shoulder arthroplasties, knee arthroscopies, ACL reconstructions, MPFL reconstructions, robotic assist (MAKO) total knee replacements, partial knee replacements, PRP injections, and cartilage restoration procedures in the knee."

I have a completely trashed rt shoulder, not surgically repairable. Can't even go artificial its so bad. I killed decent 8 last year and thought prob last one with Hoyt Double XL. Hoyt BTW, awesome company! They made new limbs for me at 50-60 so I could try to keep shooting. Did not charge me a lot to do so! Very grateful!

But fast forward June 2022. Could not pull bow back at all. Shoulder killing me. Had to wait till August for steroid shot due to shot timing issue. Shot went fine and I waited till today to try to pull bow back at 52lbs.

Wow! I could not pull bow back in June, got steroid shot in late August and just shot 8 arrows in basement, no prob pulling back and shot pretty good! So now to outside in couple days and shoot 10, I hope at distance. It was so nice to be able to pull bow!

I have to baby the shoulder for hunting season and not over work it. I had no trouble hitting spots at 15 yds in basement so my form holds true. It should from shooting same form for 50 years!!

You cannot imagine the joy of being able to still pull bow back without screaming pain.

My mantra: One More Year!
Muddy. I semi quit bow hunting 2 years ago. I'm right handed but my left shoulder has a tear in rotor cuff in never got repaired from back in 2005 from a quad accident. I lowered my bow down to 60 lbs last year to see how it felt. I could pull back but not enough times to practice at all. I can't lower the poundage anymore nor do it want to. I've lost interest in bow hunting the last 5 years because of. I'm happy of what I've shot with bow over the years so not a big thing to me. I do miss bow hunting elk though. Deer not so much. I've killed 5 cow and one bull elk , one buck deer and 4 Javalina in Arizona alone. I'm satisfied.
would like to get a bull in here in Wy. with a bow. Hey! It opened 9/1 and I have a tag !
🙄

Last edited:
Muddyboots,
My father is 74, has had two vertebrates fused, some surgical work on his neck, and really needs two other vertebrates fused, but they won't do anymore. We stopped hunting together some time ago because of it. I'm happy to say that this past weekend he decided to go with us on our Coues deer hunt (his home state). It's a family hunt, and he will ride around a bit and mostly stay in camp. I'm just glad he'll get to enjoy the outdoors, and I'm sure I'll hunt "close in" a few times so he can sit and glass with me just off the road.

I sure do miss him being out there with me. We were always hunting buds that went where nobody else would go. Nobody would partner with either of us usually, lol. It's hard to see him barely make it off the road now. Time is precious, and I'll be enjoying every bit of this hunt. Yes, it's the maiden voyage "on hair" for my production bullets in my own gun, but that is secondary to memories I will cherish with him being out there with me again, even in limited capacity.
👍🏻🇺🇸❤️

Agree. I am a radiologist with a musculoskeletal fellowship. I have worked with several dozen orthopedic surgeons over the years. Some are outright lousy, most are adequate and conscientious, and a few are brilliant.

I needed knee replacement done on both knees 13 years ago. I talked to several physical therapists in our locale and asked which surgeons seem to get the fewest complications and the best rehab results. That search led me to one surgeon. Although not widely known in the area, he was; Fellowship trained in hip and knee replacement - check. 10 years experienced after training in his chosen subspecialty - check. And most important to me, all of the PT's that rehab'd his patients had seen a very low rate of complication and a very high rate of success - double check. His patients got back to their chosen activities faster, had less pain, less swelling post op, and seemed most satisfied with their result.

So he replaced both of my knees. I have been 100% happy with the results. I have since hunted sheep, elk, and deer, and done nearly everything I else I did before getting them replaced.

So if you can find a brilliant, shoulder fellowship trained, 10 years experienced shoulder surgeon who has impressed the local physical therapists, you should get a solid range of options that might keep you drawing your beloved Hoyt a few years more.

Keep us posted.

Best of Luck!!
I'm getting a knee replacement later part of February. My left knee has been trashed for years . I've had both scoped . About two months ago all the sudden my left knee said that's it. Pain was bad. Last year walking downhill was painful even with knee brace and walking sticks. I got x rays and inside knee is total bone on bone. Got a cortisone/steroid shot. Didn't help at all. I've had them in shoulder, knees, hip, elbow for Years. All left side. 4 years of football, 15 years of motocross, wrecks, accidents, etc. caught up. I'm 65.

IMG_20220725_094236156_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I don't even think I'm considered a geezer yet! I kept trying to shoot my compound but I didn't think I was shooting nearly as good as I should be. I love to watch them fall after I shoot em and hate tracking over hill and dale so I hung it up. And yea 50# is plenty for deer at moderate ranges.

👍🏻I'm at that point now ... ☹️

I am an anal retentive guy which has carried over from my career, drives my wife nuts at times!

Here is the surgeon I used and HIGHLY recommend him for a lot of reasons. He understood my bow hunting passion and believes I still can do it if I don't get stupid with poundage based upon my total physiology of being Sasquatches brother. We discussed reverse shoulder but it would end my bow hunting fast. He is a sports guys so he gets it and discussed all options and what I can do or not even try to do. If you can a referral to see him, I would encourage you to do so. He has a PA that works with him and he also is a sports guy and gets it. When I showed my 8 from last year with bow, he high fived me! They want you to be successful no matter what you intend to do within the imitations they spell out for you. They will work with you to help you get to the level you can. I also have a PT location that is not part of their practice that does a lot of his PT, the owner is former ND player and he gets it too. My PT has been spectacular there from sense of speed of recovery. They push you to do what is necessary and IF you do your work at home they KNOW it and they get you going. I have done 3 shoulder PT's there and all have been done well before normal timetable since I did my PT homework religiously. The hardest part in PT is I am outside the 95% so when they schedule a weight for me it is still kind of funny since just my total strength is still allows me to do it. I told them they really need to use the Sasquatch Scale and yes they understood that too.

If you are anywhere near South Bend, IN, I would recommend him in a heartbeat, I have the utmost confidence in him.
===========================================================================
"Dr. Brian Ratigan is a Board-Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon who specializes in sports medicine with an interest in arthroscopic and reconstructive surgery of the shoulder and knee. He is the Director of Orthopaedic Care for Notre Dame Athletics and specifically the head Orthopaedic physician for football, men and women basketball, men and women soccer, track, and baseball. Dr. Ratigan's specialized procedures include shoulder arthroscopies, rotator cuff and labral repairs, total and reverse total shoulder arthroplasties, knee arthroscopies, ACL reconstructions, MPFL reconstructions, robotic assist (MAKO) total knee replacements, partial knee replacements, PRP injections, and cartilage restoration procedures in the knee."

Craig,
I know if you have to give up bow hunting it will be tuff. I think I swallowed that pill last year. It's not good to keep damaging your shoulder where it affects you shooting a rifle. Maybe you'll be able to focus more on shooting and reloading . I have. I do miss bow hunting though. Been 3 years . Maybe I'll give it a go this year. Maybe not. Surgeries take time to heal and rehab. Just a thought my friend. 😉

The breathtaking feeling of the release, the mystical flight of the arrow, the pure adrenaline rush leading up to, the climax of the total archery experience, I'm convinced, can only be matched by the witnessing of the birth of your first born. There's no other feeling on earth to compare. I do imagine, however, that when Jesus returns in the clouds and the dead in Christ springs forth from the ground and the sea gives up her dead, that the ecstasy of the archery experience will immediately be overshadowed by the real meaning and understanding of our existence. But until then, I will pursue the pure innocent joy of the bow and arrow, of which no temporal thing can match.

I feel your pain. I can still shoot my compound but had to go from performance setting to comfort. Hurt shoulder a few years ago. Had to drop from 70 to 50. Worked back to 60. Everyone says get a cross bow. They don't know what a rush it is to draw a bow back when you're eye to eye with a big game animal. I hunt for meat,enjoyment and to just be out there .

The people who suggest that change have not lived the bowhunting life. It's not the kill, it's the flight of the arrow.

I feel your pain. I can still shoot my compound but had to go from performance setting to comfort. Hurt shoulder a few years ago. Had to drop from 70 to 50. Worked back to 60. Everyone says get a cross bow. They don't know what a rush it is to draw a bow back when you're eye to eye with a big game animal. I hunt for meat,enjoyment and to just be out there .

The people who suggest that change have not lived the bowhunting life. It's not the kill, it's the flight of the arrow.
Totally disagree with the statement. I have been a bow hunter close to 50 years and just recently had to go to a crossbow…Why? because health issues and age made that decision for me.

I LOVE hunting, which is my passion and that is the only method I can use to keep me in the field during archery season. So, please don't turn your nose up at folks who are HAVING to use them. Who knows maybe you will be there someday too.

Recent Posts