Old eyes struggling to read the turret?

I have gotten old enough to need reading glasses. I struggled this season seeing the ballistic turret in low light conditions but then had a hell of a time using reading glasses in the urgent seconds of set-up for a shoot in the mountains. This is never an issue in practice but at game time I struggled to read the numbers and mark on the turret, and keep the animal in the scope etc.. I guess prescription shooting / sun glasses are the best option - even if they tend to fog up. Has anyone figured a better solution?
For me, prescription yellow lens glasses solved my problem with the additional benefit of improving visibility in low light.

This has been my solution to our problem. Using my wife's nail polish, have a system of red, white and blue being 3,4, and 500 yards on all rifle and scope combinations.

Attachments

• IMG_20211212_083941.jpg
    IMG_20211212_083941.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 126
I finally broke down and bought a set of prescription shooting glasses. With the big lenses and adjustable nose pieces I have them adjusted so I can see fine and also read turrets. A shotgun fitter made the suggestion, I should have done this years ago.

They have eye drops now that can be used instead of glasses. Just FDA approved! Check it out below was just in the news.

I've been on this forum for years and greatly appreciate all the shared knowledge but this my friend, if it works, is the best I've ever seen. When will it be available?

I have gotten old enough to need reading glasses. I struggled this season seeing the ballistic turret in low light conditions but then had a hell of a time using reading glasses in the urgent seconds of set-up for a shoot in the mountains. This is never an issue in practice but at game time I struggled to read the numbers and mark on the turret, and keep the animal in the scope etc.. I guess prescription shooting / sun glasses are the best option - even if they tend to fog up. Has anyone figured a better solution?
Absolutely order a magnifier from MK MACHINING..MO they are a great company tons to offer and REASONABLE!

Attachments

• 16393278523737827633110987294018.jpg
    16393278523737827633110987294018.jpg
    604 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
I grew up in an organization that used quick reference BDC's in low light, and in fleeting g target environments. The attached pic shows the solution we used, and my family and I still use to this day hunting. It's very quick, takes out the guesswork of conversion of MOA or MIL to actual firing solutions. Just lase, dial, roll on parallax if needed, and send it. Old eyes or young, it's often difficult to read small etched dials under duress in the heat of the moment. The objective or BDC tapes is to eliminate as many steps as possible when acquiring a firing solution, then put the shot on target accurately. Also, use pencil when marking your yard lines for two reasons. 1. As your barrel wears, or loads/components change you can erase and adjust as needed. 2. Pencil doesn't run in wet weather conditions 😉. A good hockey tape from any sporting goods store is optimum. Good luck to you, one old rifleman to another😎

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 123
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 112
I think I have created a solution at least in my mind but I am wanting to try to get a patent for this idea and cannot reveal it just yet .I have some vision problems and wear trifocal lenses, this year I got contacts so I didn't have to carry glasses and they wouldn't fog up and then the issue of turrets came up where I need readers this is where my idea comes in but that's about all I can reveal now
Pllllllllllllh! ( that's the sound one makes when you stick your tongue out and blow) Weren't you a wealth of information!!!° 🤣

Pllllllllllllh! ( that's the sound one makes when you stick your tongue out and blow) Weren't you a wealth of information!!!° 🤣
I guess it does amount to just a big tease I should not of said anything as it will be quite some time before it is even in production if at all, but to ease a few inquisitive minds it's very simple is just another form of glasses and I never knew about the lens on scope thing that is new to me

I know my round mil drop to 1000 in my head,pretty easy to get in memory with mils.I start at 400=1.4
One caliber/rifle-glass set up is relatively easy to remember drop. Multiple weapon platforms and loads gets difficult. BDC tape is constant. Always ready on that specific system/load. The only input needed is distance/wind, dial and send. Just a cost effective easy way to quickly execute a firing solution.

I guess it does amount to just a big tease I should not of said anything as it will be quite some time before it is even in production if at all, but to ease a few inquisitive minds it's very simple is just another form of glasses and I never knew about the lens on scope thing that is new to me
Not to worry....I will give you one when you get here! Geeeeeezzzzz....at least a few of us old GUY(s) try to keep up with modern times...if you're planing still on bringing Davey's ( Crocket) signed flintlock....I'll loan you a rifle that uses metal cartridges...Google them! 🤣

I've had to wear glasses all my life, so when I started having near-field problems, I bit the bullet and bought prescription shooting glasses. While I was at it, I also took the opportunity to get lenses with an ANSI Z87+ impact rating because you only get one set of eyeballs. Expensive, but I'm glad I did it and I can shoot all day without problems. If you're at all serious about shooting, my advice is don't use half-way measures; get a good set of glasses and fix the problem once and for all... and protect your eyes!

PS: About those eyedrops. They work by narrowing your pupils (to any photographer, smaller aperture results in greater depth of focus). But it also means LESS light to the retina, which means poorer vision in low-light conditions. This is exactly the reverse of what the OP wants. There's no free lunch from Mother Nature...