Not a LRH gunsmith question

I'm sorry guys....I just don't want to put the manufacturer out here for the bashing to start. I know that when all the internal parts were changed, if something did happen, it was on me not the manufacturers. That is why I would do the safety test every couple of months. Just to try to prevent this. Thanks again guys

First things first. This is 100 percent a huge safety issue and should not be up for discussion of any fixes by any one of us. It needs to go to a Smith in person and resolved by someone in real time. I am a gunsmith of 30 yrs and have a pretty good idea what it is and I would never do this in a post. That pistol needs to be in the hands physically of the person troubleshooting it. To the op. You can get some guesses on what it might be but please just take it to a shop and be on the safe side. If your looking at the parts right now and don't know what you did then you need a shop anyway. I'm not trying to be mean or condescending I'm trying to make certain nobody else gets hurt or much worse. Safety first. We all grew up with that word associated with firearms. Safety.
Then someone said why would he want to rework a mid range 1911.
1800 is not a mid-range 1911 to most folks. As gun enthusiast working on guns is what we do. The 2 biggest aftermarkets for guns are the AR and 1911. I don't know anyone who has a 1911 with no mods. At least 3 people already identified the problem with your 1911. Please just go get it fixed. Hope your hand gets better soon.
Shep

First things first. This is 100 percent a huge safety issue and should not be up for discussion of any fixes by any one of us. It needs to go to a Smith in person and resolved by someone in real time. I am a gunsmith of 30 yrs and have a pretty good idea what it is and I would never do this in a post. That pistol needs to be in the hands physically of the person troubleshooting it. To the op. You can get some guesses on what it might be but please just take it to a shop and be on the safe side. If your looking at the parts right now and don't know what you did then you need a shop anyway. I'm not trying to be mean or condescending I'm trying to make certain nobody else gets hurt or much worse. Safety first. We all grew up with that word associated with firearms. Safety.
Then someone said why would he want to rework a mid range 1911.
1800 is not a mid-range 1911 to most folks. As gun enthusiast working on guns is what we do. The 2 biggest aftermarkets for guns are the AR and 1911. I don't know anyone who has a 1911 with no mods. At least 3 people already identified the problem with your 1911. Please just go get it fixed. Hope your hand gets better soon.
Shep
Yes...safety is #1. Always has been in my life. Not only with firearms, but it's a part of my every day life. Being in oil and gas industry for 27 years, it gets bet into your head so much, it becomes a habit.
It this point, I am going to agree with you, that a good, 1911 Smith needs to get this. Earlier when my son and I did the check. I was nervous to even get it out. Knowing it wasn't loaded or even had a mag in it. It still made my stomach roll when I picked it up. I don't want this situation to end with me being "gun shy".
I love the sport, have several handguns and even more rifles.

Just to clarify guys...I have put 1000s of rounds thought this 1911. I've had it almost 6 years, had MIM parts replaced with tool steel parts about 5 years. I've never had an issues with it. No feed issues, no ejection issues, nothing.
As some remember, the MIM parts were more subject to break. That's the reason for the replacements.
I did the work myself. But I didn't have to do any work to the new parts.

After I post this, I had to come back and edit it.
By no means am I trying to take the blame away from myself. I was the one who did the work!

I guess what I'm really trying to say is. No matter if its human error or a mechanical error. PLEASE BE SAFE!...I was very lucky to walk away with the injury I have. Don't ever get to "COMFORTABLE" with what you do. Practice safety every time!

Last edited:
I certainly feel better about it. That incedent must have scared the crap out of you.
Shep
It happened so fast, I didn't have time to get scared. All the years of safety and stuff kicked in. My wife says I'm one of the calmest people in a situation, she has ever seen.

Well as a matter..I don't reload and I leave alterations to the pros Who have Liability insurance! As you have seen Untrained modification can have disastrous results!
Just like I wouldn't repair the brakes on a school bus..I have no training!

A factory pistol with factory ammo? A stop at my attorneys right after the Emergency Room would be in order?

Last edited:
You are right in what you are saying. By no means am I denying that. I didn't modify any of the parts I changed. It was nothing any different then completely disassembling it for a good cleaning.

Please don't think I'm getting defensive. I'm just put it out there, that even though, something that works properly 1000s of times, has the potential to malfunction any given moment. Either it being human error or mechanical error.

Again, please leave manufacturers out of it. That is not my intention to bring any of them into this.
Thank you.

Welderboy, over the slide is the way every law enforcement training I have attended teaches for tap rack failure drills, slide lock reloads, and making ready. It's also the way that I train my Deputies as a firearms instructor. You did not do anything wrong in that aspect, so don't think you did.

As far as the gun, I personally would just take it to a good 1911 smith and have them fix it. My first guess is the sear, but it's just that, a guess. Then again, I am not a smith of any kind myself.

Last edited:
Firearm accidents happen. Doesn't matter what is was that caused it we try to figure it out so that it can be prevented from happening again. The OP has had an accident and has put himself out there for all of us to see. He has asked for help to determine the cause. He is doing everything right to get closure on the accident. Once he knows for sure the failure is his own doing or a part malfunction it can be corrected to prevent it from happening again. Please let us know what it was that caused this.
Shep

I had the same thing happen with a 22 auto. The problem was powder residue. I completely stripped it down and cleaned everything. Problem solved! I now do the same thing with my Glock and Kimber 1911. Every time I’m amazed how much residue there was. Good luck!

First I would disassemble and inspect the hammer hook (it should be 90 deg to the lower surface of the hammer and no narrower than .020 for a carry firearm). Inspect the sear to make sure it is not fractured) if these are OK try more tension on the sear spring (left finger of the flat leaf spring). A carry gun should not have a trigger lighter than 3-3.5#. The issue may be sear bounce if the sear spring is too light.

By no means am I a gun smith or do I know what failed with your 1911 however I do know what failed with the colt mustang that I had
I bought it off a dentist that thought his true calling was a gun smith and he polished up the parts with his fancy teeth tools and turned it into full auto but you had to pull the trigger first and I had to buy new parts

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.