No more bacon for you!

Hunting is the problem, because it means management to ensure animals for the next paying customers. Shooting and killing is what is needed. You can't target just the 2 sows and boar and let the 20 piglets under them go for next week's customer. Hunting does not work, killing does and traps do not discriminate between 2 week old piglet and sow
When I think of hunting hogs management is nowhere in my definition. I don't care if guys rent helicopters and shoot them with machine guns. In my opinion there should be no season, limit, type of weapon, or anything else that will keep someone out of the woods if they want to target hogs. I know a couple of guys in Texas that are fairly well off that built a machine that is super tall, lights up the entire area, and they literally have machine guns mounted to it. They routinely kill 150 a night. Not a lot folks are able to trap that many, and those guys attempt to kill them all. I understand it is not "normal" hunting, but it is hunting, and government should turn folks loose when it comes to those varmints.

Hunting is the problem, because it means management to ensure animals for the next paying customers. Shooting and killing is what is needed. You can't target just the 2 sows and boar and let the 20 piglets under them go for next week's customer. Hunting does not work, killing does and traps do not discriminate between 2 week old piglet and sow
Aaron's place in Texas is shoot every one you see no limits . But it has become big business in alot of states . Especially one's with high fencing and limited public land .Trapping is non discriminating but only works if the pigs are killed . Most are sold to high fence hunting operations. I do get the process as the land owner is trying to recoup for losses. But pigs are smart and will and do figure a way out of the fencing .

When I think of hunting hogs management is nowhere in my definition. I don't care if guys rent helicopters and shoot them with machine guns. In my opinion there should be no season, limit, type of weapon, or anything else that will keep someone out of the woods if they want to target hogs. I know a couple of guys in Texas that are fairly well off that built a machine that is super tall, lights up the entire area, and they literally have machine guns mounted to it. They routinely kill 150 a night. Not a lot folks are able to trap that many, and those guys attempt to kill them all. I understand it is not "normal" hunting, but it is hunting, and government should turn folks loose when it comes to those varmints.
That’s shooting, not hunting

Aaron's place in Texas is shoot every one you see no limits . But it has become big business in alot of states . Especially one's with high fencing and limited public land .Trapping is non discriminating but only works if the pigs are killed . Most are sold to high fence hunting operations. I do get the process as the land owner is trying to recoup for losses. But pigs are smart and will and do figure a way out of the fencing .
Make it illegal to sell live untagged wild/feral hogs in that state. In NC they have to be ear tagged to take down the road, and illegal to sell.

This is insane. They are here to stay. At this point it's about managing numbers.

Trapping works. Hunting has no significant effect, but helps a tiny bit.

Banning hunting is a ridiculous idea probably formed from a committee of people who have never hunted in their lifetime.

Hunting does not hurt as long as outfitters are not releasing hogs solely for hunters.

Hunting should be a part of every management plan with game and invasive species.

California has a deer problem on Catalina island and with no predators to help balance the numbers there's just to many. Lots of this is due to lack of hunting on the island for years . Instead of letting hunting help and making it easier to hunt there the plan is to hire helicopter gunners and shoot everything they see . Government at work !😡. What a waste of resources if they'd make it easier and cheaper the hunters would definitely help and not leave the deer where it's shot like the helicopter gunners will. Pay for deer removal or get paid by hunting to have the numbers reduced.

The Meateater podcast has an episode or two with great info about that.

Kentucky bans hog hunting

I thought the whole idea was to eradicate them? Who cares if hunting is working well? That's the point. This ban seems, to me, to be a solution looking for a problem.

This seems unenforceable since it will mostly be on folk’s private land. I’m guessing the other states the article mentions that have bans aren’t super successful banning the hunting of the species. Maybe I’m incorrect, but my gut tells me otherwise.

I thought the whole idea was to eradicate them? Who cares if hunting is working well? That's the point. This ban seems, to me, to be a solution looking for a problem.

Where hunting hogs is popular outfitters and those who profit from the hunts tend to release hogs to ensure hunts go well and the money keeps coming in.

There are those who would profit from hogs remaining on the landscape and those who would profit from eradication. Sometimes they are the same person.

Hunting hogs and coyotes will never eradicate them or even keep populations in check. It has been shown that hunting may increase numbers. Kill a few and fecundity may increase resulting in a net increase in population.

This seems unenforceable since it will mostly be on folk's private land. I'm guessing the other states the article mentions that have bans aren't super successful banning the hunting of the species. Maybe I'm incorrect, but my gut tells me otherwise.
When I read an earlier article about this THEY said it's only for public land not private land owners. I'd be damnd that THEY tell me what to do if I had my own land with invasive species destroying my land. BUT THATS ME

When I read an earlier article about this THEY said it's only for public land not private land owners. I'd be damnd that THEY tell me what to do if I had my own land with invasive species destroying my land. BUT THATS ME
Well, that’s dumb. Not a ton of public land there (from my western perspective). So…they’re accomplishing not much.