New to reloading which primers to use

I first wanted to get into reloading because i was under the impression it was cheaper than store bought ammo but after doing a bit of research i realized it wasn't, and if it is you're barely saving anything at all, literal cents per bullet, but after taking some of my guns apart and putting them back together i realized how relaxing and fun it was. So i imagine reloading would probably be pretty similar, a nice little hobby.
charlie-murphy-laugh[1].gif

I obviously don't know how tailoring rounds to your rifle works as i haven't done it but right there in itself seems worth it even if you don't save any money on it
When you figure that out, you'll understand why people around this forum hand-load. The start-up cost is high and the break-even point is a far piece down the road. That said, if I was starting from scratch with just what I _know_, I'd go forward with the investment required to hand-load.

Somebody before this reply said, "This place ain't about paper plate accuracy." There was another comment about "300yds and in." I'm pretty sure most of us here are interested in hitting a soup can at 600yds with a cold bore shot. After that you're ready to ethically hunt animals at long distance.

I think you're already down the rabbit hole now. 🤣 Just keep enjoying your progress. Everything you'll ever need to know has already been addressed right here. You've just got to wade through it.

Hello all, i have a few questions. I am new to firearms. I am from Canada and just got my license last year. Due to the pandemic i am aware there's a shortage on reloading supplies but we've been hit bad especially here and still hard to come by, so as supplies pops up and comes available i'd like to purchase it while i can despite not knowing anything about reloading yet. I own a Tikka T3X CTR in .308 I am currently looking at purchasing some primers as they've finally come in stock online but i honestly don't have a clue which i should buy. I am looking at Federal 210 large rifle primers. However i also see 215. I was considering picking up the 210 but don't want to waste the money if they're not even the ones i need

Also second question. What is the best reloading manual that could help a noob such as myself learn. Last question which reloading brand would you recommend? i am not fully aware of all the reloading brands but i've been into cabelas looking around and they have lyman, and nosler which are the two brands i see most of, i'm sure there's tons of others. Thanks in advance and apologies for the rookie questions
Welcome here, and a fellow Canuck says hi. Honestly when it comes to primers if you can
Find and afford them, BUY THEM!

Where I am large rifle primers are the only thing still hard to find, large rifle magnum are relatively available now. To be honest using magnum primers in non magnum cartridges won't hurt a darn thing. If it's the right size for
The primer pocket and goes bang, go for
It.

When you figure that out, you'll understand why people around this forum hand-load. The start-up cost is high and the break-even point is a far piece down the road. That said, if I was starting from scratch with just what I _know_, I'd go forward with the investment required to hand-load.

Somebody before this reply said, "This place ain't about paper plate accuracy." There was another comment about "300yds and in." I'm pretty sure most of us here are interested in hitting a soup can at 600yds with a cold bore shot. After that you're ready to ethically hunt animals at long distance.

I think you're already down the rabbit hole now. 🤣 Just keep enjoying your progress. Everything you'll ever need to know has already been addressed right here. You've just got to wade through it.

I think you're already down the rabbit hole now. 🤣 Just keep enjoying your progress. Everything you'll ever need to know has already been addressed right here. You've just got to wade through it
Honestly that's fair. Yeah, i bought 400 primers the other day, and will buy brass/projectiles/powders as i see them come available, only have so much money at the moment so will worry about getting the dies, presses etc in the not too distant future, and focus on the the stuff like brass and primers and such for right now as they're really scarce to come by here in canada, most places sold out still due to the pandemic, you can find them but most of the time it's sold out so you just gotta keep monitoring it until you see stuff come into stock and act fast as it'll sell out quick. Not in too much of a rush for the dies and stuff just yet as i live in a 1 bedroom apartment no room to set up reloading stuff atm unfortunately but hopefully soon enough will get a bigger place so do all that.

Yeah i think i'm well down the rabbit hole now myself lol. I've certainly had everything i need mentioned for now so will just keep on trucking with it i guess so how it goes

Recent Posts