New to reloading which primers to use

Find generic reloading manuals. Some older ones are excellent. Handloader digest is one example, Used book store or gun shows usually have them available. Brand specific books I'll try to sell you stuff from their catalogues.

Join a gun club, talk to re loaders and maybe find someone willing to mentor you.

Good luck and have fun!

Using older manuals is ok, something I do as well, but be careful as sometimes powders will change slightly and the older books will not have that info. For instance, older manuals show different charges for H110 and W296 (pistol powders) but today, the manufacturers say they are one in the same, even though some manuals still show seperate loads. This is probably due to variations in different batches of powder. Plus older manuals may not show loads for newer powders. If you stick with traditional powders you should be ok. Traditional powders for .308 would be 748, IMR4350 and many others that work as well and perhaps better. The .308 is a very versatile cartridge!

Every firearm is unique as to what it likes best and there is no way to tell until you try them in your firearm. So threads such as "What's the best (bullet, powder, primer, whatever) for .308" can never be more than guides. What works best in my .308 may not do well in yours, even if they are the same brand!
Cheers,
crkckr

First of all, I use magnum primers in all of my rifle loads. I have found the Federal GM210M, Large Rifle Magnum primers to be reliable and in my case readily available. With magnum primers, especially when starting to work up a load from scratch I have found that there is no difference, It also simplifies which primer to use without going broke buying a primer for this and a primer for that. I have also used Winchester and CCI primers with great success.

I have been reloading since 1972 and while having used Lyman and Redding equipment have pretty much gone to RCBS for all of my loading equipment, RCBS makes high-quality equipment at a reasonable price and backs it up with, so far over the years, a 100% warranty. If something breaks or doesn't work quite right, call them and it will be replaced on the spot.

As for manuals, I use a variety of manuals based on the type of bullet being loaded. For a how to do it manual, The ABCs of Reloading is a good guide, As well as the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading. Since most of my reloading is done with either Sierra or Nosler bullets, I use the Nosler 9 and Sierra 6th edition manuals. I have found it best to use the reloading manual for whatever bullet you are planning to shoot.

Good Luck and Have Fun.
Fed GM210M are NOT magnum primers. They are "Match" primers.

First of all, I use magnum primers in all of my rifle loads. I have found the Federal GM210M, Large Rifle Magnum primers to be reliable and in my case readily available. With magnum primers, especially when starting to work up a load from scratch I have found that there is no difference, It also simplifies which primer to use without going broke buying a primer for this and a primer for that. I have also used Winchester and CCI primers with great success.

I have been reloading since 1972 and while having used Lyman and Redding equipment have pretty much gone to RCBS for all of my loading equipment, RCBS makes high-quality equipment at a reasonable price and backs it up with, so far over the years, a 100% warranty. If something breaks or doesn't work quite right, call them and it will be replaced on the spot.

As for manuals, I use a variety of manuals based on the type of bullet being loaded. For a how to do it manual, The ABCs of Reloading is a good guide, As well as the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading. Since most of my reloading is done with either Sierra or Nosler bullets, I use the Nosler 9 and Sierra 6th edition manuals. I have found it best to use the reloading manual for whatever bullet you are planning to shoot.

Good Luck and Have Fun.
Fed 210M are NOT magnum primers. They are "Match"

The Fed GM215M are the Match Large Rifle Magnum primers.

20240929_115734.jpg

Recent Posts