New to AR questions

Monteria

I've never been an AR guy, but I think I'm going to slap one together as a 300blk as a subsonic suppressed truck gun.

I do own a 5.56 and intend to repurpose my current lower.

What I know I need/want is 300blk, complete upper (I dont intend learn enough to piece an upper together), 16" barrel, 11 to 12" hand guard (my suppressor has a 4" reflex), inexpensive (I really do intend for this gun to be a throw around, 100 yard, beat around, ranch tool)

That said, I have some questions...

1) I understand that pistol length gas systems are preferred for subsonic use. But, I also read that most carbine length will cycle subsonic when suppressed. I assume that carbine length will be preferred if I did decide to shoot supers. Is that correct? Should I just dedicate to subsonic if that's my primary intent? Or can I expect reliable correct function from carbine length and suppressor with subs?

2) I think that I like side charging. At least I like the idea. I know that I dislike the rear charging on my 5.56. Are there any reasons I should avoid side charging?

3) does anyone have any affordable suggestions? I'm currently looking at couple inexpensive options from bear creek arsenal.

Oh yeah, I'd also like it to be as light weight as possible...

Thanks,

Steve

300BLK subsonic is just a lot of fun. I resisted for a while. Built a 9mm AR thinking it would be about the same thing but cheaper and faster to reload on my progressive press.

But 9mm ARs are blowback, have a heavier bolt, etc. Gun moves around a bit, etc. Fun gun, but eventually I picked up a 300BLK upper. Mine is 8.5" with pistol gas. I've only shot subs out it so far. Eventually I got sick of swapping uppers and built up a lower for it so I have a dedicated 300BLK AR now.

I'm not sure on your question about pistol vs carbine because I don't see a point in supersonic rounds as I have ARs with better ballistics IMO (6.5 grendel, .223, .30 Practical).

I'm not sure on your question about pistol vs carbine because I don't see a point in supersonic rounds as I have ARs with better ballistics IMO (6.5 grendel, .223, .30 Practical).

You make a great point. My thought was that my son might want to hunt with it and supers might be the ticket. But he and I too have other and arguably much better options available. So maybe the perceived benefit of super options is superfluous...

Hello,
i would recommend to you , that you purchase some thing like this
it will save you time and money in the end .
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...ant-m-lok-moe-ept-sba3-pistol-5165448816.html

I can appreciate that, but I want 16" (rifle) and my suppressor wouldn't fit with a full length hand guard anyway.

I have hunted with a side charging subsonic 300blk pistol build with a CGS Hyperion can for a while. Everything you mentioned can be tuned with either an adjustable gas block or changing the buffer weight.

IF you intend to shoot supers, go with the carbine length gas system, you can adjust it to run fine for subs.

I've even toyed with the idea of taking my gas system out, turning the gas block around, and running my side-charger as a stupid quiet bolt gun.

I have hunted with a side charging subsonic 300blk pistol build with a CGS Hyperion can for a while. Everything you mentioned can be tuned with either an adjustable gas block or changing the buffer weight.

IF you intend to shoot supers, go with the carbine length gas system, you can adjust it to run fine for subs.

I've even toyed with the idea of taking my gas system out, turning the gas block around, and running my side-charger as a stupid quiet bolt gun.

I was not aware of lighter buffer weight as a tuning option. I also thought adjustable gas blocks were for the purpose of restricting pressure. I had no idea that they could be opened to increase from "standard" pressure too (which is what i think i understand you to be implying?).

So I should be able to run subs pushed by H110 with a carbine length gas system reliably, even if it does take a little tuning?

I was not aware of lighter buffer weight as a tuning option. I also thought adjustable gas blocks were for the purpose of restricting pressure. I had no idea that they could be opened to increase from "standard" pressure too (which is what i think i understand you to be implying?).

So I should be able to run subs pushed by H110 with a carbine length gas system reliably, even if it does take a little tuning?
Absolutely, I run a 10.5" with an H2 buffer and H110 or A1680 is my powder of choice.

Here is a quick video of what I hunt with.

I just went down this road but built a gun. I went pistol length and a 16 inches. It's gonna be my primary hog gun . After getting it all put together and suppressor on I probably will be submitting for a sbr stamp and running a 8 or 10 inch upper . You can run either gas system as long as you have a adjustable block . Might need a different weight buffer . At the time I was putting this together I had 3 suppressors waiting for the atf and couldn't bring myself to have another thing waiting for the approval. I'm not in it much as my dad gets those build boxes that you can sign up for and most all the parts except a stripped upper and lower were there . I have yet to shoot it as it's getting hot here in Arizona already 110-115 this week.

Attachments

• 20240323_160039.jpg
    20240323_160039.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 29
A potential negative with a side charge is that it can and will get caught on things and will half rack a round. I’ve had it happen to me being carried around and being bumped around on a 4x4 and mule.
My quick solution was to buy a plastic brass catcher (link below) drimmel out the back portion so the side charge won’t hit it and I never use the lower portion that catches the brass.
Subsonics are fun if you keep target close. Don’t know what intended targets are but ammo cost can get pricey can get up there with expanding subsonics.

I built a 16” 1:8 twist that I keep suppressed all the time with a mid length hand guard. It would always cycle with supers and commercial 220 grain subs. I found I had to use AA1680 on the 220 reloads because I could not get it to cycle completely on H110.
Carbine length gas system wide open. Now works reliably. I didn’t want to change the buffer weight because I shoot supers too.
As far as the charging handle goes, you might be happier if you switch to the larger Raptor type handle. That’s what I did.

I built a 16" 1:8 twist that I keep suppressed all the time with a mid length hand guard. It would always cycle with supers and commercial 220 grain subs. I found I had to use AA1680 on the 220 reloads because I could not get it to cycle completely on H110.
Carbine length gas system wide open. Now works reliably. I didn't want to change the buffer weight because I shoot supers too.
As far as the charging handle goes, you might be happier if you switch to the larger Raptor type handle. That's what I did.
Good point. After running the raptor on a couple ARs, I have no tolerance for an old school military style charging handle.

Tagging in. All good comments. I have a Sig 516 that has a really nice factory installed two position gas block that is 1/8 turn to switch between suppressed and unsuppressed. Works awesome and.... it's a piston gas system.

@crazymonkey my wife and son are at my inlaws in Arizona now. I understand it's HOT! Appreciate the comments.

@Zen Archery I'll take that under advisement. I have access to ranches in the hill country and South TX. So the usual suspects for a beat around ranch gun.

Okay, so, let's say that I go SBR, that just leads to more questions...

1) it seems that the simplest process would be something along the lines of buy a pistol configuration, file form 1, slap a butt stock on it after form 1 approval. Is that correct?

2) how long is a pistol length gas system? Remember I need a little more than 4" between the thread tennon and the gas block, to allow for my reflex suppressor mount.

3) is there any such thing as a hand guard that's big enough in diameter to go over the suppressor? (A quick Google search didn't return any options, but I probably searched with bad terms because that seems like it would be a thing)

@crazymonkey my wife and son are at my inlaws in Arizona now. I understand it's HOT! Appreciate the comments.

@Zen Archery I'll take that under advisement. I have access to ranches in the hill country and South TX. So the usual suspects for a beat around ranch gun.

Okay, so, let's say that I go SBR, that just leads to more questions...

1) it seems that the simplest process would be something along the lines of buy a pistol configuration, file form 1, slap a butt stock on it after form 1 approval. Is that correct?

2) how long is a pistol length gas system? Remember I need a little more than 4" between the thread tennon and the gas block, to allow for my reflex suppressor mount.

3) is there any such thing as a hand guard that's big enough in diameter to go over the suppressor? (A quick Google search didn't return any options, but I probably searched with bad terms because that seems like it would be a thing)
I'll check the measurements when I get home on the pistol length . As for the sbr that's my understanding also . I haven't confirmed it tho . I know you have some information that must be engraved on the lower after your form 1 clears to make it a legal sbr .

Recent Posts