New sierra game changer vs hornady eld-x

Received an email that stated this when asked about some other offerings:
With the Game Changer line being brand new, I am sure there are going to be more offerins at some point. As to what and when I do not have any additional information. Thanks

Guess only time will tell.
I keep saying this: if demand dictates supply, then why don't the 90,000+ members on this site demand? I bet that if a fraction of us hit them with an email (every day!) it would get their attention. Look at some of the other "groups" (no matter how small a percentage) that seem to get whatever they want, no matter how immoral or crazy. Those who speak loudest get heard.
But hey, what do I know?!

Received an email that stated this when asked about some other offerings:
With the Game Changer line being brand new, I am sure there are going to be more offerins at some point. As to what and when I do not have any additional information. Thanks

Guess only time will tell.
I keep saying this: if demand dictates supply, then why don't the 90,000+ members on this site demand? I bet that if a fraction of us hit them with an email (every day!) it would get their attention. Look at some of the other "groups" (no matter how small a percentage) that seem to get whatever they want, no matter how immoral or crazy. Those who speak loudest get heard.
But hey, what do I know?!
Totally, but with lobbying something a focused agenda is needed...which bullets could we all agree on?
Lol everything gets argued about on the forum.

I just spoke with the Sierra tech and picked up some more info. First of all, he doesn't have a date, but I think we can be sure that more will follow.
Now the good news and bad news IMO. I questioned him pretty thoroughly on the construction and determined the following. It may be the toughest bullet that Sierra has ever constructed. It has a thicker jacket than even the game king plus a harder core (alloy). My take on this is that it will be a great hunting round from point blank to maybe 800 yards depending on mv? In fact, when pushed, he admitted it likely wouldn't expand at 1000 yards. He made reference to 1800' impact range? My guess is, it may be need to be higher to get very MUCH expansion at that range. Sounds like a good bullet but maybe not as good as the ELDM and X for long range. Not what I was hoping to hear, for me personally. It sounds like they made a high b c bullet that will work best with high impact? This sounds much like the performance you would get from a higher b c accubond. Not altogether bad I guess?

I just spoke with the Sierra tech and picked up some more info. First of all, he doesn't have a date, but I think we can be sure that more will follow.
Now the good news and bad news IMO. I questioned him pretty thoroughly on the construction and determined the following. It may be the toughest bullet that Sierra has ever constructed. It has a thicker jacket than even the game king plus a harder core (alloy). My take on this is that it will be a great hunting round from point blank to maybe 800 yards depending on mv? In fact, when pushed, he admitted it likely wouldn't expand at 1000 yards. He made reference to 1800' impact range? My guess is, it may be need to be higher to get very MUCH expansion at that range. Sounds like a good bullet but maybe not as good as the ELDM and X for long range. Not what I was hoping to hear, for me personally. It sounds like they made a high b c bullet that will work best with high impact? This sounds much like the performance you would get from a higher b c accubond. Not altogether bad I guess?
not what I was hoping to hear, most bullets (unless touted as a LR bullet) only expand down to 1800fps, seems like this might be the case for this one too--just have to wait and see I guess once real world testing/hunting is done

Realistically, this is what I'm looking for in my 7mm. It's not a long range rifle. Although, with the 162 eld-m I've taken it to 1,000 yards with a 3-9 power scope without too much difficulty. This is going to have good penetration and blow holes through both sides. I still love the eld line for whitetails, but I'm going to give these a go and see how good they really are.

Realistically, this is what I'm looking for in my 7mm. It's not a long range rifle. Although, with the 162 eld-m I've taken it to 1,000 yards with a 3-9 power scope without too much difficulty. This is going to have good penetration and blow holes through both sides. I still love the eld line for whitetails, but I'm going to give these a go and see how good they really are.

I really do think they will be great bullet, just not what I was after for long range. I will likely use them in a couple of my rifles

CS--after crunching numbers for the 7 rem mag you are right--if I can get around 3050fps MV like I get with the eldx's then here in CO the bullet would should expand out to 1100 yards (at high hunting altitudes) and still retain just over 1800fps and around 1200 ft lbs--- plenty good as long as they are accurate

I am looking forward to the Sierra GameChanger. I questioned Sierra techs a year or so ago about making a long range, modern, GameKing style bullet. It seems they may have done that. The 1800fps expansion velocity isn't the most ideal for long range hunting, but realistically that will get you out to 700-900 yards with most long range cartridges with these bullets. I hope they offer a 6.5mm in the 140+ weight range and a 30cal in the 190+ range. That would be really nice to see. I believe in heavy for caliber bullets in all scenarios. Even at short ranges, more weight means more bullet that can drive through, even on an explosive bullet such as an ELD-M, which is my favorite bullet currently.

It is almost impossible to design a bullet that can bring down game effectively from point blank to 1000 yards or beyond. What Rich (elkaholic) said is spot on. I agree with everything he said. It's hard to get a bullet to shoot like a target projectile, but still kill like a traditional hunting bullet. I've always been a fan of Hornady bullets. I like the old AMAXs and the new ELDs even more. They may not be as consistent or shoot groups as small as Bergers or SMKs, but from my experience, they tune pretty easy and will shoot sub half MOA in a good rifle. A Berger might shoot half that size of a group, but I believe more in a tipped bullet over a hollow point. If Berger put plastic tips on their Hybrids I would be trying them as soon as possible. Sierra making a tipped hunting bullet is exciting and I look forward to seeing how they perform and what other weights they introduce.

I'm actually liking the sounds of all of this. Id be willing to bet the vast majority of subscribers to this site are shooting their game well inside of 800 yards. As a public land elk hunter, I end up following critters into the timber frequently and a bullet that will penetrate and mushroom instead of fragmenting is your friend in those conditions. If these truly do act like an accubond with a high BC, I'll be giving them 2 thumbs up. I cant say I've shot the accubond Lr's, but I saw a lot of bad reviews of them because they were just too fragile inside 300 yards. This bullet should appeal to a large portion of the market.

I'm actually liking the sounds of all of this. Id be willing to bet the vast majority of subscribers to this site are shooting their game well inside of 800 yards. As a public land elk hunter, I end up following critters into the timber frequently and a bullet that will penetrate and mushroom instead of fragmenting is your friend in those conditions. If these truly do act like an accubond with a high BC, I'll be giving them 2 thumbs up. I cant say I've shot the accubond Lr's, but I saw a lot of bad reviews of them because they were just too fragile inside 300 yards. This bullet should appeal to a large portion of the market.
We shot a whitetail in the shoulder at 130 yards with a 150 LRAB out of my 270 SS at 3152'. I've never seen so much destruction and very little of the fragments got into the boiler room! He ran wide open on 3 legs for 150-200 yards and layed down. All I had to do was cut the hide to remove the whole front shoulder! I had a lot better luck with a 147 ELDM out of my 6.5 sst at 3105. I will never use a LRAB again, although they would likely work very well at 1000 yards!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts