New sierra game changer vs hornady eld-x

We shot a whitetail in the shoulder at 130 yards with a 150 LRAB out of my 270 SS at 3152'. I've never seen so much destruction and very little of the fragments got into the boiler room! He ran wide open on 3 legs for 150-200 yards and layed down. All I had to do was cut the hide to remove the whole front shoulder! I had a lot better luck with a 147 ELDM out of my 6.5 sst at 3105. I will never use a LRAB again, although they would likely work very well at 1000 yards!
What performance did you see out of the 147? I'm currently running them at around 2800 fps and was wondering how they're going to do

Totally, but with lobbying something a focused agenda is needed...which bullets could we all agree on?
Lol everything gets argued about on the forum.
I concur. How about a heavy (275-300 grain) .338 version or a 350+ grain .375. If they made an economic, high BC, hunting .375 then they could corner that market or set a precedence for others to follow. If they build it, they will sell.
If you told me you wanted another 6.5 projectile I would back your play, even though I could care less about another 6.5 anything.:D

Last edited:
What performance did you see out of the 147? I'm currently running them at around 2800 fps and was wondering how they're going to do

I shot a whitetail buck about the same distance quartering heavily away. In order to line up on the far shoulder, I had to shoot him behind the last rib. The jacket was just under the hide on the front of the off shoulder and a major piece of the core exited his brisket. The devastation in between was severe! I measured the total bullet travel at over 2 feet. He didn't go far! Impact was around 2950 ish

.........The manufacturers have to decide which game to play, and we have to decide, individually, which best fits our needs.
..........There will NEVER be a best target bullet that is the best hunting bullet, or the reverse.

The market is especially fickle, and market driven. Some good bullets have come and gone, only to be replaced with something equivalent. For some the biggest change was going from cardboard boxes to plastic.

Overcoming shooter boredom is the manufacturers main issue. I've got a bunch of perfectly good bullets on the shelf, simply because I chased new and shiny.

Consistency in mass production is tough to maintain. Some of the differences of opinion, and experience we have, (in my opinion) fall into this category.

Given the lack of universal acceptance of LRH, I'm not sure we'll ever see a bullet from the major players, made and marketed to this niche, although as some of the new manufacturers grow this could change.

A lot of good ideas out there, a one bullet solution could be out there.

I shot a whitetail buck about the same distance quartering heavily away. In order to line up on the far shoulder, I had to shoot him behind the last rib. The jacket was just under the hide on the front of the off shoulder and a major piece of the core exited his brisket. The devastation in between was severe! I measured the total bullet travel at over 2 feet. He didn't go far! Impact was around 2950 ish
Sounds similar to my 7mm rem mag with the 162 eld-m!

I concur. How about a heavy (275-300 grain) .338 version or a 350+ grain .375. If they made an economic, high BC, hunting .375 then they could corner that market or set a precedence for others to follow. If they build it, they will sell.
If you told me you wanted another 6.5 projectile I would back your play, even though I could care less about another 6.5 anything.
Deal. I will email them requesting a game changer with the 183smk profile and a 350+gr 375 cal bullet.
Now we just need to get the other 89,998 members to agree with us

Last edited:
We shot a whitetail in the shoulder at 130 yards with a 150 LRAB out of my 270 SS at 3152'. I've never seen so much destruction and very little of the fragments got into the boiler
I have used the 142 6.5 ABLR with a MV of 3000 for a few years now but not inside of 300 yards. 300 and over this bullet has been perfect for us. Dropped a bull elk last season at 530 yard with this ABLR and it drove a hole completely through the bull just behind the front shoulder with about a 3 inch exit hole. One shot and dropped in its tracks. We've taken several deer with great results. Like I stated in a earlier post, every good hunting bullet works great until it doesn't. Something didn't work the way we thought it was suppose to so we blame the bullet and never use it again. I am as bad as anyone. I only remember losing one animal that we hit, with all the different bullets we have used over the years, and it was our fault. Hit the shoulder and it got up after laying there for 5 minutes. Used a 223 to 338 Edge all with the same result. Just tried to use an appropriate tool for the job based on the cercumstances we would be hunting in and the available cartridge. Even took a coues at 273 yards with a mini-14 a few years ago using a 60gr partition. Hit it square in the chest and it liquified the heart.
The reason I see so many different combinations used is because everyone I hunt with has heard something bad about this bullet or that and insists the other person is crazy for using what he/she is using. Then everything normally works great. I am going with ELD-X this year because my rifle loves them. Just wondering if Sierra will retool the 150gr 6.5 matchking into the game changer. That would be a game changer for me.

I don't doubt one bit that you blew a 3" hole at 300 yds with a chest shot. My partner hit plenty of meat and heavy bone on that deer, and it was a far different story. If it had been an elk, it would no doubt have gotten away to die later. I do think they would work very well for long range and picking your shot better close up, but that cured me on a high velocity shoulder hit!

i want to believe.jpg

What's held me back from the eld-x is all my shots are under 200 yards so I'm afraid it's going to blow up. I used the eld-m last year and it actually held up ok to my suprise. It shed 100 grains of weight and retains 62. I was just thinking this bullet might be the happy medium between a long range hunting bullet and a traditional hunting bullet. I will be calling sierra today to find out what their impact velocity recommendation is.

I shoot the 200 gr ELDX in my 300 WSM at 2952 fps. It dropped a nice 5x5 bull elk this past season. I was only 95 yards. Could not find the bullet.....complete pass through. It obviously did it's job. The bull didn't know what hit him.
I have a friend that took a whitetail buck of a lifetime in Indiana this past season using the 178 gr ELDX in his 308 at 2799 fps. It dropped his buck in his tracks at just over 500 yards.
I know the Gunwerks guys have done a lot of testing with the ELDX, too. Although, I think they are changing over to the ELDM's

I shoot the 200 gr ELDX in my 300 WSM at 2952 fps. It dropped a nice 5x5 bull elk this past season. I was only 95 yards. Could not find the bullet.....complete pass through. It obviously did it's job. The bull didn't know what hit him.
I have a friend that took a whitetail buck of a lifetime in Indiana this past season using the 178 gr ELDX in his 308 at 2799 fps. It dropped his buck in his tracks at just over 500 yards.
I know the Gunwerks guys have done a lot of testing with the ELDX, too. Although, I think they are changing over to the ELDM's
The eld-m acted just like the old A-max for me which was a heck of a whitetail round. However, at 7mm rem mag velocities, they're alittle explosive and cause more damage than I like. I'll run the eld-m in my creed though as that's mild enough

How is he running a 178 that fast out of a 308?

It's a custom rig and the load is 45 gr Varget (compressed). I couldn't believe it either, but he showed me the chrono data. That's high end 30-06 speeds out of a 308
must be a Palma barrel too. I run 44gr of varget behind a 168eldm for 2675fps. 24" barrel

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.