New model 70 vs Tikka

Were they all maple stocks? I looked only for 264 WM on gunbroker and saw a bunch of maple and only 2 walnut stocks. One was used but excellent, the other was NIB and the ad said it was a New Haven Gun but it looked like a South Carolina gun to me. Some folks don't know what they have or just assume made in usa means New Haven, or are deliberately deceitful.
A quick search for walnut in this price range 7 rem mag 6.5 creed 338 win and 6.8 western. It has only been in recent years the Winchester offered the super grade in multiple calibers during a calendar year production. When the super grade was originally reintroduced it was only offered in one caliber per run sometimes 2 cals. Even though cartridges like the 264 were offer in the current winchster line up it does not mean they were produced in equel numbers as other more popular/projected to be good sellers are produced. Just this last year I called Winchester to find out if the extreme weather SS was going to be produced again without the muzzle break. They told me around sept 2023. They did come out with a few other offerings but the street price went from around $1050.00 to over 1500.00 so I passed. just recently I found a deal for $1100.00 and purchased it. If you do a search this run included more 6.5 creeds in the standard EW ss than any other. Most of the more limited cartridge offerings are getting scarce again. It will interesting to see what the future holds for the model 70. The list of offerings seems to shrink every year.

Midway has the 264 listed as coming soon in french walnut. They also show many cartridges unavailable limited run. I would think a smart dealer would get the inside scoop on the limited run and buy them to monopolize the offering for collectors.

One of my favorite rifles is a New Haven made model 70 Featherweight. I had to get it recrowned and Acaglass bedded to got it to to shoot 1/3 MOA.
I have experience with Tikka too, but I sold it to get a Sauer 100 classic in beechwood and have never looked back. Sauer is better. Have two of them now and they are both well under 1/3 MOA. Buy a Sauer 😀
Yep! I have a first production run 300 WSM Featherweight. It always shot great until I wore it out. Beautiful walnut and the smoothest oem production bolt action I've operated besides my Steyr which makes Defiance feel sloppy. I put a 26" Brux on the Featherweight and had the lugs lapped and the receiver trued up. As I recall my gunsmith said he had to take 0.0015" off a prtion of the receiver face. Bolt face was perfect. It shoots five 180 Scirocco II into a nickel sized hole when I do my part. I also built a long action 300 WSM on a 2003 SS New Haven long action. It required a little more machining but not much.

A quick search for walnut in this price range 7 rem mag 6.5 creed 338 win and 6.8 western. It has only been in recent years the Winchester offered the super grade in multiple calibers during a calendar year production. When the super grade was originally reintroduced it was only offered in one caliber per run sometimes 2 cals. Even though cartridges like the 264 were offer in the current winchster line up it does not mean they were produced in equel numbers as other more popular/projected to be good sellers are produced. Just this last year I called Winchester to find out if the extreme weather SS was going to be produced again without the muzzle break. They told me around sept 2023. They did come out with a few other offerings but the street price went from around $1050.00 to over 1500.00 so I passed. just recently I found a deal for $1100.00 and purchased it. If you do a search this run included more 6.5 creeds in the standard EW ss than any other. Most of the more limited cartridge offerings are getting scarce again. It will interesting to see what the future holds for the model 70. The list of offerings seems to shrink every year.
Yea. I remember seeing some Super Grade 243, 270, 308, 300 WM, and a couple other calibers a couple years ago when I had my ad up on my 264. Back then there were almost no 264 WM to be found. Today most of them are maple. Some real pretty ones but maple is a fair bit heavier than walnut and apparently cheaper too.

I think the rifles still to come are french walnut and are the most expensive but have a street price equivalent to the manufacturers suggested for maple and regular walnut.

Hey what about the Browning X-bolt? Of course it's a modern design, but the medallion variants look pretty nice. And they're lightweight. My only gripe would be that they use a detachable magazine instead of a hinged floor plate. It's not that I don't like detachable mags, it's that I don't need a new sort of mags for every rifle.

I love my Tikka because of the feeding, the reliable accuracy and the fact that the safety locks the bolt and is easy to disengage silently. The landscape is mixed between large fields and dense forests, so I often bump into deer and get a short range shot opportunity.

My Tikka is kitted out with a heavy scope, a heavy chassis and a bipod. I'd love to have a traditionally stocked rifle with similar features for those days when I feel for it. The first option is of course to get another Tikka, but their wood stocks are boring and the front ends are square in profile - very uncomfortable when shooting slinged up. Sako rifles are the same. I have large hands and long arms. I'm also not to keen on the plastic mag, and prefer a hinged floorplate for this purpose.

Enter the Winchester Model 70 Super Grade. The pictures on the web site looks great. It's about a pound heavier than the Tikka. None of my local gunshops keep Winchester guns in stock.

What are new production "Super Grade" model 70's like? Can I expect MOA accuracy? Is the wood half as good as it looks?

Any other manufacturers I should take a look at?

-hinged floorplate
-safety that locks the bolt (Bergara is out)
- nice wood stock with rounded, grippy forend
-solid platform for mounting scopes as low as possible.
I love my model 70 it was made in the mid 90s in 7mm rem mag it shoots 162 gr federal premium ammo lights out. Montana rifle company builds a very nice rifle based on the model 70 win

I love my Tikka because of the feeding, the reliable accuracy and the fact that the safety locks the bolt and is easy to disengage silently. The landscape is mixed between large fields and dense forests, so I often bump into deer and get a short range shot opportunity.

My Tikka is kitted out with a heavy scope, a heavy chassis and a bipod. I'd love to have a traditionally stocked rifle with similar features for those days when I feel for it. The first option is of course to get another Tikka, but their wood stocks are boring and the front ends are square in profile - very uncomfortable when shooting slinged up. Sako rifles are the same. I have large hands and long arms. I'm also not to keen on the plastic mag, and prefer a hinged floorplate for this purpose.

Enter the Winchester Model 70 Super Grade. The pictures on the web site looks great. It's about a pound heavier than the Tikka. None of my local gunshops keep Winchester guns in stock.

What are new production "Super Grade" model 70's like? Can I expect MOA accuracy? Is the wood half as good as it looks?

Any other manufacturers I should take a look at?

-hinged floorplate
-safety that locks the bolt (Bergara is out)
- nice wood stock with rounded, grippy forend
-solid platform for mounting scopes as low as possible.
I just picked up a Winchester model 70 super grade chambered 264 win mag. It's a beautiful piece of wood, gloss on the action and barrel is hard to beat. Every model 70 I've ever shot has been a true shooter, Right now I've got my Smith lined up with a HD5 on top I got the base no rings yet so I'll keep you posted. I load my own ammunition so I'll find something that's pretty nice to shoot. They do get pricey. I bought one of the collectors where there's a one of 130 made because I got tired of waiting for some organizations to get them back in stock. I waited for one organization, 3 1/2 years for 264 WM

Midway has the 264 listed as coming soon in french walnut. They also show many cartridges unavailable limited run. I would think a smart dealer would get the inside scoop on the limited run and buy them to monopolize the offering for collectors.
It's been coming soon for 3.5 years that's where I gave up on it at. Found one on guns international. It was one of 129 made had a mule deer etched with gold inlay on the bottom plate. Yes it was pricey but I was tired of waiting and it was my birthday so happy birthday to me.

Attachments

• IMG_0394.jpeg
    IMG_0394.jpeg
    321.6 KB · Views: 31
It's been coming soon for 3.5 years that's where I gave up on it at. Found one on guns international. It was one of 129 made had a mule deer etched with gold inlay on the bottom plate. Yes it was pricey but I was tired of waiting and it was my birthday so happy birthday to me.
Will it hunt ? Lol I would have a really hard time taking it to the woods.

C'mon now…. Don't be holdin' back with M70 eye candy. Please