New model 70 vs Tikka

I would look into the new Montana 2022 model before I would by a model 70 . I am a model 70 guy but I won't spend the money on the new ones. I have a Montana 1999. I really like that gun if you can find the caliber you want there might be some deals on gun broker

I would look into the new Montana 2022 model before I would by a model 70 . I am a model 70 guy but I won't spend the money on the new ones. I have a Montana 1999. I really like that gun if you can find the caliber you want there might be some deals on gun broker
I have had 3 or 4 kimbers both montana and wood stock classic style. In the smaller calibers the scaled down actions are cute, but the kimbers just don't convey the mod 70 vibe. I have a montana rifle company, it is a poor copy of the of the model 70 and with it's investment cast receiver more like a ruger 77. I anxiously awaited the arrival of the new montana rifle co version with forged milled receiver but with the integral to high rail any scope except the longest, unhandy objective models will look out of place, and I feel they have strayed to far from a traditional classic rifle to be appealing to the traditionalist and not far enough for the modern rifle enthusiast. Nothing like a Classic Winchester Model 70 function, feel and confidence in a rifle "the riflemans rifle" a hunting pardner that just belongs with you in the woods.

I have a Montana Rifle Company X2 in Model 1999 in 28 Nosler. It's a tack driver. In fact I should have bought a few of them in various calibers before they went out of business.

Action Runs smooth and runs Nosler accubonds and accubond long range with great groups.

I am sure the Montana 2022 is a great gun. I would definitely consider buying one.

Although we are talking M70 actions. My father has a Nosler M48 and it is a super smooth gun and shoots better than my Montana Rifle. I believe they are similar to a REM 700 action. But I am very impressed with Noslers rifles as well.

I own many of each...but it's hard to beat the price of the Vanguard's...also hard to beat the wood on the Mark Vs which is why I suggested it.
Vanguards are great for the money and in my experience they shoot fairly well as well. I have a 300 Weatherby and 257. Both are great hunting rigs.

I would love a Mark V. It's definitely something I would love to own.

What aftermarket stock has
- nice looking, classic wood
- round, preferably a bit thicc forend
- no gimmicks

There are some Richard Microfit stocks that would work well for me, but I hear they require a lot of work to look good.
One of the nicest wood stocks I have ever seen is on a Sako Deluxe. Although those are pricey I love the look of them and a Mark V

With a quick search I found 25 plus super grade m 70s all new priced from the mid $1200,00 to mid 1500.00s s there are lots more priced higher.

With a quick search I found 25 plus super grade m 70s all new priced from the mid $1200,00 to mid 1500.00s s there are lots more priced higher.
Were they all maple stocks? I looked only for 264 WM on gunbroker and saw a bunch of maple and only 2 walnut stocks. One was used but excellent, the other was NIB and the ad said it was a New Haven Gun but it looked like a South Carolina gun to me. Some folks don't know what they have or just assume made in usa means New Haven, or are deliberately deceitful.

One of my favorite rifles is a New Haven made model 70 Featherweight. I had to get it recrowned and Acaglass bedded to got it to to shoot 1/3 MOA.
I have experience with Tikka too, but I sold it to get a Sauer 100 classic in beechwood and have never looked back. Sauer is better. Have two of them now and they are both well under 1/3 MOA. Buy a Sauer 😀