New model 70 vs Tikka

Technologist

I love my Tikka because of the feeding, the reliable accuracy and the fact that the safety locks the bolt and is easy to disengage silently. The landscape is mixed between large fields and dense forests, so I often bump into deer and get a short range shot opportunity.

My Tikka is kitted out with a heavy scope, a heavy chassis and a bipod. I'd love to have a traditionally stocked rifle with similar features for those days when I feel for it. The first option is of course to get another Tikka, but their wood stocks are boring and the front ends are square in profile - very uncomfortable when shooting slinged up. Sako rifles are the same. I have large hands and long arms. I'm also not to keen on the plastic mag, and prefer a hinged floorplate for this purpose.

Enter the Winchester Model 70 Super Grade. The pictures on the web site looks great. It's about a pound heavier than the Tikka. None of my local gunshops keep Winchester guns in stock.

What are new production "Super Grade" model 70's like? Can I expect MOA accuracy? Is the wood half as good as it looks?

Any other manufacturers I should take a look at?

-hinged floorplate
-safety that locks the bolt (Bergara is out)
- nice wood stock with rounded, grippy forend
-solid platform for mounting scopes as low as possible.

I would buy the tikka and get what ever aftermarket stock you want that makes you happy. There's a lot of aftermarket goodies available now for tikka. I bet you can get a tikka set up exactly how you want for less than the high grade winchester cost.

I would buy the tikka and get what ever aftermarket stock you want that makes you happy. There's a lot of aftermarket goodies available now for tikka. I bet you can get a tikka set up exactly how you want for less than the high grade winchester cost.
What aftermarket stock has
- nice looking, classic wood
- round, preferably a bit thicc forend
- no gimmicks

There are some Richard Microfit stocks that would work well for me, but I hear they require a lot of work to look good.

We have about 5 newer model 70s.... extreme weather's, as well as ten or more previous models and never had an issue with any of them.

They are not as accurate as a tikka but with handloads can get under 1 moa.

All have fed reliably, but we typically get standard size cartridges not magnums.

Buddy has a wsm that does not feed that smooth.

Nothing feeds smoother than a tikka.

The winchester is a classic work of functional art and a piece of firearms history and I fear going away or way up in price. The tikka is a fine utility tool/rifle and will be readily available and improved on for years to come. Either way you can"t go wrong. Functional family heirloom or utilitarian tool?

I love my Tikka because of the feeding, the reliable accuracy and the fact that the safety locks the bolt and is easy to disengage silently. The landscape is mixed between large fields and dense forests, so I often bump into deer and get a short range shot opportunity.

My Tikka is kitted out with a heavy scope, a heavy chassis and a bipod. I'd love to have a traditionally stocked rifle with similar features for those days when I feel for it. The first option is of course to get another Tikka, but their wood stocks are boring and the front ends are square in profile - very uncomfortable when shooting slinged up. Sako rifles are the same. I have large hands and long arms. I'm also not to keen on the plastic mag, and prefer a hinged floorplate for this purpose.

Enter the Winchester Model 70 Super Grade. The pictures on the web site looks great. It's about a pound heavier than the Tikka. None of my local gunshops keep Winchester guns in stock.

What are new production "Super Grade" model 70's like? Can I expect MOA accuracy? Is the wood half as good as it looks?

Any other manufacturers I should take a look at?

-hinged floorplate
-safety that locks the bolt (Bergara is out)
- nice wood stock with rounded, grippy forend
-solid platform for mounting scopes as low as possible.
How about looking on Gun Broker ,or Guns International and picking up a pre 64 Model 70.
Available in traditional rounds. 243 ,264,270,308,30-06,300 H&H .
Whatever you find will probably shoot as good as you need it to.

My .270 EW is a SC made rifle and it's extremely accurate. It probably won't out shoot a Tikka, but it shoots better than I do most days. I'd rather have a Sporter or FWT over the Supergrade or EW.

Kimber . Light enough, used to be available with wooden stock, 8-40 screw holes for solid base anchoring. Three position safety with bolts that locks in place if required.
And most of them very accurate.