New and looking to learn

Wow, guys, thanks for all the replies and the welcome. Sounds like a bunch of great people here!

Hammer bullet users:
Any idea what percentage of the Hammer bullet weight is left to the shank after the pedals have separated?
My son shot our 1st game with a Hammer this past season. Mule deer, 380 yards, right behind the shoulder and we had that golf ball sized hole on the exit, no recovery to help you out. Good blood for the 30 yards he made it downhill. Discovered one of the paths of a petal while in there breaking him down, that was pretty cool. 151 Absolute Hunters out of a 16" 308WIN at 2,750. I am definitely going to be running them in a rifle with a bit more effective range next season.

Always great insight and content here, welcome to the group

Attachments

• IMG_1936.jpeg
    IMG_1936.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 32
Welcome from N J . I'm so sorry to say that we are very shy and reserved group here ,and you will never get any of these guys to express any opinions, unless you really ,really coax it out of them . It like a vow of silence!!! ( Yea Right !!!!) As a 270 Win. and 270 Weatherby Mag shooter, I look forward to hearing all about your 6.8 W loads!! Good luck Buddy!!!!

6.8w-user, Welcome from North Central Wyoming!

Can't offer any help with your bullet question, especially with your cartridge.

There are certainly "no flies" on the Hammer bullets, lots of n our forum…..I merely do not have any personal experience!
I will say though I'm unabashedly a big fan of Barnes Bullets, our (wife and I) only hunting bullet since the early '90's. I think that they are great, provided you keep your impact velocity a little bit above Barnes' indicated expansion minimum! Probably not necessary…..but, should assure goodMost of expansion! JMO.

For what it's worth…..I just this past August developed a load for my hunting rifle with the LRX bullet. I'm pretty darn happy with the velocities and the accuracy.
I just need to shoot something with it, to finialize the " Perfect Trifecta"! 😉. And again……Welcome! memtb
I was at the sheep show in Reno and the Barnes rep was there so I asked him about the minimum impacts that his long range bullets needed for reliable expansion and he mentioned that some were as low as 1300 FPS. None of these however were in calibers I use. Most of what I use are in the 1500 to 1800 range. However I have not personally shot an animal where my impact velocity has been below 2300 and I know the added speed and accurate placement means no tracking. After taking 50 or so game animals with them and loading for friends that have taken another 25 or 30 more, their effect on game has been almost perfect. I did have to stop a large wounded bull (by another in our party) and the bullet glanced off the spine and traveled diagonally thru and lodged in the far side shoulder. It went thru totally backwards and didn't deform at all except for losing the blue tip. I did try out the hammers on three cow elk. one taken by me, one by my son in law and one by a friend that neede a backup rifle. They worked as advertised so I only have kudos for that bullet design. I have seen so called superperformance bullets fail and it happened to me twice where the bullet completed grenaded in the animal and knowing the following that bullet has here in these forums, I won't mention the manufacturer. I called that manufacturer and their customer service did volunteer to replace all that I had left of that lot number. I have never used that bullet design again.

Welcome from another owner of a 6.8 Western. I've developed loads for 145 ELD-X, 165gr ABLR and 170 EOL bullets, all seem to fly very well from my xbolt.

I'm intrigued by the 155 LRX bullet, I think it's going to be a great option for the 6.8W. I'm still torn between the 155LRX, 160 HHT and the 140 Bulldozer 2 for my mono load.

Last edited:
Wow, guys, thanks for all the replies and the welcome. Sounds like a bunch of great people here!

Hammer bullet users:
Any idea what percentage of the Hammer bullet weight is left to the shank after the pedals have separated?
This from HAMMER BULLETS website,
"Hammer Hunter line is our long range or high bc line of bullets. This was the original line of bullets. These bullets all have 1.5mm hollow point and are typically 60%-70% weight retention."
Welcome from SW Illinois!

I'm gearing up to reload mostly for the 6.8W. This past fall I saw an ad for a garage sale where the older gentleman was selling all his reloading equipment and supplies. I tried buying only the equipment but he wouldn't split up the deal. I just looked through everything again and realized I already have something I've been having trouble locating…
IMG_1930.jpeg

Last edited:
Don't be afraid to go light for caliber on mono bullets. Many folks are having great success with a Barnes 130 grn. TTSX out of a .308. You can get them humming along around 3200 fps! I plan on loading these in one of my .308 this spring. Barnes even makes a factory load with the 130 grn for the .308.

Im running 150 grn Barnes TTSXs out of my 300 WSM at 3200 fps and whacked a nice whitetail this year with that load.

With all that being said, Hammer has similar options/offerings with the light for caliber loadings. I just haven't tried them yet since I can usually find Barnes on the shelf for a reasonable price at my LGS.