New .358 Cal-215gr Hammer HHT

I run a 24" barrel with 1:12 twist.

IMR 8208 XBR got me to 2900 fps when I started seeing pressure signs.

Varget produced 2925 fps safely and will probably be my hunting load.

I used Hornady brass and CCI 250s for both loads, but I think I could gain 25 fps with comparable pressure by switching to CCI 200 and upping the charge by a half a grain or so. I think 8208 especially would benefit from the cooler primer because of how fast it burns.

I'll probably just switch to CCI 200 primers, load my max charge of Varget, confirm velocity and accuracy, and call it good for this deer season. I'll continue load development next year if I get frisky.

I realize this is somewhat overkill for whitetail, but Iowa demands 35 cal or bigger, so I built it out of malicious compliance. Recoil is the only downside, it'll put one on you shooting from a bench in a t-shirt.
Same here that's why I'm developing a 35 myself because of Iowa's **** rule lol.

We recently made an alteration to the Absolute design that might help this. We have not yet had the chance to try it in the

We recently made an alteration to the Absolute design that might help this. We have not yet had the chance to try it in the bigger calibers.
Hi Steve,
Sorry for the thread drift, but was wondering if you have a propellant suggestion for the 151 gr .308 absolute hammer. I have a custom 30-06 with a 25" 1:10 Bartlein 5R barrel on a Defiance action. For me it's what's old is new again, and the nerd in me wants to see how far modern propellants and projectiles can push a 120 year old cartridge into the modern age, and just maybe turn a few heads. I've got a couple pounds of 4166 sit'n around but am not sure if it's too fast. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. My 35 Whelen build at LRI in Sturgis will soon be getting started as well, so I'm also interested in where to start load development with the 215 gr round as well.
Cheers
John

Recent Posts