Never Spoil your Bird Dog!

Milly is a great dog so far, but a chewer. LOL 3 hats, 1 pair of shoes, A good Carhart coat, gloves. She ate the entire cuff off if the sleeve.. Teeth like a razor but we still love her. I guess with a pup you have that for a while. Today I had to pull some strings out of her ***. 😆

Attachments

• 20240531_174159.jpg
    20240531_174159.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 47
Milly is a great dog so far, but a chewer. LOL 3 hats, 1 pair of shoes, A good Carhart coat and multiple gloves. Ate the entire cuff off of the coat. I guess we have to call it puppy problems. Today I had to pull some strings out of her ***, the was the finger of a glove and some other remnants attached in the poop. Ugh. Lol
1717197216683.png

We finally replaced our dog we had put down in the fall. I was just getting ready to buy another chocolate Lab and I found a Black Labradoodle an elderly (older than us) couple had and got hit with health issues. She was 5 1/2 mo old and we have had her a couple months now. She doesn't realize she is a working dog. Seems to have a good nose and is already spoiled.
View attachment 575889
View attachment 575891
View attachment 575892
You'll need to get another couch for the humans. HA

Milly is a great dog so far, but a chewer. LOL 3 hats, 1 pair of shoes, A good Carhart coat, gloves. She ate the entire cuff off if the sleeve.. Teeth like a razor but we still love her. I guess with a pup you have that for a while. Today I had to pull some strings out of her ***. 😆
After having a adult dog it's easy to forget about the puppy stage until you get one and are reminded. lol
It's been a while for me but if I remember correctly there's lots of NO

Love puppies, but that first year is a bitch. My pup got into a box of purple nitrile gloves. The yard looked like it was blooming with small purple flowers.
You and your dog are extremely lucky the pup didn't get obstructed. The pup may have been a member of the zipper club. Many years ago, my new pup lab chewed a pair of my shorts and got corked up. Took him to the emergency vet and they gave some roto rooter meds. He passed the cloth and we were able to match the fabric to the chew hole. (Otherwise it would have been surgery and lots of $$$). $300 later we went home. The pup had a belly and butt ache for a few days, and we were out a few bucks, but it was a lesson in what not to let him chew. Lessons learned.

we have learned to take everything out of the truck, move everything in the house except we didn't realize she was sneaking in the other room and chewing my coat. When she grabs this stuff is in the shop and at our parents houses.
The obstruction deal and cutting them open is getting to be a favorite thing of some vet clinics around us. I have talked to no less than 5 people that the vets did this and there was never anything found on any of them. I may be lucky but have had dogs for 55 years of my life and never had one die of an obstruction or heartworm. Not saying it doesnt happen but there is a huge amount of money spent on these two things.

we have learned to take everything out of the truck, move everything in the house except we didn't realize she was sneaking in the other room and chewing my coat. When she grabs this stuff is in the shop and at our parents houses.
The obstruction deal and cutting them open is getting to be a favorite thing of some vet clinics around us. I have talked to no less than 5 people that the vets did this and there was never anything found on any of them. I may be lucky but have had dogs for 55 years of my life and never had one die of an obstruction or heartworm. Not saying it doesnt happen but there is a huge amount of money spent on these two things.
I dont remember the name of that roto rooter meds the vet gave our pup, but he bazooka pooped enough for 3 pups for an hour. We insisted he get an xray that confirmed the position of the cloth obstruction. We got lucky it showed up. Pups are worse than little kids sometimes.

You and your dog are extremely lucky the pup didn't get obstructed. The pup may have been a member of the zipper club. Many years ago, my new pup lab chewed a pair of my shorts and got corked up. Took him to the emergency vet and they gave some roto rooter meds. He passed the cloth and we were able to match the fabric to the chew hole. (Otherwise it would have been surgery and lots of $$$). $300 later we went home. The pup had a belly and butt ache for a few days, and we were out a few bucks, but it was a lesson in what not to let him chew. Lessons learned.

My dog JD ( short for Jack Daniel's ) chewed up a toy and swallowed part of it. It got stuck in his small intestine, he wasn't eating ( not like him ). Took him to one vet he was to busy, mean while I was shoving small pieces of chicken down his throat trying to get him to eat and keep him alive.

Got him to another vet and some X-rays, was six days later they showed me the pictures and said they needed to operate now. So $1500.00 dollars later he's better and I don't leave him with toys he can swallow.

Attachments

• IMG_2354.JPG
    IMG_2354.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 42
My 3.5 yr. old English Lab "Jack" is still in puppy stage I guess. Like 1mechanic stated, no
20240530_181924.jpg
more plastic toys. He chews up and destroys everything he can. A red ball once disappeared. Saw one piece of it on floor. For two days red pieces in his doggy logs. No more toys like that since. My older Chesapeake "Whiskey" doesn't chew things up.

I dont remember the name of that roto rooter meds the vet gave our pup, but he bazooka pooped enough for 3 pups for an hour. We insisted he get an xray that confirmed the position of the cloth obstruction. We got lucky it showed up. Pups are worse than little kids sometimes.
C-130 Dude. Thought you'd like this photo.
Screenshot_20240601_073050_Gmail.jpg

My dog JD ( short for Jack Daniel's ) chewed up a toy and swallowed part of it. It got stuck in his small intestine, he wasn't eating ( not like him ). Took him to one vet he was to busy, mean while I was shoving small pieces of chicken down his throat trying to get him to eat and keep him alive.

Got him to another vet and some X-rays, was six days later they showed me the pictures and said they needed to operate now. So $1500.00 dollars later he's better and I don't leave him with toys he can swallow.
The way we feel about our dogs is that there is no maximum amount I would spend for their care. They are our kids and there isn't anything I wouldn't do for them.