Need Advice for a New Sheep & Goat Pack

+ Kifaru I wish I would have purchased one years ago. I use it year round for every hunt back county or not. It would be tough to justify price for one Hunt is the only down fall.

I guide in Alaska and I use both the Barney's and the Kuiu packs. They both have their pluses and minuses. For me personally use the Barney's exclusively now. It offers a VERY good system for me and most that use them.
While hauling 100+ pound loads (which are brutal) it is much more able to over the kuiu.
Yes there are others but I went with the suggestions from multiple guys in the guide business. My wife calls me a pack whore (along with tents) as I have tried dozens of them over a 30+ year time span.

Kifaru. If I was to buy a new pack that's what it would be. I've had the Kuiu Icon Pro and it's light but I don't think it'll take the weight and abuse as well. I also have a Mystery Ranch With the guide lite mt frame. It's definitely a tough pack but it's on the heavy side

Look at the Outdoorsmans Packs. I've used them with great success and they're extremely versatile, comfortable, MADE IN THE USA, great customer service, quiet and I've never had a issue with them. I own their LongRange pack system and am also waiting on one of their smaller packs.

Kifaru is also a solid option and they build the pack to your body dimensions/measurements.

I would call both of these companies and get good feel for what they recommend. Both are solid choices, I've used both with no issues.
There are some good videos on YouTube that review the Outdoorsmans.

Last edited:
Every situation is different. What fits me won't fit you and the kind of hikes I go on may be different from yours. Fifty years ago I carried a military cargo pack that was terrible but we adapted and survived. My first hunting packs were canvass Trapper Nelson's of various sizes, some attached to cheap aluminum frames that had padded waist belts and straps and they were a great improvement. I moved on to best quality Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) packs that were miles ahead of the rest at the time but they had issues carrying heavy loads. I tried a bunch of others since and now I have a couple of Osprey packs, a 55 for backpacking and a 38 for day packing. I can't carry anything bigger because I have become too fragile. My advice to you is go for an internal frame pack that tapers to the top. We used to call them A frame packs but now they have less taper. With a load on in steep mountain country you have to keep the majority of your weight close to your body and below your shoulders for stability. The higher that weight is and the farther it gets away from you the more likely you are to be thrown off balance if you step on something that moves - and you will many times. You pack your sleeping bag and pad at the very bottom of your pack because it cushions you when you land on you butt. Straps are a problem with most packs when the loads get up in the 80 to 100 pound range. They slip in those plastic buckles so a wrap of duct tape helps keep them from moving. The biggest and most comfortable waist belt helps tremendously because you adjust it so 60 to 70 percent of the weight is on your hips. I like adjusting my shoulder straps so I can take more weight on my shoulders if I lean forward and less if I lean back. Try and get a rig that will carry you rifle comfortably but leave it kind of accessible. Goat country here in BC is also grizzly country. I don't know which end of the province you are hunting but it makes a difference because the south end can be very warm in the early season and the north end can be very cold in the high mountains. I am going on too long on this, good luck on your hunt.

Check out Mystery Ranch for sure. They have many different size configurations and are bullet proof. Great meat packing capability. A friend also uses a Barney's pack from Anchorage Ak. It's a great pack as well

I have used the Barney's pack on a Dall sheep hunt. It worked great and can be loaded with more than I want to carry. As you know, external frame and strong. A lot of guides in Alaska use Barney's. That, and the guides recommendation was the reason I have them.

Astraplane backpack by Mystery Ranch. Buy it from REI. Last pack you will ever need. Very adjustable for all body types. Specifically designed for high altitude and heavy loads. A better more adjustable pack can't be found. Osprey is a close 2nd.

I have a Kuiu pack I am going to try out...terrible to see all the bad reviews--I had high hopes...I used an eberlestock J107 for quite some time...heavy but very tough...a good pack...I bought an outdoorsman Optics pack I have not used as I got it used for a good deal...I also have a Barneys frame pack..definitely worth the coin.

Made my living carrying a rucksack- now anything better than that gets good grades from me.

HOWEVER- I've had a few models and packed out several deer and elk with them.

Kuiu makes a good pack and the squeak issue was long ago remedied. This is probably the lightest high quality pack of them all. There are definitely horror stories of guides using this pack for months and several animals and breaking it. I packed out two deer and an elk. Any time you have two elk quarters in a pack it isn't gonna be comfortable regardless. But it handled large whitetail bucks quartered up like a champ.

Then I tried Exo-- listen to EH 338-- the Exo is the one stop shop-- superbly well thought out, comfortable and a true hunters pack. Carried deer and elk in it with no issues. K2 model with 3500 and 5500 bags. Best belt and harness sytem out there and the same with the load shelf.

MR makes a nice bag but a bit heavier and more complex than I care for and same with Kifaru plus the price. But I've had buddies snag the MRs on sale and do really well with them!

Made my living carrying a rucksack- now anything better than that gets good grades from me.

HOWEVER- I've had a few models and packed out several deer and elk with them.

Kuiu makes a good pack and the squeak issue was long ago remedied. This is probably the lightest high quality pack of them all. There are definitely horror stories of guides using this pack for months and several animals and breaking it. I packed out two deer and an elk. Any time you have two elk quarters in a pack it isn't gonna be comfortable regardless. But it handled large whitetail bucks quartered up like a champ.

Then I tried Exo-- listen to EH 338-- the Exo is the one stop shop-- superbly well thought out, comfortable and a true hunters pack. Carried deer and elk in it with no issues. K2 model with 3500 and 5500 bags. Best belt and harness sytem out there and the same with the load shelf.

MR makes a nice bag but a bit heavier and more complex than I care for and same with Kifaru plus the price. But I've had buddies snag the MRs on sale and do really well with them!
There is a difference between heavy and durable. I have one of the original Dana Design Astraplane packs and you can't wear the things out. The fact that the new MR designs are under contract to the SEALS and USAF Pararescue troops speaks volumes to me. They are USA all the way and worth our support.

There is a difference between heavy and durable. I have one of the original Dana Design Astraplane packs and you can't wear the things out. The fact that the new MR designs are under contract to the SEALS and USAF Pararescue troops speaks volumes to me. They are USA all the way and worth our support.

I learned long ago not to base my decisions on what uncle sam and his contracting officers think. While certainly elite those units don't live out of their rucksacks (or carry them to target) and I'm not looking for an assault pack to hunt out of.

EXO is also USA Made so I'm really not sure where you were going with your post.

I learned long ago not to base my decisions on what uncle sam and his contracting officers think. While certainly elite those units don't live out of their rucksacks (or carry them to target) and I'm not looking for an assault pack to hunt out of.

EXO is also USA Made so I'm really not sure where you were going with your post.
I guess that since EXO cost twice as much to only save ounces in weight doesn't strike me as value. I have climbed over 25 14,000 + peaks and carried up to 100# in my pack with no failure of any components. I think we are both saying the same thing. I suspect that EVO must make a good product or they wouldn't still be in business at that price point. I think the Original Poster couldn't go wrong with either of our recommendations.

Well, after putting in for 54-56 tags annually across the united States for 13yrs this past year, I again have not drawn a sheep or goat tag yet.. So, I booked a goat hunt for this coming season in BC.... I feel like I need a new pack... I am an old school pack guy when it comes to elk, moose and all other smaller four legged game... at lower altitudes.. I need some good advice for a good 10 day mountain pack for sheep and goat. Also I am un-proportionate in build. Built like a wrestler... Solid upper body 5'7" with a 46" chest, 36" waist. So I need something forgiving to the shorter torso man. I have looked at Barneys, Mystic Ranch, Kuiu.... and everyone I know has a different opinion.. I was also told Exo packs too...

I need some experienced help..

Thanks
I took my son on a Elk hunt this past fall. We both used the outdoorsman long range hunting packs. They worked very well. I like how easily you transport meat with them as well there comfort. Packs are well built and tough and comfortable. Lots of adjustments within the pack.
5FD10E71-DEBA-4E27-8E27-1F86E2D5BB7C.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.