Dall Sheep Research Advice needed

YEP PRICE KEEPS GOING UP AND WE STILL EAT SPAM AND RICE ON THE TRAIL AND IN SPIKE CAMPS, I JUST LOVE RICE , I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO GET THE GRANDSLAM IN 2004 #1195 , NOW TO OLD TO HUNT GROUDHOGS,,

Well it's finally time for me to start doing research on Dall Sheep outfitters. I'm starting to save up and will be ready sometime in 2019, 2020, or 2021 depending on the cost of the hunt. I've already contacted a few outfitters and have heard back from a couple but I know its the busy season for them. I'm hoping anyone on here who's done a Dall hunt can provide me some feedback on who they used and the cost of the hunt (if you don't mind me asking). I'm just trying to get the process started so I can start narrowing down the gigantic list of outfitters out there to really start digging and planning. Thanks!

I would stick with Dickson - lots of sheep (worst thing you can have happen is not see sheep). By using horses he will cover more ground and will move camps if the sheep have moved to a different drainage. Cant do that on horses. He also has a solid base camp.

Has anyone tried the application services for sheep tags? Outside of paying for AK/CA it seems you really need some luck and to build points up over the years.

Has anyone tried the application services for sheep tags? Outside of paying for AK/CA it seems you really need some luck and to build points up over the years.

So if you are a non resident the odds are really against you if there are no preference points. The application services basically just charge you a fee or front you some $$ but it does cost u some $$.

It took me 20 years and that many preference points to draw a bighorn tag in Wyoming but I applied every year myself. It is not hard. Twenty years before I went dall sheep hunting and 3 years after that mt goat hunting. My advice is book a dall sheep hunt with someone in the Yukon while you are young and then just enter the draws every year and hope you get lucky. It takes discipline but saves u a few $$.

That's a good question. Sheep have become so highly valued, it's boggling. As a Canadian Resident, a lot of guys consider getting drawn a once in a lifetime opportunity. I got started early, maybe I'll get two cracks at a bighorn.

I spent some time with Dave Dickson and his family at the sheep show this year. Even after 25 yrs. since hunting with him, he remembered me and my hunt. Just a great guy. He won Outfitter of the Year at the show and certainly deserves it. He is the outfitter for the only sheep tag given each year for the Kluane First Nation property. He had video of a tremendous ram and the tag for this season sold for $230,000! Can't wait until the 2019 show to see if they got that ram.

1: decide the type sheep hunt you want. Horseback, super cub, helicopter, back pack, etc.

Be honest with yourself. Can you really hike with 35/50 lbs of gear over rough country for ten days. And if you're lucky a real heavy load out. I killed my ram at 5:15pm on day 10 of a 10 day hunt. 9 miles from camp. We got to camp very late, wet and tired. But so happy!!!

2: where you want to hunt.
NWT, Yukon, Alaska
My personal choices in order.

(Another vote for Stan Stevens)

3: my opinion is to concentrate on sheep, rather than multiple species. Kill a moose and you loose a day or more off your sheep hunt.

4: cost.
I would rather have to wait two more years than buy a cheaper hunt , only to be disappointed.
Beware of bargain sheep hunts.

Last, FIND A WAY AND GO!
Sheep hunting is the best hunting there is. If my body were not broke down I would sheep hunt every year I could!
You will NEVER forget your sheep hunts! Worth every penny!

You will love sheep hunting or you will hate it, Go Yukon, Alaska is mostly packpak
Yukon horse back, They safe a lot of steps and along you have the pleasure of taking in the in the view , I hunter with Jim Fink of Blackstone Safaris, and Dave Dickson
Go to the FNAWS show in Reno , That is the greatest show on earth, No flyby night outfitter, Also check around for a cancelled hunts, Run your hunts like a business, ask the right question, as for guides they want to get done early to get back in town, don't try to ride and rope with those guides ,Explain to your guide you worked long and hard to sheep hunt, be honest, And have a great hunt, I was lucky to have a mentor Reed Steinmetz who started the Eastern Chapter of Wild Sheep, God Bless and safe Hunting

Has anyone here heard of Shawn Stone with Alaska's Greatland Outfitters or know anything about his services? Saw him at the Backwoods Show in Oklahoma City today.
A sheep hunt has always been in the back of my mind, but after talking to him it has lit a fire in me to try it. So I've been looking around for info and other possible guides.
At 53, I'm not getting any younger so I better try and get this done sooner than later. And it looks like Alaska might be the best option since you don't have to draw a tag. Also it seems from what I've seen so far, it may be the cheapest option (sorry, but finances cause me to look for more affordable options)

Hello , Most Alaska Hunts are backpack, Not to say you are old but backpack hunt can spoil a hunt I seen many hunters give up because of the physical demand that is required, Give Dave Dickson a call in the Yukon, The only problem is HE HAS TO MANY SHEEP , and two many eyes , LOL The pic you see is the one I took with Dave, Great Hunt
His hunt are horse hunt,

Attachments

• sheep.JPG
    sheep.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 159
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts