Neck turning with a forster trimmer

GW Hunter

I don't really want to neck turn for a factory chambered rifle, but am getting closer to maybe cleaning up the necks a bit. Maybe 50% worth... I've used a forster trimmer forever and I see that a turning tool accessory is available for pretty cheap. Does any one turn with one of these? Do you like it? I know that there are better, easier tools out there but I'm not looking to drop a couple hundred bucks or so for another tool at the moment. Any opinions are appreciated...

I agree with rsmithsr, don't think you would get much consistency.

If you're looking for accuracy in a factory rifle, I would suggest buying a mandrel & die to push case neck variables to the outside, leaving a concentric neck interior. That's cheaper than getting set-up for neck turning.

I turn brass for everything, but still use a mandrel. A stand-alone mandrel/die will give you consistent seating tension and increased accuracy. Just order a mandrel .xxxx under your caliber for the tension you want. I use the K&M die, but there are several others.

I turn brass for everything, but still use a mandrel. A stand-alone mandrel/die will give you consistent seating tension and increased accuracy. Just order a mandrel .xxxx under your caliber for the tension you want. I use the K&M die, but there are several others.

I aagree. And, I have the Forester neck turner which attaches to their case trimmer. It is a ***. Depths are inconsistent; the case stop is junk and the cutter leaves high and low scrapes. I also have K&M's set for each caliber I turn. Will never use the Forester again, except for trim length.

I agree with rsmithsr, don't think you would get much consistency.

If you're looking for accuracy in a factory rifle, I would suggest buying a mandrel & die to push case neck variables to the outside, leaving a concentric neck interior. That's cheaper than getting set-up for neck turning.

I do use the sinclair neck turn mandrel and expander die to get consistent tension. That's why I said in my op that I am getting close to start turning. I mean, what's one more step and tool in the process at this point? Just need to find the right moment to tell the boss that I "really need" another tool. It seems like I "really need" some component or another about once every other week... Thanks for the opinions.

Look at it this way, if you want consistent neck thickness buy the tool that will do what you want or what's the point of doing it.
I used an RCBS for a few years untill I started measuring my turned necks and I asked myself why am I even turning these necks other than I have to on some of my wildcats.
So I bought a K@M figuring I might as well get the best consistent neck I can if I'm gonna do it.

forster trimmer
I use a Lyman outside turner, that works about the same off my trimmer as a Forster. Seems ok. Buy i only mic the loaded rounds.

The Lyman attachment has been discontinued, this tells me something. OUTDATED/obsolete.

There are better methods today , i would guess, but at my age, not going to invest in newer stuff.

I found i can turn neck and still use a standard RCBS fl die in 223 & 243 Win.
But found that the Redding fl type S Bushing die provides better accuracy by sizing only 1/2 of the necks for the 243.

Only the target knows what works. Bushing neck sizing_zpsdrqj9rw8.JPG

I too use a Lyman with the neck turn attachment. It works just fine and produces evenly trimmed necks. It is MUCH faster and easier to use than any of the hand versions I have tried. The hand versions do a great job, but I don't see a more even neck than I get from the Lyman. I don't know if the Forrestor trimmers are made to the same tolerances as the Lyman as I have never owned one of theirs.

If you enjoy the tinkering part, and don't mind spending a bit extra, look around for a used mini lathe.

Easier to justfiy to the boss if you position it as being a multi purpose tool, etc.

Lee makes a three jaw universal holder that can fit into the tailstock, or you can turn a rod to press fit a normal shellholder.

The neck sizing mandrel goes in the chuck.

I spent a bit of time looking at different neck turners, then I realised I already have a small lathe and all the necessary bits to do the same job.

Not a fan of the Forster foe this operation. I use the Sinclair and as GLTaylor said, "Easy, quick, and consistent."

Neck Turning Kit

Universal shell holder

Add a shell holder for another $7.00 and your set for $130.00-$140.00 shipped and taxed. If you want to add another caliber, two mandrels and a shell holder can be had for about $30.00/caliber.

I do use the sinclair neck turn mandrel and expander die to get consistent tension. That's why I said in my op that I am getting close to start turning. I mean, what's one more step and tool in the process at this point? Just need to find the right moment to tell the boss that I "really need" another tool. It seems like I "really need" some component or another about once every other week... Thanks for the opinions.
I have used the sinclair neck Turner for years and it's a very good tool and results are great !

I aagree. And, I have the Forester neck turner which attaches to their case trimmer. It is a ***. Depths are inconsistent; the case stop is junk and the cutter leaves high and low scrapes. I also have K&M's set for each caliber I turn. Will never use the Forester again, except for trim length.

Several years ago, early in my reloading career, I purchased the K&M setup to turn necks. I had been having a flyer problem with my 6.5 Creedmoor, and had read somewhere that the problem could be alleviated by turning necks to a uniform thickness. So... purchased the K&M neck turning gear. Well.... the flyer problem almost completely vanished. Now, when I get a flyer, I know it's me. And the uniform necks helped to tighten shot groups. Tight groups are SO necessary when ladder testing and seating depth testing. I could never have made much progress with my long distance shooting without uniforming a number of aspects in case prep. Uniformed necks was one of those. And... K&M tools are an absolute pleasure to use.

K& M is a very small company, however their customer service is among the best. They're right up there with the Berger Bullets tech reps for quality of helpfulness. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.