Neck turning with a forster trimmer

So maybe there are faster ways to do it. But I have no trouble getting a uniform 14 thou thickness using turning attachments on my Forster trimmer. I measured my results with Starrett ball micrometer and result was great. Just use a good mandrel expander die (i use 21st century) so it fits perfectly on turning mandrel in your Forster lathe.

Last edited:
I prep all new brass while it is shinny new. Run expander in and check for length and trim all to a uniform length, If you don't your cutter will not be consistence where it touches the shoulder, turn all neaks, Deburr inside and outside, very little on outside. While in the drill I polish each neck with 0000 steel wool. clean up flash holes, Then uniform primer pockets. All ready to load.

So would this be the process for new brass?

It just needs to be done anytime just once in life of the brass. It's surprising how non-uniform brass necks can be. My 308 Lapua brass varied by 0.5-1 thou and military brass was off 1-1.5 thou. But I used the Forster lathe to make them perfect 13.5 thou. Just do it slow and use cutting oil or imperial sizing wax

I don't really want to neck turn for a factory chambered rifle, but am getting closer to maybe cleaning up the necks a bit. Maybe 50% worth... I've used a forster trimmer forever and I see that a turning tool accessory is available for pretty cheap. Does any one turn with one of these? Do you like it? I know that there are better, easier tools out there but I'm not looking to drop a couple hundred bucks or so for another tool at the moment. Any opinions are appreciated...
I use a Forster Neck lathe. The first time you set it up can be a little confusing, after that it's pretty straight forward. Make sure you use the neck turning pilots and not the trimming pilots. When I bought mine It came with 4 or 5 collets the cutting head and a nice storage case. It does a very good job.

*Side note* When I set up to turn necks, I bought a cheap pair magnified glasses like a jeweler would wear, so that I can cut/turn ALL the way down to the bottom of the neck just at the break of the shoulder so that you don't get the "dreaded donut". You'll only need them for the set-up. After that, go ahead at full speed.

They may be better units out there.......maybe!, maybe not.
I've had mine 20+ years and I can't find a reason to try any other.
my.02 cents

Steve C

Whoever said that you can save money in the long run by reloading your own ammo had no clue what he was talking about.

You sure got that right. I remember hearing that said when I was a teenager, and it didn't take me very long to figure out that somebody was pulling my leg. There's always some new gadget or widget, and a lot of them really do what they're supposed to do. I think you're pursuing this from the right angle, by asking the guys here on this forum before you sink any more $$$$ into yet another tool. Get the right tool for the job, even if it costs a few bucks more. THAT will save you money in the long run. The comment I see posted here all the time is "buy once, cry once."

Handloading is an expensive hobby, but it a very satisfying one. It is also inextricably linked to our other expensive hobbies - shooting & hunting. It would really suck to wait a dozen years and finally draw a coveted tag, and then miss the big one because of not working all the bugs out of the load.

Tried it years ago. But when I get 1/2" 5 shot groups with prepped (no turning) brass, I've concluded no application for banging steel or hunting.

I don't really want to neck turn for a factory chambered rifle, but am getting closer to maybe cleaning up the necks a bit. Maybe 50% worth... I've used a forster trimmer forever and I see that a turning tool accessory is available for pretty cheap. Does any one turn with one of these? Do you like it? I know that there are better, easier tools out there but I'm not looking to drop a couple hundred bucks or so for another tool at the moment. Any opinions are appreciated...
I use the Forster hand tool very similar to Sinclair and K&M the case holder is not great but if you are only doing a few at a time it works. The Sinclair drill adaptor is a great addition if you are doing lots well worth the $20-30. Just my $0.02

I have used the Hornady and RCBS and Sinclair neck turners. Thanks to my Father-in-law. That's why I bought the K&M system.
Theirs no comparison to the precision of the K&M neck turner to these 3 brands of neck turners.
There are 2 other companies out there that make a precision neck turner and they are priced right at the price point of the K&M system. The reviews are great on them also. As the saying goes,, Buy Once, Cry Once. Ask my father-in-law about that one. I'm not saying you can't produce hole in hole ammo with Hornady, RCBS, Or Sinclair. I'm saying, the level of precision that I require, requires a Precision TOOL such as the K&M.
A 0.25 group only means your going home a looser that day, and coming in second only means you were the first looser. So, My question to you is,,,, What level of precision are you wanting to achieve???
PRECISION=$$$

I have used the Hornady and RCBS and Sinclair neck turners. Thanks to my Father-in-law. That's why I bought the K&M system.
Theirs no comparison to the precision of the K&M neck turner to these 3 brands of neck turners.
There are 2 other companies out there that make a precision neck turner and they are priced right at the price point of the K&M system. The reviews are great on them also. As the saying goes,, Buy Once, Cry Once. Ask my father-in-law about that one. I'm not saying you can't produce hole in hole ammo with Hornady, RCBS, Or Sinclair. I'm saying, the level of precision that I require, requires a Precision TOOL such as the K&M.
A 0.25 group only means your going home a looser that day, and coming in second only means you were the first looser. So, My question to you is,,,, What level of precision are you wanting to achieve???
PRECISION=$$$
This is the hand tool by Forster very similar.

Attachments

• DA7F0AE6-3BD2-4B26-9667-C362E2014C2C.png
    DA7F0AE6-3BD2-4B26-9667-C362E2014C2C.png
    180.8 KB · Views: 110
This is the hand tool by Forster very similar.
There is no comparison to the Forester hand turner and the the K&M turner set-up.

A tubing micrometer is required to measure neck thickness out of the box brass and to adjust the cutter to the neck thickness desired, if you want good results. The K&M mic is top notch and works best mounted in a stand.

Like so many things in reloading, the best results are achieved with top-end tools.

Yup each to his own. I've had it for years and it works great and it's repeatable and accurate. Very little invested, other than the tubing mic and the runout indicator.🙄

Yup each to his own. I've had it for years and it works great and it's repeatable and accurate. Very little invested, other than the tubing mic and the runout indicator.🙄
You said the magic words, REPEATABLE & ACCURATE. I expect only the best out of Forster products. I'm glad it's working for you and your getting the results you set out to achieve. In the end, it's all about eliminating variables and you doing your part behind the gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.