28 nosler barrel?

Backcountry_IDN

Narrowed down my next build to a 28.

Curious on what short barrel length I could get away with in everyone's opinion? I will run a can MOST of the time.

Looking to make a pack rifle.

From the search it looks like everyone's going with a 26/28 inch barrel.

Thanks

My 28 Nos is a 26" 1:8". I get 3084fps w. a moderate load of IMR8133.
I can't see going shorter than 24" for a 28 Nosler. I have 4 other 26" barreled suppressed rifles. While long, they are fine for western hunting.

If it's going to be a pack rifle , I want a total barrel of no more than 26 inch or so, maybe you can deal with more. My western hunting often involves alaska- like alder and yew brush. YMMV.

So I'd lop the barrel at 20" if the silencer manufacturer is ok with it. Mine is ok with a 20 inch 300 win mag class round. A short 28 nosler is still wayyyy faster than a short 7 saum or likewise. People start screaming about short barrels being inefficient but ever see what guys shoot out of specialty pistols? 300 rum and such from 15-18" barrels. Efficiency is whatever helps you get the job done best.

For a cartridge as large and burning as much powder as the 28 Nosler, I would do a 26" barrel at least. You could probably get away with a 24" since you're running a can, but I really like to see 26" barrels on magnums. Others have successfully used shorter barrels, but for me 26" is the sweet spot. Just my thoughts.

I have a 22" 28 Sherman and run the 184 Berger at 3005fps, and I'm satisfied. I went with the shorter barrel for the same reasons the OP is considering...

I know this is a year old, but I'm building an 18" 28 nosler on a lone peak razor Ti. Running a nomad dead air suppressor with e brake. Action should show up any day, and I'm doing paperwork for the can next week. Hopefully I can launch 175-180 grainers at 3000fps. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I know this is a year old, but I'm building an 18" 28 nosler on a lone peak razor Ti. Running a nomad dead air suppressor with e brake. Action should show up any day, and I'm doing paperwork for the can next week. Hopefully I can launch 175-180 grainers at 3000fps. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
This otta be interesting 🤔. I like inefficient, short barreled magnums with cans. Still kill so far away.

This otta be interesting 🤔. I like inefficient, short barreled magnums with cans. Still kill so far away.
I've got a 30" 300 rum, so why not do the total opposite of that build. Haha. I'm excited. I still need to decide between a chassis or a composite/carbon stock. I want this gun as versatile as possible. I want to be able to throw it up fast and have it be comfortable in still hunting situations and yet be able to touch something out there at 6-800 yards if needs be. I saw a guy do a 16" pistol 28 nosler and he was getting 2867fps out of the 180's using retumbo, and a couple other guys were 2800 ish with 195's and 18" barrels. Inefficient for the round, but short, light, and handy will be nice.

I run a stock Savage/Proof 24" with VX6 3-18 (8.5lb with brake/sling) and get all the velocity/accuracy I need. Runs barely under my 7STW 26" for velocity.

I run a stock Savage/Proof 24" with VX6 3-18 (8.5lb with brake/sling) and get all the velocity/accuracy I need. Runs barely under my 7STW 26" for velocity.
I've got a 26" 30 nosler carbon six on a savage 110 with a vx3i that is a tack driver. Just shot 2 yotes at 958 and 962 last week. I just want more guns. Ha. Always aquire, never sell. This build, with the Ti action, vx5 scope, and light stock or chassis, should make for a nice backpacking gun for my frank church back country bear, elk, and deer hunts.

Did you finish the build?

I have a 28" barrel and push the 180 Berger at 3190 with Retumbo. I am accustomed to long barreled rifles and its not that bad. I was still able to swing on both my elk last season in the bush and drop them with one shot each, 50 yards, and 70 yards. The performance is really nice when I stretch its legs, my deer last year at 760 yards only took 3.3mils of correction to and my bear at 380yards only took .9 mils.
I would go with a 7 saum or 7 PRC with a 20-22" barrel if i wanted a can on a rifle and still crush game out to 750 with a 168gr-180gr class bullet.

Recent Posts