My sons first bear on his 8th birthday

Creedmoor shooter

My son killed his first bear yesterday on his 8th birthday. Beyond proud of him! It was a wet sit in the rain, but we are leaving for AZ soon so wanted to get out. Been having good activity at the bait site. Bear came into the bait 1/2 before dark. He was sitting on my lap in the tree stand so I helped him get ready. He has a broken arm in a cast so he has to shoot one handed so I helped support the rifle for him. Bear starts to circle the bait and he was worried it was leaving. I told him not to worry it was just getting up wind from the bait. It came down and he got ready. I flipped the safety off his 6.5 creedmoor loaded with my handloads of the 140 eld-m. I told him when he was ready to shoot. He shot and I immediately knew the bear was hit HARD. It spun and took of on a death sprint for 20 yards and collapsed and did the death moan right under our stand! After that the celebration started then the real work began on getting this thing out of the woods. It was a miserable, rainy, mud and mucky mess but in a couple hours we were able to get it out. Beyond proud of him to stick it out in the rain, with a broken arm, shooting one handed to make it happen. These are the memories we'll remember for ever and am very thankful to God for allowing me to pass the legacy of hunting down to my son and teach him.

the 140 eld-m did its job. Made a full exit with a golf ball sized hole. Unfortunately due to the circumstances i was unable to take photos to document the terminal performance.
20230910_192557.jpg
received_820261066218711.jpeg