My Son Got His 1st Michigan Bear

Rhino Hunter

A7774EFE-2D8C-46BB-8D16-85589F885E44.jpeg
073544D3-EC8F-497A-AEC6-6AD1BC43A9F4.jpeg
F29A299A-3188-4882-BCE2-AFD237E84244.jpeg
My son is 22 and will be graduating from Michigan Technoligical University this fall w/ a Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering. For those of you not familiar with MTU it's one of the best engineering schools in the Midwest located in the Western Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It's 550 miles from our home in SE Michigan.

So for an early college graduation present I decided to buy him a guided bear hunt. I also took this opportunity to add to my gun collection. I purchased a Ruger Gunsite Scout in .450 Bushmaster and topped it off with a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4 Red Dot scope. Accurately placing black crosshairs on a black animal in the dark woods can be difficult.

I was with him during the hunt as a paying spectator. LOL.

On the 4th day of a 5 day hunt we were able to get on a real nice bear. With one shot from the .450 BM it dropped in his tracks. It was a close shot (I know this is a LR Forum). I couldn't be prouder.

In Michigan the average adult male black bear weighs 150-200 pounds, and it takes multiple years to build enough points to draw a tag. His bear weighed 457 pounds live weight. It was a "Monster" for Michigan. There is a mandatory 24 hour check-in for the successful hunters here. The DNR officer said to him "Son, this is the bear of a lifetime. If you hunted every year for the rest of your life you'd probably never even see another bear this big." You should have seen my boy smile when he heard that!

After the hunt he told me "Dad, I think I'm hooked on big game hunting now." Perfect!

He looked like a teens bear with the broken teeth. Did you green score him? Looks like he should make the book

He looked like a teens bear with the broken teeth. Did you green score him? Looks like he should make the book

We haven't yet, but we will.

Nice bear!!
I wonder how he'll eat?
Do you guys have to eat them over there?

I'm not sure if we "have to" or not, but I did get the meat processed. We'll probably keep the backstraps and tenderloins and make breakfast and summer sausage out of the rest.

That's awesome. Hope you son understands he has to top that next year lol

HA! I don't think he does. But his brother who's two years younger has already said he wants to go Grizzly hunting when he graduates college to shoot one bigger than his brother. LOL. I don't think my pocket book is big enough for that. "IF" anybody is going Grizzly hunting on my dime it's gonna be me! LOL.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.